Things you see at the Gym

Options

Replies

• srenebailey
    srenebailey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There is a guy at my gym who finds the heaviest weights he can find and then does squats with them while walking around the entire gym. He clearly cannot handle these weights, they are about as big as he is, but he tries sooo hard.

One time, no joke, me and 3 other people were in the whirlpool, and a lady come to get in the whirlpool with absolutely no clothes on. You should have seen the rest of us rushing to get out before she got in. Her lower area was disgusting!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Theres a guy at my gym who drums & sings along with whatever is on his iPod, and who makes 'bedroom' noises when lifting weights.
    Trouble is I'm married to him!:laugh:
  • Savagegirlt
    Options
    Hmmm I don't go to gyms very often, but there are a few....

Guys who do stupid weighted moves that only make em 'look' good in a shirt... and nothing else
    Girls who won't work hard enough to break a sweat
    Old ladies in the locker room who have little to no modesty/decorum etc (young ladies too)
    Old men who hit on me...seriously? I'm less than half your age :P
    The 'chatty Kathys' who want to talk your ear off
    Sweaty machines not wiped down.... ewww
    Mostly late teens-early 20s who spend more time on their cell phone/ipod/other gadget than their workout
    Kids not being supervised
    Crazy prices for admission/memberships :P (Why I workout at home)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    The most recent thing that really has me thinking WTF is this couple that goes to my gym. They'll hold hands to each station they're going to and give each other kisses in between exercises...WTFFFFF?!

omg, i saw something similar in the fall, when it was still warm enough to bike outside. this couple, biking right next to each other HOLDING HANDS. no helmets, no regard for the shared pedestrian-cyclist bike path. rediculous.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I always shake my head a bit when I see "big girls" (my size, 220+) who get on the treadmill for 10 minutes then go buy a gatorade and leave. And I see them do it 4 days a week.

Seriously, who are you kidding?
  • GirlAnachronismE
    GirlAnachronismE Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of so much of this. I run 5k with a massive grin on my face wearing completely innappropriate clothes and shoes (pajama bottoms and high top converses), but I really enjoy running, and I can't afford to go buy new workout clothes! I am saving up for some proper trainers though. It's really funny to see the guys in full on running gear try and keep up with me, and then their faces when they can't!

But i agree, if you are on a phone, you are not working out hard enough! And 3 minutes of walking on a treadmill is not a workout!
  • mzchoize
    mzchoize Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump! Too funny...
  • ldmendes
    ldmendes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Soo many! There's this old guy who comes to the gym, really skinny and grossley flexible..anyway he smells really bad and smells up the whole gym. One member said he made the pool taste bad! Gross!
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Dudes that constantly admire themselves in the mirrors of the weight area. Every time they pass the mirror it's...pause, flex...

They are like people who pick their noses while driving... WE CAN SEE YOU!

If you can't pick your nose while driving, when can you pick your nose? ;)
  • alikat5544
    alikat5544 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I actually saw a lady get on the elevator when I was heading up to workout I get up there and she is getting off the elevator and goes directly to the stairmaster. Tired of the resolutioners jabbering, good thing is they are starting to go away. The people in jeans always crack me up. The worst is being on the second row of treadmills and some really really wide lady gets on the one in front of you and has "pink" or "sexy" in bright shiny silver across the butt.
    I will say I use the elevator if I can if my knees are bothering me, but I don't get on the stairmaster!
  • hsmithway
    Options
    I've also been laughed at for how I look on the eliptical. I'm the guy with the super intense look on his face blasting heavy metal into his headphones and headbanging once in a while. It looks ridiculous but I really don't care ;)

So chalk one up for: seeing heavy metal guy on the eliptical pretending he's at a metal concert while working out.

Haha, that's hilarious. My behavior is similar, though I'm usually bouncing my head up and down while mouthing the words to something like The Pixies or 7 Seconds. And workout clothing in flamboyant colors cheers me up, so I guess I'm the purple punk-rock chick. Or something. :huh: :laugh:

As for other people at my gym, I live in a small town and mostly go during the day, so it's generally me and a bunch of senior citizens. There's one guy who's probably in his 70's who I think is doing a few PT type exercises, because he always comes in wearing khaki pants, loafers, and button down plaid dress shirts. There's also an older woman who always comes in right on time to watch "The Price Is Right" while she works out. It makes me giggle, but in a happy comfortable sort of way. I'm totally going to the right gym for me.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know we are there for our workouts but the Gym is a soap opera full of very interesting characters.

It never ceases to amaze me when I am in the locker room and women walk around butt *kitten* naked. Boobs flapping around everywhere not to mention that spider about to jump at me. And why is that the time they pick to have a full on convo. LADY: the barrier on personal space increases with nakedness.

Dont get me started on the dude who wears NO underwear with his teeny workout shorts......

What do you see in the Gym that makes you go....WTH????

In a common locker room I just sort of expect to see nakedness... no big whup. Don't gawk, go about yer bizniss, get in get out. Of course, I played high school sports where the locker room and showers were all common - same thing, so I'm just used to it I suppose.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    -the carrot man with his bandanna
    - the girl wearing a shirt that says "run, run, run"..and she's barely walking..that's false advertisement!
    - the girl is the mans muscle shirt with all jiggling below the sports bra
    - the man that wears a track coach shirt..every day!
    - the girl in Zumba who wears a sequin shirt and a full face of make-up
    - the 80 year old man booking the track...and putting us all to shame!
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Dudes that constantly admire themselves in the mirrors of the weight area. Every time they pass the mirror it's...pause, flex...

^
    LMAO! :laugh: There is one guy at my gym that does this nonstop. He will lift the bar like 3 times and drop it, then flex and feel his arms, then look to see who is looking at him. I crack up every time. and the girls that come to the gym in a FULL face of make-up and are constantly looking around to see who is there, not really working out, then the annoying girl who has headphones on but starts singing aloud because she thinks she has a voice,, ... but...she DOESN'T! :noway:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    So I haaaave to say, most of the others I agree are a bit obnoxious/comical, but sometimes I wonder if the people in jeans just simply had a bad day - forgot their gym clothes, only had that block of time to go to the gym, etc.

I mean, if they're committed, who are we to judge!

I will also say that these comments are what kept me from the gym for so long, for fear of looking like an idiot because I was a "newbie." :)
    This, although some of these did make me smile!
  • shoover10
    Options
    My gym is pretty awesome. I don't see anything all the weird.
    All the newbs are getting annoying though...and Monday nights are crazy packed.
    I'm excited for when most of them fall off the wagon. Is that mean of me? :blushing:

Not at all! I have been avoiding my gym after work because of them I now go in the mornings. It's just annoying since most of them don't have regular gym etiquette and are clogging things up for 2 months before they go back to status quo.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options

^
    LMAO! :laugh: There is one guy at my gym that does this nonstop. He will lift the bar like 3 times and drop it, then flex and feel his arms, then look to see who is looking at him. I crack up every time. and the girls that come to the gym in a FULL face of make-up and are constantly looking around to see who is there, not really working out, then the annoying girl who has headphones on but starts singing aloud because she thinks she has a voice,, ... but...she DOESN'T! :noway:
    i do look at myself in the mirror sometimes to make sure i am working the right part of the muscle. For example, I am working on evening my bicep peaks so i work my right bicep harder and feel my muscle to make sure the outer head is getting worked on. If you had this problem you know this is really tough. And although i feel very weird flexing I don't do it yet but after reading this i will start doing it. ***** it i will do what I need it's not like i am trying to show off....
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I know there has been several posts about people not wiping down machines when they are done. I encountered a guy today that is the total opposite. I have seen signs at gyms before stating not to spray the equipment directly and to use the paper towels provided. I thought my gym had this policy but it was not on the sign nearest the elliptical equipment. While in the middle of workout today, this DB grabs the spray bottle and douses the machine with it. Of course the spray is also circulating in the air making it difficult to breathe. I had to cover my nose & mouth until he was done. It was quite tempting to step off my machine and knock the jerk out.

He is the only person I have seen clean his machine that way. Everyone else sprays the paper towels and wipes them down.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    My gym is mainly used by people who work in the City of London, so a lot of users are in a hurry.

My pet peeve is women who turn up for a class, get changed, don't put their belongings in a locker choosing to leave them on the benches and then at the end of their class pick up their belongings and leave the gym without showering.

Annoys me on two fronts as I have no where to change when I finish my work out and I would not want to be standing next to them on the tube.