Negative Comments on the Boards

Options
When I first joined MFP, I was all about being active on the boards. Lately though, I have been laying low due to all of the negative posts and responses I have been reading.

Now let me by clear: by negative, I don't mean posting something that respectfully disagrees with another's post, or citing sources that refute someone's claim. If you think an OP was off on their facts, then it's perfectly acceptable to kindly steer them to some information that may be more helpful. But people are just getting down right mean and taunting. This is a place where all should feel free to come ask questions and share experiences. If you are one of those who makes fun of or is disrespectful in your replies, you should feel ashamed of yourself. You are nothing more than a bully and should leave the boards completely and forever.

If you feel the same way I do, let's ban together. We need to be heard louder than those with spiteful words. To me, this doesn't mean we attack those who are being out of line. It means we no longer stay silent. We need to counter-act their hurtful actions with loving and supportive actions of our own.

Who's with me!?

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    This is the internet. If you post on public message boards, you should have thick skin. If someone says something offensive to you, ignore them.

It's a shame MFP does not have an ignore option.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I dropped out of the 'social' aspect of MFP some time ago, because it seemed like there was more snark than support. it can be turned around however.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this! Spiteful and outright mean responses help no-one. This journey is often a struggle and we need positive reinforcement.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. Humans are capable of respectful dialogue.
  • LaLa150
    LaLa150 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's funny you're posting this...I literally JUST finished reading through a post that was 80% people being nasty and rude simply because they disagreed about the infamous "negative calorie foods". My mom always taught me that if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all. Some of these people need to speak to my mom. :wink:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP, I was all about being active on the boards. Lately though, I have been laying low due to all of the negative posts and responses I have been reading.

Now let me by clear: by negative, I don't mean posting something that respectfully disagrees with another's post, or citing sources that refute someone's claim. If you think an OP was off on their facts, then it's perfectly acceptable to kindly steer them to some information that may be more helpful. But people are just getting down right mean and taunting. This is a place where all should feel free to come ask questions and share experiences. If you are one of those who makes fun of or is disrespectful in your replies, you should feel ashamed of yourself. You are nothing more than a bully and should leave the boards completely and forever.

If you feel the same way I do, let's ban together. We need to be heard louder than those with spiteful words. To me, this doesn't mean we attack those who are being out of line. It means we no longer stay silent. We need to counter-act their hurtful actions with loving and supportive actions of our own.

Who's with me!?
    If you see an inappropriate post, no need to form a union, report it.
    Bullying and such is not tolerated here.

REPORT!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    This is the internet. If you post on public message boards, you should have thick skin. If someone says something offensive to you, ignore them.

IT DOES!

Every single person who complains that they don't like what people are saying has a wonderful option. They can set that person to ignore. Once they do that they need never see another post from that person.

Now if people know about this option, elect not to use it and still want to complain about what other people choose to say, well I have no sympathy for them.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    No matter where we are in life we are going to be faced with people who have low self-esteems. To make themselves feel better they treat others like cr@p. These bullies are everywhere in life...at school, at work, at the gym, even on the internet. All we can do is ignore them and focus on the positive. The negative is just noise that we need to learn to drown out by focusing on the people that are kind hearted and positive. :)
  • mrsfoose
    Options
    I get that this is the internet, but it's also supposed to be a supportive community. We're all trying to get in better shape. Being mean isn't the best way to do that. This is the main reason I sometimes think that I want to go to a site where I have to pay to be a member. But then I wouldn't have the awesome support from my friends on here.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

There is an ignore option here....just look at the little arrow under the avatar
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    couldnt agree more. Its getting a joke, since I have been on here it seems more people like to post rude comments just to wind other people up without even adding anything constructive to the thread they were replying too!
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, and have been doing the same thing--laying low and not getting too involved in many threads. Some people like the drama, maybe? Not me. :glasses:
  • harley_rose
    Options
    I agree, if you don't agree with my question/comments/ideas please be kind but not offensive about. We are all here for the same reason to lose weight, we are here for support..The world is full of negative people but here I would think our soul purpose and be supportive, if you need provide guidance then by all means provide the URL you got your information or other forum URL..

Be helpful, supportive.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    "If you think an OP was off on their facts, then it's perfectly acceptable to kindly steer them to some information that may be more helpful."

Except it's not even acceptable to do that; I'm about 99% off the main forums entirely because I lost track of how many times I was called rude, hateful, or unsupportive simply for pointing out that someone said something that was entirely factually wrong. Allowing wholly incorrect information to propagate is not supportive.

auticus - There is an ignore function. Next to everyone's user name in a forum thread there's a little arrow that will open a drop-down box, and the bottom option is "Ignore User".
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I am all about common decency but some people just have it coming. If you ask something and in all honesty want a real answer, I'll give a polite one. If someone asks a stupid, common sense question about dieting or a dangerous way to do it, they will probably get an earful.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

Actually, they do - IGNORE USER
    There is a drop-down menu under our user name - and I have made use of this very feature for a number of toxic, sniveling people.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options

Actually they do have that option. Click the drop down arrow next to their name and hit Ignore User.
    Agreed about the thick skin. Interwebs like real life is all flowers and cute bunnies.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

IT DOES!

Every single person who complains that they don't like what people are saying has a wonderful option. They can set that person to ignore. Once they do that they need never see another post from that person.

Now if people know about this option, elect not to use it and still want to complain about what other people choose to say, well I have no sympathy for them.

That's the problem though, many people do not know about that option.

How do you ignore somebody? I asked this the other day, but forgot what thread I asked it on lol.
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Haha I just finished reading sabout the "negative calories" too. Wonder if that's what the OP had in mind? Anyway, I think its best if we just stick to what we know works for us and state what we beleive as an oppinion or reference a source. That way we keep it as neutral as possible.

However, we are a community of hungry people, so some snark may be inevitable :tongue:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Who's with me!?

I agree with you OP. Sometimes, often actually, I will type a reply and seriously think several times before I click "post" and many a time I have immediately regretted doing so.
This discussion has been closed.