Not what you thought it was............

Options

Replies

• TamsinEllis
    Options
    Mines not necessarily me not getting words right, but it is me being very slow .. Took me until two years ago to finally get the joke from the album name "Take Off Your Pants And Jacket" ... The moment I realized what it meant I burst out laughing, no one explained it to me, I was just sat there thinking and it just suddenly hit me. I was actually quite embarrassed I'd never got it before xD
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Tea Bagging....
    When I was a pre-teen, tea-bagging was a caffeine rush derived by sucking on tea-bags, and then jumping around with a slight high. Fast forward 30 years.

I saw some tea-bags dumped in the trash, and my son, aged 15, had a sleep-over with several of his friends. My wife had dumped those tea-bags, but I didn't know that. I jokingly said "I see you guys were tea-bagging - eh?"

They all looked at me wide-eyed, embarrassed. I continued...
    "Oh come on! I used to do that with my friends years ago" - and so the conversation went.
    I left it at a that, and it was not until later that night at a party that somebody advised me of my mistake.

I WAS APPALLED!

That is so funny, your son will never live that one down. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

How bad is this -- I've never heard of this, so I actually had to Google It. YIKES. I'm never doing THAT again -- wait, GOOGLING it, not DOING it. :blushing: Whew.

I'm just gonna shut up now. :huh:
  • sjflowers
    Options
    When I was about 8 I heard on the radio that illegal aliens were coming over the border... I thought it was aliens like "Close Encounters" and "E.T." Didn't sleep for two days!

13708062.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My son was about 10 or 11 at the time and we were in the truck and the song Amodeus came on. He started singing "hot potatoes, hot potatoes...hot potatoes."
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I saw a banner in Ottawa that the Rideau Cannal was officially Guiness certified. I thought it meant that they could now serve Guiness while people skated... no, it meant the the Guiness book of world records had certified it as the world's longest outdoor skating rink. My ex never let me live that one down...

hahah i freaking WISH i could have Guiness whilst skating on the canal. It'd make getting across Dow's Lake worth it!
  • Barbie1125
    Options
    My husband thought you had to have a rooster for a hen to lay egss . We fought about that one for years.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    "There's a Bad Moon On The Rise" by CCR was "There's a bathroom on the right" to me

John Fogerty sometimes sang it that way in concert at the end of the song as a joke since so many people thought those were the real lyrics.
  • katyconser
    katyconser Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness... this is so embarrassing!!

"billie jean is at my door..."

instead of "not my lover"

aahhhhhhh i can't believe i told! i totally got called out in a public venue AFTER MJ passed away. of course, i still get made fun of every time the song comes on!!
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    When I was learning the alphabet, I thought lmnop was one letter pronounced "elementa-pee".
  • psychopiglet
    psychopiglet Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    For a while I thought that Madonna's song "Ray Of Light" was about the actress, "Anna Friel"
    "Anna Friel like I just got home, Anna Friel!"

And my sister thought that in the Fatboy Slim song "Praise you" the lyrics were "I have to praise you like a shoe."
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    My son was about 10 or 11 at the time and we were in the truck and the song Amodeus came on. He started singing "hot potatoes, hot potatoes...hot potatoes."
    [/quote}
    love it! :laugh:
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I purposely mess with my kids by singing the songs they listen to wrong ..... I through my hands up in the air sometimes sayin' eh ho , where'd my hands go .......

That's awesome! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I thought the expression was "for all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes" until just a few years ago! And then I just about DIED of laughter when, on 30 Rock a couple weeks ago, there was a line of "idiots" picketing outside and Denise Richards was standing in it and she said "for all intensive purposes!" with a proud jut of her chin!

I always thought "for all intensive purposes" made no sense...but, you know, we have so many senseless idioms and phrases in the English language...I just went with it!

So, until I was 31 years old, I had no clue it was "for all intents and purposes" (wow! that really has a meaning now!).

I am 31 years old.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    :blushing: I just had to look it up on Google - Wow:laugh:
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    Tea Bagging. Funniest. Story. EVER!

people at work think I'm crazy for laughing uncontrollably for seemingly no reason.
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When I was about 8 I heard on the radio that illegal aliens were coming over the border... I thought it was aliens like "Close Encounters" and "E.T." Didn't sleep for two days!

13708062.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Very funny! I love it
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Bon Jovi / livin' on a prayer ...." it doesn't matter if we're naked or not " instead of if we make it or not
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I like the new volkswagen commercial featuring Elton Johns Rocket man lyrics... thats totally me.....
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    my brother thought that when a man got a vas. they cut his balls off... he's 27 and I just convinced him he was wrong lol
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have two....that song "Hang On Sloopy" by the McCoys? When I was little, I'd always sit in the backseat and belt out what I thought it was: "HANG ON STUPID, STUPID HANG ON!!!"

And this makes me feel really dumb because deep down, I KNEW this....when I was a kid, I was obsessed with the movie White Christmas (still am, actually), but it made me think Vermont was the name of the ski resort town they went to. Now, I know deep in my brain, I knew Vermont was a state because I could sing that "50 Nifty United States" song perfectly WITH Vermont in it. My friends in college had a heydey with that one!