MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Jess! You ROCK! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Congratulations :flowerforyou:

Mary - good job on your first 5K. :flowerforyou:

Ab ripper X / Yoga X for me today - maybe some pool time this afternoon if I can drag the kids from their video games.
  • natalie523
    natalie523 Posts: 12
    Options
    HI everyone, I have taken the last two days off from runnning because my hip has been bothering me. Today it feels pretty normal so I am going out for a ten miler.

Mary, do you happen to live in a palce called Blaine WA? Yesterday our community had a 5k run and it involved the gilrs on the run group. The proceeds form the run went to the group! I know there are other places that have the girls on the run group but I just thought I would ask. Good job on your 5k by the way!!!!! I couldn't do it because my son had his last t-ball game and award ceremony.

Have a great day everyone:happy:

Natalie
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    OMG, what a week it has been :grumble: First with the hyper extended feeling behind the knee and now a plantar wart ...........ewwwww :laugh:

So my run was a bit weak today, trying not to alert the running gods that I am going for it regardless of what obstacle seems to pop up this week :laugh:

doing two mini runs today, 3 this morning and 3 tonight. Hope everyone has a good run today! :love:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon:flowerforyou:

7 miles at an easy pace for me today. Followed by 2.5 hours of powerwashing my deck and patio.:noway:

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    OK, better late than never. But... I did GREAT at the tri today!!!!!! I still can't believe it. It was perfect weather, and things just went well for me!! I totally beat my goal time in everything!!!

600 yd swim, 13 mile bike, 5K run (with transitions) = total time 1:24:07. And guess what? I came in 3rd in my Age group!!!!!! I got a trophy!! :drinker: I was in shock when I heard them call my name!! It was very cool!

I still felt awesome even after I finished and have been on a high all day from it!

More update later, just figured you guys would want to know! (and added a pic of me w/ the trophy!)

Jess

Jess you are my hero! Congratulations!:drinker:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Well I did it! I finished my first 5k, unfortunately it wasn't as fast as I wanted, but I ran the whole course! My official time was 34.15! It was a lot of fun and now I'm starting to feel like part of the running community in my town. There was a group of "girls on the run" girls/mentors that were running (I knew a lot of them) and I think my 8 year old daughter wants to join the group next year. She actually said to me she would like to do it, but only with me if I run faster! Most of the girls finished before me!!!!
    Mary

Way to go Mary! Excellent time too!:drinker:

I am a Girls on the Run Coach and highly recommend the program.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Y'all! :sad: :sad:

I still can't workout! My coach says I have Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness to the enth degree. I can't even hardly bend my knees. :sad: :sad: :sad: :explode: :explode: :angry: I hate this! I've tried BioFreeze and frozen peas and knee braces...nothing is helping. I feel like I walk "Frankenstein-ish"! This is the first time since I've started my journey that I am totally disgusted with myself. How could I be so stupid?!:sad: :sad: :sad: :mad:

Hang in there. Get well soon.:flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the awesome support and sweet comments!! I woke up feeling great today!! I was going to rest, but took my dd to a birthday party at the gym (pool party) this afternoon so I ended up using the elliptical for 35 min, then swimming 1,000 yds. Felt great!!!

Hope you all had a great Sunday! :flowerforyou:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I ended up running 15/20 minutes on friday in the rain. Then I traveled to the beach for the weekend and squeezed in a run on both days. One just in the neighborhood where I got to run next to a vineyard and then the boardwalk today. It was great! I totally feel ready to go to the next stage.

I am thinking a 10K in early August and then a 1/2 marathon at the end of September.

Does this seem like a good schedule?
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Jess, fantastic job to place. That means you will be thinking of every second you can trim on the next one. GOOD JOB!

Leash, let me tell you a ½ is not a good idea within a week of a full marathon. Been there, done that, and wished I didn’t get that t-shirt.

Jenny, you go girl, keep building that base.

Becky is already schooling folks on her training runs, whohoo.

Msarro is finding an addiction here, great job and keep it up

Mary, great job on your first 5k!

For all those with some mechanical problems, be smart and try to solve the problem long term. For sure everyone wants to be hitting the road right away, but running can be stressful on the body and make sure it adapts properly. I highly recommend physical therapists too.
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    Jess, fantastic job to place. That means you will be thinking of every second you can trim on the next one. GOOD JOB!

Leash, let me tell you a ½ is not a good idea within a week of a full marathon. Been there, done that, and wished I didn’t get that t-shirt.

Jenny, you go girl, keep building that base.

Becky is already schooling folks on her training runs, whohoo.

Msarro is finding an addiction here, great job and keep it up

Mary, great job on your first 5k!

For all those with some mechanical problems, be smart and try to solve the problem long term. For sure everyone wants to be hitting the road right away, but running can be stressful on the body and make sure it adapts properly. I highly recommend physical therapists too.

I'm pretty concerned about my hips/legs. It has been a week and is not getting better. I have had several rest days this week. I have a 5K on Friday and I realllly hope I can run by then. :cry:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Good evening everyone!!

I ran 5k today that I measured with my car. I did it without stopping, which was great, but my time totally sucks!! It took me 45 minutes to run/jog that ...I think I do better time with my power walks.

What really concerns me is how in the h*ll am I going to shave 15 minutes off my run???

I know I'll get faster, but I'm a little discouraged right now.

Take care all!
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Natalie, I'm on the other side of the country in Connecticut!
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    I took Friday off, ran 4.5 miles Saturday plus walked all over creation at yard sales ( they had thing called the 90 mile yard sale this weekend) I took Sunday off too :blushing: but I did buy a bicycle at one of the yard sales for 30 bucks and it is in great condition! I am going to start training for a Tri and also want to do a half marathon around Septemberish...hope everyone has a good day:smooched:
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    Good evening everyone!!

I ran 5k today that I measured with my car. I did it without stopping, which was great, but my time totally sucks!! It took me 45 minutes to run/jog that ...I think I do better time with my power walks.

What really concerns me is how in the h*ll am I going to shave 15 minutes off my run???

I know I'll get faster, but I'm a little discouraged right now.

Take care all!

Don't be discouraged...look at it this way, you just ran 3.2 miles without stopping, most people can't even run 1 mile. 45 minutes is not that bad of a time for a beginner, just keep your head up and keep running! You will get faster and it will get easier, soon you will be running 6 miles at that pace. Keep up the good work!:smile:
  • Lesli
    Lesli Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Off to run 4.5 miles...happy running!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Jess awesome job on your tri. Congrats on placing in your age group. Pretty soon you will be placing first!

I get my bone scan on Wednesday so everyone keep your fingers crossed for me. It has been 2 1/2 weeks since my last run and today was the 1st day I can walk without a limp. Not too much pain either. I am gonna do a weight workout tonight followed by a yoga class.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

Rest day for me. Great job everyone. It is so wonderful to see everyone posting!

<storytime>
    I know it is hard to believe but I speak from experience when I say that running like life is a journey. Trust me and start where you are and work consistently. Not hard - consistently. You will get better. When I first started running, it took me 4 months to complete a 10 week program (couch to 5K). Fast forward 2 years and yesterday I easily ran 7 miles non-stop. I know it's hard not to get caught up in the numbers. I love numbers and stats too. I wouldn't bother to run without wearing my Garmin. However, I recommend recording the numbers proudly today so you can look back at them a year from now and see how much you've improved. And with consistency, you will improve.:drinker:

Fingers crossed for Sherry
    -Kechie.
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

Rest day for me. Great job everyone. It is so wonderful to see everyone posting!

<storytime>
    I know it is hard to believe but I speak from experience when I say that running like life is a journey. Trust me and start where you are and work consistently. Not hard - consistently. You will get better. When I first started running, it took me 4 months to complete a 10 week program (couch to 5K). Fast forward 2 years and yesterday I easily ran 7 miles non-stop. I know it's hard not to get caught up in the numbers. I love numbers and stats too. I wouldn't bother to run without wearing my Garmin. However, I recommend recording the numbers proudly today so you can look back at them a year from now and see how much you've improved. And with consistency, you will improve.:drinker:

Fingers crossed for Sherry
    -Kechie.

Thanks for the important reminder and needed encouragement, Kechie! :flowerforyou:
  • puppylove84
    Options
    so I took a week off and had the bright idea to run 14 miles after that week of rest... the beginning of the run was my best yet :happy: ... and then it became my worst! I'm super sore and my ankle hurts for some reason :grumble: I ended up walking the last 2.5 miles. I think I'm due for some new shoes, as these one have about 300 miles on them (give or take).

what annoys me the most is that I have the stamina.. at a good pace I could run and run and run (and be happy about it :flowerforyou: ). Problem is, my legs start to tighten up and become useless. I rack my brain trying to decide do I "run through it and become stronger" or do I "take it easy to prevent injury"? alls I want to do is run :sad: