Not what you thought it was............

Options

Replies

• lwalters5
    lwalters5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Heard a joke about this over the holidays, and seriously, could totally relate to it, because until I joined choir in 5th grade in school, I sooooo thought these were the words:

"... Olive, the other reindeer, used to laugh & call him names..."

:blushing:

I will have to tell my sister! She did the same thing and we always make fun of her for it!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Tea Bagging....
    When I was a pre-teen, tea-bagging was a caffeine rush derived by sucking on tea-bags, and then jumping around with a slight high. Fast forward 30 years.

I saw some tea-bags dumped in the trash, and my son, aged 15, had a sleep-over with several of his friends. My wife had dumped those tea-bags, but I didn't know that. I jokingly said "I see you guys were tea-bagging - eh?"

They all looked at me wide-eyed, embarrassed. I continued...
    "Oh come on! I used to do that with my friends years ago" - and so the conversation went.
    I left it at a that, and it was not until later that night at a party that somebody advised me of my mistake.

I WAS APPALLED!

This is the best story ever!
  • emstgm
    emstgm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    OK, it wasn't me but someone I work with. She is Cuban and though she speaks very good English, apparently there are some words she never quite learned correctly.

She was telling me she never baked cookies from scratch. Only from the 'dog'. "Dog?" I asked? What do you mean? She replied, "You know, it comes before the cookies, you know, the cookie dog."

I replied, "Dough, you mean??"

"What? Dough?? That's how you say it?? Oooh, that Anthony!" (as she curses her husband for never correcting her and believing that DOUGH is pronounced DOG.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    It wasn't until I was in my mid 20s that I learned it was the wind CHILL effect and not the windShield effect. I thought they measured how cold the air hitting the windshield was.
  • Phoenyx0189
    Options
    When I was a kid, my daddy used to play a lot of rap, and I always remember this one snoop dog song coming on and I used to sing "rolling down the street smokin' indo sippin' on ginger juice...." Terrible song for a child to hear! And theres this one old school song that goes "send me forget me nots to help me to remember" and I always thought she said "send me fifty bucks to help me to remember" Fifty bucks would've helped me remember a bunch!
  • Chevitz
    Options
    There is an old song by Gene Pitney called, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" that my parents listened to... my brother and I, for YEARS, sang it as, "The man who shot Flibbety Flabbett"...

Johnny Rivers sings, "Secret Agent Man" & again, my brother and I thought it was "Secret Asian Man"... sigh.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    When we were growing up my older brtoher convinced me it was "Hark, the hare-lip angels sing"
    instead of Hark the Herald Angels Sing.

In college I had a girlfriend who used to say "va-GINE-al" instead of "vaj-i-nal"...not that it really came up in conversation all that much...
  • Phoenyx0189
    Options
    On the way to the beach with a girlfriend of mine, back when nickelback was cool.....(if ever) we were listening to their song this is how you remind me.....She belts out...."tired of livin' like a black man"
    I just stared at her with my jaw dropped and told her it was a BLIND man! We couldnt stop laughing and I tease her about it years later.

OH MY GOLLY! I used to think that forever!!!!! I'm soooooo glad I wasn't the only one!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump to read later.... great thread! ;)
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Tea Bagging....
    When I was a pre-teen, tea-bagging was a caffeine rush derived by sucking on tea-bags, and then jumping around with a slight high. Fast forward 30 years.

I saw some tea-bags dumped in the trash, and my son, aged 15, had a sleep-over with several of his friends. My wife had dumped those tea-bags, but I didn't know that. I jokingly said "I see you guys were tea-bagging - eh?"

They all looked at me wide-eyed, embarrassed. I continued...
    "Oh come on! I used to do that with my friends years ago" - and so the conversation went.
    I left it at a that, and it was not until later that night at a party that somebody advised me of my mistake.

I WAS APPALLED!
    lmao!!!!! ^^^I am sure your son and friends were appalled!!! This made my night!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    soooo i guess kissing doesn't make babies! I used to think if you kissed someone, you would get pregnant! I thought this was true up until middle school. haha
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I once overheard my roommate (on her cell phone) tell someone that they'd better watch out, or they would "reap the percussions" (aka. repercussions) of their actions. I stopped her, asking "Do you realize you just told someone they would harvest drum sets?"

omg i just snorted! thats freaking hilarious

ok, that's too funny!~ And seriously as I was reading I snarfed out loud too! LMAO!
  • Phoenyx0189
    Options
    One of the kids I babysit refuses to say hand sanitizer properly, he says san hanitizer.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    One of the kids I babysit refuses to say hand sanitizer properly, he says san hanitizer.
    That's a spoonerism :smile:
  • JLWilson27
    Options
    Okay my stomach hurts for laughing so much ... can I log this in my exercise! LOL

I had a trainee (police dispatching) give out an armed robbery at the La Quinta ... she pronounced it "QWINTA" instead of the "KEENTA"

There was so much silence on the radio before someone finally keyed up, and through his laughter, said he was responding to the call. I couldn't breathe I was laughing so hard!

When I finally calmed down I tried to correct her, she said ummm no the QU sounds like QW, you know like Queen.
  • Phoenyx0189
    Options
    That's a spoonerism :smile:

I learned a new word today! Forgive me, I can be a little slow sometimes. He actually says it correctly now, but for a while he flipped the two beginning consonants.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Growing up in southern cali i always thought in the cal worthington commercials they were singing p ussy cow not go see cal

I grew up in Sacramento. They had those commercials there too and I thought the same damn thing.

When the song "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" (Great White version) came out, I thought he was saying, "There's blood on my amp and my left ball's beat". In my defense, I was 12 and not familiar with guitar brands.

One from my husband. He was watching wrestling and referred to a wrestler as "muy caliente" several times. I finally turned to him and said, "Is there something you'd like to tell me?" Apparently, he thought it meant "very awesome". Which is weird considering he comes from a Spanish speaking family (on his dad's side).
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    These are great! Let's see...

I used to work on a farm, and it took me a while to get used to the different greens- green lettuce vs romaine vs bibb vs kale etc... I had worked there for about a week when I noticed some weird, rolled up lettuce balls. Confused, I picked it up and asked my boss, "what the hell kind of lettuce is this?" She stared at me for a second and then said, "Kate, that's a cabbage." Everyone within earshot just about pee'd themselves laughing. :blushing:
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    she said ummm no the QU sounds like QW, you know like Queen.

Well she's not wrong.
    I love that in Detroit there are French streets that are just butchered. Why would they name a street in Detroit Pelissier (Pell-iss-ee-ay) even though everyone pronounces it Pell-ish-er?
  • princessmedic
    Options
    The first few times I heard the song G6 I thought it said "Like a cheese stick, like a cheese stick...feeling so fry like a cheese stick" and I thought what a stupid song!