Grab and Go Breakfasts???

Options

Replies

• jschm947
    jschm947 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I make these for work, but if you take just a general cake mix (preferably spice), mix in 1 cup of pineapple tidbits, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup raisins and 1/4 cup shredded carrots and add 2 cups of dry powdered milk to the dry mix, add the water and bake, you come up with a dense breakfast bar that not only is a grab and go item, but has one serving of fruit & vegetables in in, along with the nutritional value of one 8 oz serving of milk.

Our guys love it, (and I serve it to about 4000 people every morning).

Change out adding coconut, chocolate chips, M&M's and other goodies for a sweetness and crunch change.

Good Luck on your goals.

Nutrition facts?
  • dancingjr
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast food type of person. I go through a stage where I'll actually eat eggs and other breakfast foods but it doesn't last long. However, this is one of my new favorites. :)

Mild turkey sausage link (again not big on breakfast foods so I use mild sausage)
    Wheat English muffin toasted
    Strawberry jam (yummy!)

I actually pre-cook most of my food for the week because I don't always have time so I just get the precooked link out of the freezer, pop it in the mircowave and toast my muffin. I think it takes me all of two minutes.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    How about you just get up 30 minutes early and make breakfast?

That's what I do.

I wake up at 4AM to make it to work as it is. How about if you recognize that not everyone has the same schedule you do? That's what I do.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Usually I cook something (im a SAHM) , but when I need on the go:

Jimmy Dean canadian bacon muffins(210 cals)
    Fresh Fruit
    Vita Muffins (100 cals)
    snack bag of nuts (160 cals)
    pop 2 multigrain waffles in the toast (140 cals)
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    i make these and freeze them in freezer bags 2 in each. takes only a minute to nuke them and away you go!

1 onion
    1 green pepper
    4 cloves garlic
    1TBSP olive oil
    1 cup frozen or fresh spinach
    12 eggs
    1 cup fat reduced mozzarella cheese
    3 TBSP bacon bits

Is one serving 2 muffins?? I noticed you put 2 per baggie

Chop garlic and saute in oil. In the meantime chop the spinach, onion and green pepper. When garlic starts to turn light brown add green pepper, onion and spinach. Cook til spinach is done. Set aside to cool.
    In seperate bowl, whip eggs, cheese and bacon bits. when veggies cooled add them to this.
    Mix together. Spoon into muffin tins sprayed with cooking spray.
    Bake approx 20 mins in 350F preheated oven
    Makes 18

Per serving
    103 cals
    2g carbs
    7g fat
    9g protein
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Vita Muffins or Muffin Tops.

Pop 'em into the toaster for a minute and you have a yummy, high fiber treat. Banana Chocolate Chip and Deep Chocolate are my favorites! I'm addicted!! Sometimes when I'm craving chocolate at night, I have one then too. Only 100 calories and they have 9 grams of fiber!!
  • jatiger83
    jatiger83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I are a fan of Slim-Fast shakes for a grab and go breakfast. Special K shakes are ok but not my fav. They keep me full until snack time which is roughly 3 hours.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    I like to make this breakfast sandwich ahead of time, freeze it and grab it to microwave at work:

English muffin
    1 egg or egg beaters
    1-2 strips of turkey bacon
    Salsa

Toast the muffin, scramble the eggs and cook the bacon. Put the eggs and bacon on the muffin, smear with salsa. Stick in freezer. Microwave in a paper towel for 30 seconds or so. I like using a thick salsa so it doesn't get to drippy.

YUMMY
  • michelleg003
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

I buy 100% whole wheat bagel thins, poach an egg (I have a toaster that toasts the toast and poaches the egg, but I think there are microwave poachers too), and add a slice of 2% cheddar cheese on top. Yum! :)
  • meramon
    meramon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just found Joseph's Flax, Bran and Whole Wheat Squares. They're these huge square wrap-like things (1 serving is half of one sheet and is 50 cals). They're soft and yummy and you can fill them with whatever:
    - a smear of pb and banana
    - a square of Vache Qui Rit cheese and apple slices
    - an scrambled egg/omlette concoction...

I think the list is endless and it would be very "grab-n-go."
  • JenNorrid
    Options
    I make these for work, but if you take just a general cake mix (preferably spice), mix in 1 cup of pineapple tidbits, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup raisins and 1/4 cup shredded carrots and add 2 cups of dry powdered milk to the dry mix, add the water and bake, you come up with a dense breakfast bar that not only is a grab and go item, but has one serving of fruit & vegetables in in, along with the nutritional value of one 8 oz serving of milk.

Change out adding coconut, chocolate chips, M&M's and other goodies for a sweetness and crunch change.

Good Luck on your goals.

This sounds so yummy!!! Do you happen to know the calorie and nutrition break down??
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    This sounds awesome! I'm definitely going to try these!

Good Luck on your goals.
  • dodd319
    Options
    This sounds awesome too!

I like to make this breakfast sandwich ahead of time, freeze it and grab it to microwave at work:

English muffin
    1 egg or egg beaters
    1-2 strips of turkey bacon
    Salsa

Toast the muffin, scramble the eggs and cook the bacon. Put the eggs and bacon on the muffin, smear with salsa. Stick in freezer. Microwave in a paper towel for 30 seconds or so. I like using a thick salsa so it doesn't get to drippy.

YUMMY
  • dodd319
    Options
    Great idea!
    Slice a banana long wise in half, spread 1-2 tbs ( I usually do 1 b/c I'm not a big pb fan) on each half, then use half a container of yoplait boston creme pie yogurt putting it on the banana, sprinkle with granola or grape nuts..but again..I love granola to much so I try not to keep it in the house and go for the grape nuts,lol.
  • campuschef
    campuschef Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Good Luck on your goals.

This sounds so yummy!!! Do you happen to know the calorie and nutrition break down??

Nutritional Breakdown is:

Serving Size 314g
    Calories 580

Total Fat 9g (14%)
    Saturated 5g
    cholesterol 5mg
    Sodium 620mg
    total Carbohydrate 118g
    dietary fiber 7g
    sugars 58g
    protein 14g

vitamin A 390%
    Vitamin C 25%
    Calcium 50%
    Iron 20%

As I said, this is a total meal replacement for both milk and fruit serving. Tasty, filling and nutritious. To lower the sugar, try an artificial sweetener, but the cell structure of the cake will not form the crystaline mosaic associated with typical cakes.
  • smartal5
    smartal5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bumping!
  • mcbbr
    mcbbr Posts: 4
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am always looking for good shake recipes. I will try this shake. Thanks
  • candicejt
    candicejt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I Like to do cottage cheese and fruit sometimes.