Someone talk books with me, please!

Options

Replies

• Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    My books are available on Kindle now (all but one): www.jimwcoleman.com - Enjoy!

Very cool Jim! I will move you to towards the top of the list. I am a nookie girl but I'll let that kindle comment slide ;)
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    oOoMicheleoOo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The 2 that I have read recently that stick in my mind are 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by the same author as 'The Kite Runner' , about a female in Afghanistan. And also 'Prisoner of Tehran'. You can guess what that's about.

Greg Mortenson wrote these^^^^^ and Three Cups of Tea and Stones into Schools as well. Sue Monk Kidd's The Mermaid Chair was good. I started The Hunger Games but I found its parallels to life to depressing so I bailed halfway through number two. I will try t ofinish them in the summer. This summer onvacation I read Runing with Scissor: A Memoir by Augustine Burroughs. (if youare offended by rape or homosexuality it may offend you. It is an autobiography about someone who survive some real horror but it is very good. I also liked A Dog named Slugger by Leigh Brill. Hope one tof these works for you.

The Kite runner was written by Khaled Hosseini I am sure. Possibly wrong.

I like the sound of running with scissors though. may give that a go. thank you
  • brindlechewy
    brindlechewy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. (fiction) This is a story about a racecar driver told from the point of view of his dog. Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy or get into the other two books by this author. I was sure I would love him after this book!

East of Eden by John Steinbeck (classic)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (sci-fi)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (classic)

Love Wins by Rob Bell (pastor of the church I attended for a few years) (EXTREMELY inspirational and makes you think and is NOT religious!). This is also the author of all the NOOMA videos.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn (a crazy book, that's all I can say)

The Space Trilogy (three books) by C.S. Lewis (sci-fi that somehow involves God too)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanence by Robert M. Pirsig

There is no rhyme or reason to this list. These books are as different as they can possibly be from one another. They're just ones that have stuck with me since I read them. Some I have read multiple times.

I saw that you mentioned East of Eden. Have you also read The Grapes of Wrath? The tone of the narrative is very different from East of Eden. It's a terrific indictment of the ridiculous social injustices that were perpetrated during the Dustbowl and Great Depression. To think that the story is based on Steinbeck's own experiences in labor camps at the time makes it even worse, especially the scenes that describe children literally dying of starvation. It's hard to believe that such things happened in the United States, and not that long ago.
  • Froggy1976
    Options
    I think I am the only one who didn't love girl with the dragon tatoo! The story was good but the female character was soooo over the top to me. and the names gave me a eyetwitch. lol

The lovely Bones was an AWESOME book - I read it with one hand over my face. lol

The Hunger Games has been promised to be in my hand soon *taps foot

Anyone read Virgin Suicides or Middlesex? Eugenides is the author - crazy good!!!

I need to come back with pen and paper to make a new list!!!!

i loved 'the lovely bones' too.... hated the movie, it ruined it. Also by Alice Sebold, if ytou havent already read it is 'Lucky'. Another fantastic book. Its about a rape victim. Told so well
    I agree about "The Lovely Bones". I read it a few years back and was excited when the movie was coming out but the movie was awful. I have not read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. My son is reading the Hunger Games. One of those will be next on my list.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    I read 'Lucky' too. I recently read "A Secret Rage" by Charlaine Harris and it had a similar intensity to it.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    -I got a Kindle for Christmas and the first book I got was Hunger games, and I am already into the 3rd book they are real page turners.

-I loved the Twilight series and The Host by Stephanie Meyers

- If you are from or live in the South I recommend anything by Joshlyn Jackson, I have read every single book she has written and (she is coming to a book signing in Jackson, MS on the 31st!) loved all of them. Even if you aren't from the South tho I think they are good reads. "Gods in Alabama" was probably my favorite.

- 100 years of Solitude- this is a good book for men or women. Beware though it is very long and seems to drag on forever but it really is a must read IMO.

-The "Something borrowed", and "Something Blue" books by Emily Giffin, they are kind of soap opera-esque though IMO so don't expect too much in terms of intellectual stimulation.

-The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series by Steig Larsson

-Water for Elephants- The book is 10000x better than the movie IMO

-Midwives by Chris Bohjalian- It has been several years since I have read this book, but it was awesome!

-Some Classics I love are: The Great Gatsby, Jane Eyre, Anna Karenina, and Dandelion Wine.

Sorry it's so long lol, I'm a bit of a book nerd.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Litigators by John Grisham. It was good, funny in parts. He is my favorite though....
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    Someone just let me borrow a copy of The Hunger Games. I'll be starting that tonight.

Ohhhhhh The Hunger Games.... by far on of my favoirte books that I have read! I just finished the first book of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... way better than the movie that just came out. Definate must ready as well!
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the Sookie stackhouse books. another fav of mine is the Eragon series
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    The latest TV Guide is a "MUST read".
    I found the plot a bit weak - like I already knew what was going to happen.
    Also, some of the show descriptions are a bit choppy.

I must go with THUMBS DOWN!
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    The Host by Stephanie Meyers

I actually enjoyed The Host.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Dismantled is a really good book.
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The 2 that I have read recently that stick in my mind are 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by the same author as 'The Kite Runner' , about a female in Afghanistan. And also 'Prisoner of Tehran'. You can guess what that's about.

LOVE THESE BOOKS!!!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    Oh yeah Water for Elephants was a lot of fun to read!

I almost forgot Everything She Ever Wanted by Ann Rule - I read so many of her books so fast I can't remember the other names though!!
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    What about Bios?

Stories I only Tell My Friends - Rob Lowe -> Great book.

BossyPants - Tina Fey.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa Lee. Very interesting as it's about being a girl growing up in China in the early 1800s, having her feet bound and what girls were taught and how they were treated back then. Much research went into the book by the author so it's a fascinating and enlightening read.

Is it like Memoirs?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
    by Lisa See

The Book Thief
    by Markus Zusak

First Annual Grand Prairie Rabbit Festival
    by Ken Wheaton

Heretic's Daughter
    by Kathleen Kent

gosh, just to name a few I've read recently...
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    For something light that will make you laugh out loud, I loved *kitten* My Dad Says by Justin Halpern.
  • jack758
    jack758 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich if you haven't read them. They are very funny and they are making a movie about the first one. I read one a couple years ago when I had foot surgery & ended up reading the next 15 in 8 weeks.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

-Midwives by Chris Bohjalian- It has been several years since I have read this book, but it was awesome!

I have read many of Chris Bohjalian books! I love his writing!!