Any atheists/pagans/wiccans out there? :)

Options

Replies

• _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I am not Christian, and I LOVE Christmas. Great time to celebrate and be with the ones we love. :smile:

Also, for those of you who are confused:

Atheists believe that there is no higher power guiding the universe. Furthermore, they believe no higher power exists to intervene in the affairs of the world including man, whether individually or as a group.

Agnostics believe that here is insufficient evidence for the existence of a higher power, but, unlike atheists, there is also insufficient evidence for the NON-existence of a higher power. Essentially, agnostics are the skeptics of the pool.

It is critical to remember that atheists and agnostics are not inherently without moral fiber because of a lack of faith. Goodness of heart comes from having empathy and the will to act on that empathy which can come from someone of faith or someone of no faith.
    I just said that. Agnostics are fence sitters. Lol
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I am a Practicing Wiccan. have been for about 5-6 years now :) i am Solitary, Which means i do not belong to a coven. But i am open to meeting anyone of my faith to learn more and always prosper. )O(

Very cool! I don't have the patience for it :laugh:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Folks seem a little confused about definitions of things.

Atheists aren't violently ANTI-god, we are just NON-theistic in our beliefs. For atheists, it doesn't matter whether there is a god or not, and we don't believe in praying, or worshipping, or conversations with imaginary friends, etc. etc. We just tend to believe that it's good to be good to our fellow man, not out of fear of bad things in the after-life or promises of awesome things in the after-life, but just because it's good to be good to other people.

Agnostics aren't sure yet WHICH religion, if any, to follow, but tend to believe in a higher power people often refer to as god.

Atheism involves a distinct claim that there is no god or an absence in the belief in god (depending on how "militant" one is). Agnosticism argues/states only that the existence of god cannot be tested. It is possible to be agnostic AND atheist, that is, to admit that the existence of god is untestable, and NOT believe in god. It is also possible to be agnostic and a theist, that is, to believe in a god/gods/whatever, while admitting that the existence of said entities is not testable.

Also, I think you're confusing atheism and secular humanism, which often coexist, but do not need to. There are plenty of atheists who don't particularly care about the well being of other people.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I am not Christian, and I LOVE Christmas. Great time to celebrate and be with the ones we love. :smile:

Also, for those of you who are confused:

Atheists believe that there is no higher power guiding the universe. Furthermore, they believe no higher power exists to intervene in the affairs of the world including man, whether individually or as a group.

Agnostics believe that here is insufficient evidence for the existence of a higher power, but, unlike atheists, there is also insufficient evidence for the NON-existence of a higher power. Essentially, agnostics are the skeptics of the pool.

It is critical to remember that atheists and agnostics are not inherently without moral fiber because of a lack of faith. Goodness of heart comes from having empathy and the will to act on that empathy which can come from someone of faith or someone of no faith.
    I just said that. Agnostics are fence sitters. Lol

Whoops! Sorry I didn't see that.
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    uh oh....

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289608000238

Abstract
    Evidence is reviewed pointing to a negative relationship between intelligence and religious belief in the United States and Europe. It is shown that intelligence measured as psychometric g is negatively related to religious belief. We also examine whether this negative relationship between intelligence and religious belief is present between nations. We find that in a sample of 137 countries the correlation between national IQ and disbelief in God is 0.60.
  • Ociases
    Ociases Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a very Catholic house and went Pagan for a while. Now I'm mostly an agnostic with Buddhist tendencies if that makes sense. But I do love studying various religions.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    easter. gone too!
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am not religious. I have my beliefs and consider myself a spiritual being. But I think religion is the root of all evil.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Just wondering. Since this is allowed now, I thought I'd ask how many people out there are like me. I don't believe in any one "God" and certainly don't subscribe to any code written in a book. Not to say any members of any particular group are silly, just my personal beliefs.
    Wait....are we allowed to talk religion now?
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    Just wondering. Since this is allowed now, I thought I'd ask how many people out there are like me. I don't believe in any one "God" and certainly don't subscribe to any code written in a book. Not to say any members of any particular group are silly, just my personal beliefs.

Apparently we are!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is the person who just started a thread about how there are soo many negative posts and arguments. Don't do this! It's all good for us to have their own opinions.. when someone flys off the handle.. let them.. don't feed them more data.
    Apparently I am a God-basher because I went into the Christian thread (thinking it was about songs) and replied with (direct quote):" I don't think this really belongs here, personally. I would recommend a lot of really nice Christian/Catholic/what-have-you groups though, where you are free to discuss it. I won't be the one to report it, but trust me, it will most likely get taken down."

This is why I'm not a huge fan of (MOST!) of the Christians I've met. Because I was honestly trying to help to save her from any issues, it BECAME an issue. What the hell. It's okay, I have my own "god bashing" thread to be on ;)

Any pagans/wiccans? I did some research on Wicca and really loved it. I wouldn't called myself a practicing witch, because it's much too involved, but it was extremely interesting, and I still have a pentagram (somewhere >.>)

Actually why don't you tell them the part where I apologized to you and thanked you for the information you gave and where I asked everyone to stop posting negative stuff on there, anyways it's been made clear tonight that you like to cause waves. Either way I wish you the best and to make things clear to everyone i have no problem with any other religion just don't bash mine.. I havent bashed your religion in any way I know that I stated, I fight for everyones right to worship what they choose.....end of story good night all ;)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Where or how is this allowed? Did you get an update of the rules or something?

Apparently we are!
  • GoCanada
    GoCanada Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Folks seem a little confused about definitions of things.

Atheists aren't violently ANTI-god, we are just NON-theistic in our beliefs. For atheists, it doesn't matter whether there is a god or not, and we don't believe in praying, or worshipping, or conversations with imaginary friends, etc. etc. We just tend to believe that it's good to be good to our fellow man, not out of fear of bad things in the after-life or promises of awesome things in the after-life, but just because it's good to be good to other people.

Agnostics aren't sure yet WHICH religion, if any, to follow, but tend to believe in a higher power people often refer to as god.

Atheist here as well! And thanks for explaining to the people who are unfamiliar!! It seems every time I say I'm an atheist someone will ask me how I can believe in the devil and not god. Huh??... I didn't say I was a Satan worshiper!!! Apparently a lot of people think atheists believe in the devil!! LOL
    Atheists do eat children. Just sayin.

Obviously we do. Also...anyone who actually looks into The Church of Satan (although there are other Satanist groups) will really just find it's about acceptance of self (good and bad) and a way to live. NOT really about worshipping Satan. Just saying, it's quite an interesting topic.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I am not religious. I have my beliefs and consider myself a spiritual being. But I think religion is the root of all evil.

"It's not God I don't like, it's his fan club I have a problem with." Probably my favorite vers---er, quote :D That's not to say I dislike all people of a certain religion, just can't stand when people force their beliefs on me or think I'm the anti-christ because I don't believe in one specific thing
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    Where or how is this allowed? Did you get an update of the rules or something?

Apparently we are!

I shall explain without breaking the rules, but there was a thread about religion (that I thought was about a song lol) that I *thought* was against the rules. I kindly explained where to go to be with other people of the same belief, and a moderator informed me that it is no longer against the rules. So I started this thread
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Life long athiest
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I guess agnostic, or even a touch ath-nostic. I believe everyone has a right to believe and practice what they believe as long as it doesn't hurt others. Like others have said, I don't like people trying to convert me and I don't like hypocrites either. I too am sick of being damned to hell for beleiving or not beleiving this or that. Church and/or religion does have it's place in society as it does lend itself to contstructive achievments, but unfortunatley organized religion is too often missused to control and subjugate people by power hungry hypocrites. I abhor organized religion that is used to cow the masses through guilt and fear. Instead of being enlightening, religion has historically been used and perverted by spineless, sick men who want to force their brand of twisted and repugnant morality on everyone else.:explode: :explode:

Too each his own, if everyone could just live and leave everyone else alone in these matters and stop forcing their views on others the world would be a better place.:smile:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I'm a Bill&Tedder, I believe we all need to be EXCELLENT to each other.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    st valentines day
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I believe in Santa Claus... Maybe that makes me agnostic and not atheist!! I also think the pastafarians have a lovely official chart about pirates and global warming which makes a pretty good argument for that! =)
This discussion has been closed.