SO who's had POSITIVE experiences with online dating sites?

Options

Replies

• itsshadowwithane
    itsshadowwithane Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My ONLY experience with dating websites is someone stealing my credit card number an signing up for match.com and zoosk
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I used to mock it but out of all my friends, the ones who met online in one way or another have been much more successful than those who meet in a nightclub/bar or other social events, I met my first proper (serious) girlfriend online and we were together 2 years, Id prefer to meet someone in person but I dont see a problem with it myself, people can fake who they are just as easy in reality than behind a screen apart from appearance.

very good advice.
    I never intended to meet my boyfriend online but I did and we've been together a year and half. I love him to pieces =]
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Me! Met my husband online back in 2010 at 37 years old. And the guys I met before him were nice but just not for me... one I maintained a friendship with. He met his now wife a bit later - online.

Just like IRL - sometimes it takes a while to find the right one, but online gives you a much larger pool of people you may not have the opportunity to meet otherwise.
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    I've done the online dating scene on and off since 09'. Granted, not eHarmony, or anything. But I've met a handful of decent people though, so it's not all bad. It's a great way to get to know someone's interest and whether they match up with your own.
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    My ONLY experience with dating websites is someone stealing my credit card number an signing up for match.com and zoosk

That sucks. :angry:
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on plentyoffish.com (free dating website) and we have been happily married for 4 years now.
  • smketchum
    smketchum Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Me!!!! I met my husband on eHarmony. We've been married for 6 years and are extremely compatible. He is honestly the most wonderful man I have ever met. I had my share of lousy dates on other sites, but he was the first one I met on eHarmony and we clicked from the first conversation. The whole experience was so much better than browsing through photographs to find someone who "looked" right for me. Our compatibility goes so much deeper than physical attraction.
  • PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I met my fiance on EHarmony :) Like someone stated on here, you'll get a lot of responses from guys that you aren't interested in. But, be patient and the right guy will come along:) My fiance had a lot of experience with online dating; he tried match.com and some other ones but found EHarmony to be the best because they ask more in depth questions apparently. Good luck!

eHarmony rejected me :frown:

REJECTED you? How? Why?
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    I went out with a few guys from POF. Some of them were ok, but nothing really tweaked my interest. Some wanted kids and I am NOT having kids. Others just wanted to get laid...of course the real hot one I did give into because of 3 glasses of wine.. Never heard from him again but I knew that was going to happen. rofl

Also went out for a few dates with another that was about 10 years older. That was ok..but when I started out finding out more information it kind of sent me in the other direction. He wanted to marry me when divorce was final. This would be his 4th marriage. He is going to be a grandpa. His daughter's mom comes to visit and stays at the house with them. Also the biggest turnoff was that he expected the women to do everything for him. He didn't with me, but is daughter and ex wife. I don't think so.

I actually met my SO hiking with a fitness group. Turns out he came specifically to meet me. We talked for 3 hours on the hike and than went out to dinner that night. We did break up for a weekend after Thanksgiving because his ex2be wanted to give it another go. Him being a dad and loyal...said ok. I backed away and let it be. She lasted a day in the house before they were screaming at each other again. We have been together again since beginning of December and worked may things out.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married to my Mr. Wonderful next month. We met on Match.com, been together for 3 years :)

My pointers:
    I went with a pay site, if you think about it, you have to pay to be on it, which means you have to have an income, which means you're not living with you mother (may not be a requirment for you but it was for me lol)

I would email with the guy for about a week, before I went on a date. If at any time in that week, they mentioned sex, deal was off. I wouldn't meet them. I wanted a meaningful relationship. I was on Match for about 5 months, my soon to be husband was my first date. I dated several people. Don't just settle! He WAS the one, but I made sure :) Good luck!
  • April1212r
    Options
    The ONLY successful relationships I had were men I met online through dating sites! Including my husband of five years. :smile:
  • PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear so many positive experiences! Makes me feel hopeful I won't spend the rest of my life alone! :laugh: I'm in no rush, but I've been considering EHarmony (or Match). So it's good to hear of positive outcomes!
  • tycusjay
    tycusjay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I met my Fiancee on POF in August 2008, we were engaged in June 2009, had a baby in December 2009 and will be married in August this year :heart:
  • Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I met my fiance on POF, and we have a three year old son and are getting married next year. That said... I met some really horrible men online that seemed perfect until a little into the relationship.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Just like real life, you will come across the good, the bad and the outright wrong!
    Be smart, be safe and have fun.
    I met my husband on match.com four years ago.
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Met my now hubby online (thanks love @aol.com ) in Dec 99 :)
    Hey good people are everywhere online these days....you just never know.
  • wave143j
    wave143j Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My sister met her boyfriend on Match.com about a year and a half ago. My whole family loves him. They're getting married in June of this year. Me ... I met my husband the old fashioned way ... in a bar.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Met a few exboyfriends online, we are all still friends, exhusband I met on a date site as well. (date.com)
    Met my current online as well, he would say we met on facebook but not reall;y it was a free online site. We have been together going on 3 years and never had an argument.
  • cbrister07
    cbrister07 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Eharmony 7 years ago. We've been happily married 4 years now. As someone else said it's a great way to meet someone outside of your normal "friends of friends." It can be a great experience but as with anything else always be careful where you meet someone and take precautions. Good luck to you!
  • melsat
    melsat Posts: 14
    Options
    I recently got engaged this past October and I met my fiance on eharmony. I signed up on March 10, 2009 and we were matched and began talking the very next day! I didn't even go on a date with anyone else....only him. He truly is my soulmate and I love him so much. I still can't believe he is in my life and we will be celebrating our 3 year anniversary this March and be walking down the aisle on August 25, 2012. If you are thinking about online dating, I would highly recommed eharmony. You really have to think about the things you are looking for in a partner and answer some pretty tough questions about yourself. I learned a lot about myself in the process and also found the love of my life! Good luck!