40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    Sooooooooooooooo, yesterday was a cardio day. Just little barbie doll weights at the end (although I grabbed 15 lb-ers, just to show off, lol!). When I was putting my weights away, I bumped my left thumb. Fine. It hurt. I looked at it, no blood, and I started walking back to my bench.

All of a sudden I get this "thick" feeling in that thumb and when I went to look at it, again, it had a GOOSE EGG on it and was swelling SO FAST, that I could physically see it. Anyway, I ran to a water fountain and ran it under cold water while trying to figure out how to get someone's attention to grab me some ice!! I must have gone into shock because I just kept thinking, "there's no more room for my skin to expand, what happens then??"

Wow! The cold water helped. Finally an ice pack showed up. I went back to class, but had missed the "stretch", so I'm going to the gym, today, specifically to stretch.

Oh, and thumb is fine. I can wiggle it, but it's purple and blue, today and feels "tight" when I bend it which might mean some adjustments to "grip" when I weight-train tomorrow.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    "Long" Slow Run Day: 4 miles in 40:55. Splits: 10:25 @1 mile, 10:46 @2 miles, 10:15 @3 miles, 9:29 @4 miles. Also did a 0.4 mile brisk warm up walk and a 0.4 mile brisk cool down walk. Plan was to do a 10:30-11mm for the 1st and 2nd mile then gradually increase pace from there. Felt good at the end, like I could have done another mile or two.

When I got home, I did the 60 minute X Stretch DVD from P90X. Felt gooood.
  • RenCara
    RenCara Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Cara, I liked the book. How did you like your book? Our next read is "State of Wonder", by Ann Patchett.

Glad you liked it. I will keep the title for a future read. I am not enjoying my book and am ready to put it down. I have enjoyed other books by Patchett so I'll be interested in hearing if you like this one. Our next book is The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food, and F
    Love by Kristin Kimball. It's her story of falling in love with an organic farmer. This is not usually the type of books I read so I hope I like it.
  • hewhoiscd
    Options
    I've been working on my pushups, but just my own mush-mashed way of doing it. Starting tomorrow, I'll be following the training program laid out at http://hundredpushups.com/ Going to back up a bit and make sure I get through it all in perfect form. Will be doing it on Mon, Wed & Fri

I'm also, starting today, going to do the Pull Up training program laid out at http://twentypullups.com/ Will be doing these on Sun, Tue & Thu

And of course, continuing with my 10K Novice Higdon training program. When the novice program is complete, I will move on to the Intermediate program.

Hello to all the new peeps!

*Beeps: ouch! I hate it when I smash my thumb with my barbie weights....err, I mean...well, anyway...Hope it heals up for ya quick!

*tikanique: grats on the 15lbs! Hopefully it is mostly fat. Try to make Breakfast your biggest meal of the day, it makes it a lot easier to make sure you don't fall behind on cals later. Eat every 90 minutes or so, just a small healthy snack. Also, make sure you are getting enough protein.

*sreeves: Glad you are on the mend!

*sdereski: Glad you are feeling better!

*inuit: It is hard to get consistent measurement around the stomach. Have to look at the numbers over several weeks to get a trend. Sounds like you know what to do to get back on track. You can do it!

*dan323: grats on your success so far and on getting back on track!

*cdl8: Grats on your loss so far! I've been drinking Shakeology for the past 15 months. It's just easier and more convenient for me to use Shakeology than trying to get all the different ingredients myself all the time and constantly making up new batches. Makes a great breakfast combo with my Oatmeal. On the P90X, it is a great program, but don't despair if you initially see no weight loss (or even a small gain) in the first 30 days or so. Lots of people report this, but by Day 90 they are very happy with the results. I did P90X for 5 months and am very glad I did.

out of time. Talk to you all later :)
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    This forum is bursting...Hope to catch up this week
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    i was hoping to return to this thread to find that it had rolled over....
  • eyern
    eyern Posts: 9
    Options
    I am a 53 year old who has found the pounds are creeping on and settling in places I don't like. My goal is to run a 5K and to start weight lifting to gain some muscle mass. I want to join so for some mutal support and advice.
  • shapestocome
    shapestocome Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just found this thread and am over 40! I have lost over 40 pounds since 2003 and have maintained it for 4 years. I want to lose my last 10 pounds in 2012 and also add strength training. I wanted to do the NROLFW but I do not belong to a gym so I bought a book 101 ways to lift weights -- or something like that! That is my goal. I am excited to read through some of the previous posts here.
  • shapestocome
    Options
    I am a 53 year old who has found the pounds are creeping on and settling in places I don't like. My goal is to run a 5K and to start weight lifting to gain some muscle mass. I want to join so for some mutal support and advice.

Hi eyern -- I don't know how much you run now but when I wanted to run my 1st 5K I started with the Couch 2 5K program. You can find the program here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml Even if you run some you can start on a later week but it is really good to help you work up to the 5K -- Good luck, you can definitely do it!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all - we sure do keep rolling along, and growing!! Welcome to all the newcomers.

Chris, you always have such great advice for all of us! Thank you.

beeps - glad your thumb is feeling better. That certainly is an "ouch!"

I did manage to get my long run in today. I am using an intermediate marathon training program for the first time and I am finding the weekly long run mileage increase too much. I've successfully run 13 full marathons, so I thought I could handle this, but ummm...no. :tongue: Going from 10miles to 15miles in one week is too big of a jump for me. I should have increased my mileage by 2miles only, and sure enough at mile 12 I pretty much crashed. Ended up walking for a bit and then slowly jogged the rest of the way home. I got 14 in and hopefully my 15 next week will go well.

Have a great night all. :flowerforyou:
  • hewhoiscd
    Options
    Tagging the new thread :)
  • shapestocome
    Options
    tshahady -- When you post to the thread, it will be listed on your profile page on the bottom left under the heading "My Recent Forum Posts"

sderesky -- Wow 13 marathons!! That is impressive - congrats!
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging in on the new thread. Wow. Great job everyone! I'm up a hair (0.2lbs) which is typical during this week and is fluid retention. Not worried. I had a great 9km race walk in the icy slush again this afternoon - amazing how that slush increases the workout. Whew. If all goes according to plan, I will be meeting with a friend tomorrow for my first lifting session!

Edit: Congrats on the 10lb milestone Jipples! Wow, sderesky, 13 marathons - awesome!
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    P90X2 X2 Core this morning. About 400 or so calories shy of 22,000 for this month so tomorrow I should get 22,000 + for the month.

Don't think I will break that in February :-)
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello hello hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: Welcome to all the new members!!!! :drinker:

sdereski, you are our running Diva!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy:

Tikanike, how much are you eating? Are you lifting weights? you definitely dont want to lose muscle. :flowerforyou:

Question about shakeology, is it only a protein drink or a recovery drink? I am reading this book called The metabolism advantage and the author Dr Berardi recommends a recovery drink during and immediately after a workout. He recommends a brand called Biotest. Any other suggestions? What is your experience with recovery drinks, creatine and other supplements?

I had a great weekend as far as eating was concerned and did my planned workouts. Teaching Zumba tonight...

Have a great day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    sder - all those marathons!! Very impressive!

alf - I can't be bothered to do the "shake" thing after my work-out....but, I do gobble down a protein bar (which has some starch in it....it isn't pure protein). I will read, with interest, what others suggest.

My thumb is good enough that I'm pretty sure I can grip-and-lift. My work-out isn't until noon-hour. We'll see!
  • hewhoiscd
    Options
    Did my first day of the http://hundredpushups.com training at lunch. 5 sets, with a 1 minute rest between each set, for a total of 59 push ups. I am concentrating on keeping my hands and elbows in as much as I can and keeping good form. Was feeling the pump at the end, lol. If I have time, will try and do some Yoga after work today. No run scheduled today, 3 miler scheduled for tomorrow.

*welcome to all the new peeps!

*alf: Shakeology is a meal replacement and nutritional supplement drink. It has protein in it of course, but it is not a "protein" or "recovery" drink. Message me if you want more info, I'm a Beachbody Coach, but I try to keep all that off of the public forums.

One of the current theories is that you should have a 3:1 to 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein in a recovery drink. It gets more complicated than that, but that is the core of it. 2% Chocolate milk is often suggested as a cheap and basic recovery drink. Or Carnation's Instant Breakfast Chocolate mixed with 2% milk. I use a beachbody product for the recovery drink myself.

*Umpire57: There's an extra day in February this year, leap year! So why not? :D

*parys: Great dedication to do your race walking through the slush! I won't tell you my temps here in the Tampa area when I did the run yesterday :D

*sdereski: Like I said before, you are a BA :D
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    totally jealous, hewh, on your push-ups. I'm working on perfect form (arms in close to the chest, not wide out to the side), too. But, for me to get to 59, I'm thinking that would be quite the feat! I'll check back in a few months, lol!
  • aabby13
    Options
    *hewhoiscd: I am starting week 3 of the hundred pushups. I'm watching my form as well.

*sdereski: You just might be my new idol! I'm training for my first 1/2.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Tagging :smile: