MFP Runner's Club

1192021222325»

Replies

• beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Finished up day 1 of week 8 for Couch 2 5k, ended up running an extra few minutes because I decided to pick up my pace at the last minute, which led to me doing some sprinting. I'm amazed at how much longer I can now sprint than I used to be able to - 100 meters and I'd be breathing heavy for a few minutes. It's a nice change... I'm proud of me.

Also, if I can handle week 8 like this, I totally have a 5k in the bag. I just need to finish up c25k and start doing speed work, and muscle building work.

I'm proud of you too! Way to go!!! :bigsmile:
  • beckyi88
    Had my bone scan today and it looks like the stress fracture will be confirmed. (I wont get the official written report until tomorrow). It looks like I will be out for a little while.

These stupid little injuries are killing me!

Sherry, so sorry to hear the bad news. :frown:
    btw~ I don't consider any fracture a little injury...just shows what a superwoman you are...don't want to let a *little* thing like a technically broken leg slow you down! :wink:

Becky
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Tried to do some speed work today on my 5k...pushed really hard and made it for a little over 2 miles at my hard pace, but was pretty much dying by the time I hit 2.5, so I scaled back to a fast walk so as not to give myself an asthma attack. :noway: Not sure if it's because I went too fast too soon, the humidity or a little of both. I'm still pretty proud of what I did. Definitely more than I thought I could. :bigsmile:

Congrats on pushing yourself -- they say speedwork really helps -- I'm trying it too!

I had what I was told was an exercise induced asthma attack during my first 5k. I'm used to starting off slow BUT this time I started like someone running for their lives :embarassed: About 2.5 miles in I almost passed out :noway: So be sure to warm up and let your lungs get to that happy place before you start putting the pressure on!
  • beckyi88
    I completed my 5K Race today. It was great weather-it rained late in the afternoon so the temp was great and a little humidity. There was a mixed crowd of about 300 racers all really nice.

Good job! :drinker: I'm glad the weather cooperated with you!

Becky
  • beckyi88
    No real run today, just an easy mile as part of *boot camp* at the Y.
    It felt like a real boot camp to me. It was intense!
    Becky
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Hi Running buddies, i have been a little down :frown:

Looking back i realize how incredibly stupid it was for me to drastically increase my mileage like I did on Saturday. I went from running 6 miles at a time to my first 10 miler and while it felt good at the time, now my knee is in constant pain. It's not an unbearable pain, just a dull, pulling, throbbing sort of pain. I didn't run Sunday, did an easy 3 Monday, cross trained on Tuesday and did 3 miles yesterday. I've just started icing it down 3 times a day. I am just hoping that it gets better. I'm supposed to be training for the marathon. Any words of wisdom? And being new at this I don't know what is just a common ache and pain or an injury. I could probably run on it today if i wanted to, but I'm babying it since it has that dull achy pain in it.

My biggest fear is ruining my knee to where I can't run at all or I can't do the marathon. If given the choice, obviously I won't do the marathon but I am hoping it will get better.
    Great job on everyone's running and hugs to you all!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    willywonka--hope you feel better soon! I am only at 3.2 miles so I dont know that much about increasing etc. Hope someone has answers for you!

I finally completed the 3.2 loop at my local nature center! Even though I can easily run 3.2 this one had hills and was "new" to me so I had to mentally get used to it! It is beautiful and I have chimpmunks, squirrels on my path which are cute to look at! :)
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Good afternoon everyone!

Been a busy day for me at work....finally got some "down" time to do a quick post.

Sherry and Willy, I'm sorry about your injuries. Take care of yourself first...the running can come later after you are healed.

Gustergirl, Yay on your first 5k!!! Good job!

msarro, you should be proud of yourself. You've come a long way!

I ran two miles this morning and managed to shave a few seconds off my time. I think I'm going to follow's Ketchie's advice and try the smart coach training schedule on runnersworld. Hopefully it will teach me how to speed up and get a little more endurance.

Lol, I kind of miss the free spirit runner in me.....now I'm all about times and speed and numbers when I used to just run until I felt that I couldn't go anymore. I sometimes miss that :) I'm looking forward to my long run days...maybe I'll be a little more free spirited with that.

Anyways, hope you all have a great Thursday!!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    I had what I was told was an exercise induced asthma attack during my first 5k. I'm used to starting off slow BUT this time I started like someone running for their lives :embarassed: About 2.5 miles in I almost passed out :noway: So be sure to warm up and let your lungs get to that happy place before you start putting the pressure on!

Thanks for posting this excellent advice. Sometimes there are signs that you are at risk for these. I used to get a dry for no apparent reason cough while sitting at my computer long after I had worked out. I didn't think twice about it until my family doc asked me some questions during an office visit.

He gave me a rescue inhaler to take with me on every run. I have not had to use it in the two years that I've been running. I won't stop taking it with me though b/c he told me a very sad story about how when he was a doctor in the military they lost a very fit healthy 39 yo male during a military 5K fun run. Next time you're at your doctor's office ask them to give you one. They are very small and he just gives it to me for free when I'm in for a visit.
  • kechiemc
    Hi Running buddies, i have been a little down :frown:

Looking back i realize how incredibly stupid it was for me to drastically increase my mileage like I did on Saturday. I went from running 6 miles at a time to my first 10 miler and while it felt good at the time, now my knee is in constant pain. It's not an unbearable pain, just a dull, pulling, throbbing sort of pain. I didn't run Sunday, did an easy 3 Monday, cross trained on Tuesday and did 3 miles yesterday. I've just started icing it down 3 times a day. I am just hoping that it gets better. I'm supposed to be training for the marathon. Any words of wisdom? And being new at this I don't know what is just a common ache and pain or an injury. I could probably run on it today if i wanted to, but I'm babying it since it has that dull achy pain in it.

My biggest fear is ruining my knee to where I can't run at all or I can't do the marathon. If given the choice, obviously I won't do the marathon but I am hoping it will get better.
    Great job on everyone's running and hugs to you all!

<hugs ww> Take care of your knee. I hope you get better soon.:flowerforyou:
    I would definitely walk, bike, or something low impact until that knee feels 100% better. It would be terrible if you hurt yourself more and couldn't do the marathon at all. If you are feeling anxious, have a running friendly doc:wink: check you out before you continue training. Keep us posted.
  • kechiemc
    Lol, I kind of miss the free spirit runner in me.....now I'm all about times and speed and numbers when I used to just run until I felt that I couldn't go anymore. I sometimes miss that :) I'm looking forward to my long run days...maybe I'll be a little more free spirited with that.

I doubt it. One thing I've observed about us runners, most of us LOVE numbers or running stats.:laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Sherry, so sorry to hear the bad news. :frown:
    btw~ I don't consider any fracture a little injury...just shows what a superwoman you are...don't want to let a *little* thing like a technically broken leg slow you down! :wink:

Becky

I agree. A stress fracture is nothing *little*. I think I mentioned before that my running buddy had a stress fracture after our last half. She took the whole month of May off from running and is now slowly building back mileage to run a September marathon. Her Dr. told her that 10 miles a week of running was fine even w/ the injury, so I think it depends on the Dr. Her fracture was in the tibia.

Good luck and definitely focus on swimming, biking, elliptical, weight training, anything that you can do!!! I've found that while rehabbing an injury I always find something else to enjoy. :bigsmile:

Jess
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    good morning all!!!

No running for me today-- Did legs & back at the gym today.
  • annaliza
    Ketchie,

This thread will be locked soon at 500.

Could you start a new thread soon?

Thanks!
  • beckyi88
    Jenny (((((hugs)))) Sorry about the knee! :frown:

For those of you who know these things....if the thread is locked at 500 will we still be able to access the old posts? I know Rainman has posted some great training logs as well as many others of you having excellent tips, plans, etc. I would hate to lose access!
  • annaliza
    Jenny (((((hugs)))) Sorry about the knee! :frown:

For those of you who know these things....if the thread is locked at 500 will we still be able to access the old posts? I know Rainman has posted some great training logs as well as many others of you having excellent tips, plans, etc. I would hate to lose access!

Yes, you will be able to access the old posts ...just not be able to post on it.

I agree...there is some really good advice on this board that I want to reread and hang on to.
  • io_ragazza
    io_ragazza Posts: 23
    Hi! I'm new to MFP and new to the running club!
    I completed my 1st 10k in May, and have just signed up to run a marathon in April next year :noway: ...
    Anyway, that does mean I should be posting on here quite regularly!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    It's an Up and Down week on MFP

So..So.. Sorry to hear of all the runners having some mechanical problems. It's part of the body adjusting to the new routine. Knowledge is power, and find the right experts. I get totally miffed with doc's giving the easy answer. Keep your spirits up, and don't give up. I have seen so many runners overcome injuries that strengthen both their character and will to run.

It is so wonderful to see the results in many people, you have all started the addiction. Really! Your life will begin to evolve around when and where you can run. It's awesome!!!

Great to see newbies keep coming on this board too, including myself. Welcome!

Start a new MFP board!!! I'll be answering all the same stuff... again... and again... But who care's, we are among friends.

I am off to my "free spirit" run. So sorry to all you clock watchers, I've been doing this too long to care about splits or distance anymore.
    Raymond
  • annaliza
    This thread is locked...Yay for the MFP Runner's club!!

Please refer to the new thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/56518-mfp-runner-s-club
This discussion has been closed.