Any atheists/pagans/wiccans out there? :)

Options

Replies

• stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Wow is all I can say to a lot of these comments! Christian here! Jesus Christ is my Lord and savior and I am proud of it! Isn't this a weight loss sight? I'm sure there are a ton of forums and blogs out there where you can "mingle" with people about your same religious or non religious beliefs. And I find it totally offensives that you "don't like Christians" because a few rubbed you the wrong way. Ive had a lot of people rub me the wrong way but I don't put them in a catagory. Prayers for all, and I mean that nicely :)

I don't see a lot of people on here saying that they dislike Christians. Most of us are friends with Christians and respect them. We don't like people who treat us like we are below them for believing differently, just like you would not like to be treated that way. Try not to take it the wrong way.
    Not to assume, but you probably like to talk about your beliefs with like minded people (say at church), and that is all we are doing here. Christianity seems like it is the majority, so it is a little difficult for some of us to find like-minded people in our daily lives. I know I don't know any atheists, so it is very nice to be able to see others who are similar to me, on a site like this, trying to achieve the same goals that I am.

It was the original poster that said she doesn't like christians
  • stef827
    Options
    Wow is all I can say to a lot of these comments! Christian here! Jesus Christ is my Lord and savior and I am proud of it! Isn't this a weight loss sight? I'm sure there are a ton of forums and blogs out there where you can "mingle" with people about your same religious or non religious beliefs. And I find it totally offensives that you "don't like Christians" because a few rubbed you the wrong way. Ive had a lot of people rub me the wrong way but I don't put them in a catagory. Prayers for all, and I mean that nicely :)

I don't see a lot of people on here saying that they dislike Christians. Most of us are friends with Christians and respect them. We don't like people who treat us like we are below them for believing differently, just like you would not like to be treated that way. Try not to take it the wrong way.
    Not to assume, but you probably like to talk about your beliefs with like minded people (say at church), and that is all we are doing here. Christianity seems like it is the majority, so it is a little difficult for some of us to find like-minded people in our daily lives. I know I don't know any atheists, so it is very nice to be able to see others who are similar to me, on a site like this, trying to achieve the same goals that I am.

And I can see where you are coming from
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options

I must have missed those comments. I personally love many Christians and count them among my dear friends. It seems that some in this thread have rubbed you the wrong way, causing you to put all the rest of us in that category, even if we never, ever, ever said we "don't like Christians."
  • stef827
    Options

I don't think I've see a single person in this thread say they don't like Christians, or that they don't like members of any other religious group for that matter. Many of us have actually noted that belief is a matter of personal choice, and that all people are entitled to make that choice. What some of us have said we do not like is feeling like other people's beliefs are being forced on us in some way (particularly via legislation), but I think most people dislike that feeling. Also, some of us don't like certain fringe "Christian" groups that do things we find deeply troubling, like Westboro Baptist Church protesting people's funerals with signs saying terrible things, but again, I think many people, of all faiths (or lack thereof) are troubled by people saying hurtful things at a funeral. As others have pointed out, many of us have people in our lives that we care for and respect, who happen to be people of faith. Others of us may deeply respect public figures, who happen to be people of faith. At no point have I seen Christian bashing, or anything that I think would be offensive to most people if they actually bothered to read the thread.

I 100% agree that the westboro group is disgusting and that is not what I represent at all. I apologize if I misread one of the original posters posts about disliking christians
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options

It was the original poster that said she doesn't like christians

Naw , it wasn't Brittany and she's gone to bed , so I have to stick up for her .
    On the other hand , others have said that there is a lot of narrow-mindedness and hate among Christians and unfortunately it's true , but depending on how you define those terms I hope that you don't find all Christians to be like that ( that was for the posters of the narrow-minded and hate comments , not you stef827 )
  • stef827
    Options
    I hope you aren'tmad I am chiming in but I am a strong believer in the God of the bible. I (and most of the mature believers I know) really love all people and are not just talking the talk. I believe many people have never heard a person explain the gospel to them in a reasonable way, without judging them. I share my faith with atheists and all other world views and many after hearing God's word explained, want to receive He sus into their heart and life. Again I hope my two cents adds and doesn't take away from the thoughts that have been shared. :smile:

I really hope you wait until they ASK to hear about your faith. If not, that's pretty rude.

In my opinion everyone has a freedom of speech so if someone wants to approach me in a cival way I would not be offended. I am very certain of what I believe in and there would be no swaying of my beliefs. I would not take offense as I understand wanting somebody to know what MY truth is just as they want someone to know there's. If they were rude and jumping all over me then yeah we would have a problem. But not if it was like I said in a cival matter.

I don't believe sharing your beliefs is rude at all weather its asked for or not. They can object if they would like and sharing it comes from a loving caring place :)

If an atheist came up to you and, out of genuine care for your wellbeing, tried to convince you that your life is being wasted because you spend too much time believing in a god that doesn't exist, would you feel the same way?

Just for clarification, this atheist tried to change your faith without you asking him/her for his/her opinion on the matter.
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Wiccan, and have been since age 10. 27 now. I don't like to throw my beliefs around at other people...I know what makes me happy and will not force that on anyone else.

I have one of the coexist stickers on the back of my car. Pisses my friend off something fierce.

I will admit that I tried out Wicca when I was younger. I have a lot of respect for Wiccans. The prejudice against them is utterly misplaced and can be outright mean, because people will automatically assume that you are a Satan-loving witch who is going to curse them. Or they criticize you for believe in magic (really? now we are splitting hairs here). Wiccans usually handle it very well though. They are a strong group with a strong faith (and the saying Karma is a ***** is always a good one!).
    While it wasn't for me and I moved on to being an atheist, I have to say that Wicca was probably my favorite exploration, because I felt more free in that religion than in any other. :flowerforyou:
  • stef827
    Options
    Apparently I am a God-basher because I went into the Christian thread (thinking it was about songs) and replied with (direct quote):" I don't think this really belongs here, personally. I would recommend a lot of really nice Christian/Catholic/what-have-you groups though, where you are free to discuss it. I won't be the one to report it, but trust me, it will most likely get taken down."

This is why I'm not a huge fan of (MOST!) of the Christians I've met. Because I was honestly trying to help to save her from any issues, it BECAME an issue. What the hell. It's okay, I have my own "god bashing" thread to be on ;)

Any pagans/wiccans? I did some research on Wicca and really loved it. I wouldn't called myself a practicing witch, because it's much too involved, but it was extremely interesting, and I still have a pentagram (somewhere >.>)

Ok so I will apologize that she did not say she hates Christians and is catagorizing us which in my opinion is wrong. I'm sure there are plenty of Christians out there that she has not met and would like so to catogarize as "most" isn't right. In my opinion :)
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Friends , and I hope that we are or can be , it is 1 AM where I am and I hate to leave this but if I don't get in bed now I don't see myself getting to Church in the morning . It's a place full of sinners , some saved but only by God's grace through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ His only begotten son . If anyone is interested , find a building with a sign out front that says" everyone welcome " and go in and see if they mean it . If they really know the shepherd you will be welcomed to feed with the flock . Goodnight
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of respect for Wiccans.

pagans.jpg
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Jedi
  • stef827
    Options
    Friends , and I hope that we are or can be , it is 1 AM where I am and I hate to leave this but if I don't get in bed now I don't see myself getting to Church in the morning . It's a place full of sinners , some saved but only by God's grace through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ His only begotten son . If anyone is interested , find a building with a sign out front that says" everyone welcome " and go in and see if they mean it . If they really know the shepherd you will be welcomed to feed with the flock . Goodnight

:):):)
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Roman Catholic here! I believe that everyone should have their own beliefs without persecution!! Just wanted to say that not all Christian's are bible preaching crazies!
  • lostsanity137
    Options
    Apparently I am a God-basher because I went into the Christian thread (thinking it was about songs) and replied with (direct quote):" I don't think this really belongs here, personally. I would recommend a lot of really nice Christian/Catholic/what-have-you groups though, where you are free to discuss it. I won't be the one to report it, but trust me, it will most likely get taken down."

This is why I'm not a huge fan of (MOST!) of the Christians I've met. Because I was honestly trying to help to save her from any issues, it BECAME an issue. What the hell. It's okay, I have my own "god bashing" thread to be on ;)

Any pagans/wiccans? I did some research on Wicca and really loved it. I wouldn't called myself a practicing witch, because it's much too involved, but it was extremely interesting, and I still have a pentagram (somewhere >.>)

Ok so I will apologize that she did not say she hates Christians and is catagorizing us which in my opinion is wrong. I'm sure there are plenty of Christians out there that she has not met and would like so to catogarize as "most" isn't right. In my opinion :)

Religion is a very personal thing, so it is very easy to get offended. I definitely understand that. Understanding that the OP didn't mean to any harm is what is important. She has had mostly bad experiences with Christians so she does not like those SPECIFIC people. I am sure the OP does not dislike the whole group based on that. I know I have had bad experiences with people who were Christian, Muslim, Wiccan, and even Atheist. I have no dislike for any of the religions though. I personally think the OP seems pretty accepting (trying to help and all) just maybe the post read wrong to you.
    Sometimes you have to read past the words and try to read the intentions. :)
  • LucyVan
    LucyVan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Agnostic here, though I lean far more to the "atheist" point of view than the "theist."

I have no problem with any other faith though. It's just not for me.

I disagree with a lot of principles of other faiths, but don't have a problem with any of their members, or whatever they are called O.o I just can't stand the people who think that because I'm not Christian (which will probably die out in next hundred years anyway) that I'm some Heathen.

Oh good heavens! What a pompous statement. After 2112 years you honestly believe that Christianity is going to die out in a hundred years! Get real. Fine if you want to believe whatever floats your boat spiritually but do not pretend to know about the destiny of Christianity!
  • lostsanity137
    Options
    I have a lot of respect for Wiccans.

pagans.jpg

Lmao! Love it!
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    I believe that your beliefs are personal. What works for you, may not work for others and that you should be free to believe however you like. There is light and dark in everyone, and no one is 100 % "good", IMO.

Anyhow, I was raised Catholic, baptized non-denominational Christian, but am now a Solitary Eclectic Pagan/Kitchen Witch. I take what works for me and discard/file away the rest. I believe in Karma and the greater good toward man, mankind, the earth, universe, and/or etc, as most religious/non-religious individuals, whether it be by praying, sending out energies, casting spells, chanting, or what have you.

I know that everyone has the right to free speech, but as I recall, the topic reads, "Any atheists/pagans/wiccans out there? :)". Those individuals within this group or similar, basically "non-traditional religions" were enjoying the topic at hand. I know that everyone is welcome to comment, I'm just wondering what drew some "others" to make what they think are "tasteful" comments about their religion and question/bash the beliefs of others on this thread. Did certain words stand out for you in the topic and you felt the need? Just curious.

In addition, just because an individual in not a Christian, that does not define them as being "lost" as someone stated. One cannot be lost if they know where they are.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Gosh nice save at the end. This is chit chat (see random).

Thanks for telling me I have been doing it wrong this whole time.

I mean that nicely.

When did I say you were doing anything wrong? Praying for someone is not a bad thing, I pray for my son my husband my friends, family and yes even strangers. Its out of love, something wrong with that?
    I am answering on my phone so my answers sometimes are not as complete as I like. I was referring to the fact that after a very long conversation, you interject by stating this is an inappropriate topic, especially for a weight loss forum. If you look under our names, you'd notice many high post counts. We might have an idea of what goes where. Also a mod stated this topic was approved. So essentially your observation was unnecessary.
    One other point. You said if an atheist started to explain his/her beliefs and you said you would not likely be swayed and they backed off, would you show an atheist the same courtesy? From first hand experience, I can say I am comfortable in my beliefs, yet the theist would continue to press upon be their views and question mine.
    I understand the motive. Jesus says I am the way. Believe in me and I will show you the gates to heaven. You think you are helping me see God's love. The continued questioning appears to me as a lack of respect for my beliefs.
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Im agnostic. I was raised Catholic.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am a Pagan/Wiccan. I study religion and prefer those that dont try to shove theirs down your throat. I was raised with divorced parents. My mother was pagan and my father was Christian. He tried to beat the faith into me so now I have issues with Christian based religions.
This discussion has been closed.