Dr Oz says people who cheat lose more weight

Options

Replies

• CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    On that note, let me have a bite off my top deck chocolate.
  • epurucker82
    epurucker82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree...once in while I crave some Ben and Jerry or some chips and dip...it's life and your not going to only eat your allowed calories every day for the rest of your life. That would be nuts!!! It just makes me work harder the next day....:drinker:
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Ok..maybe I need to watch that show because all I got from these posts is that everyone cheats with a guy named Spike. I'm sure he's getting all the exercise he needs. :wink:

Lol....too funny!! I would like to understand this spike thing....
  • modgirlrachel
    modgirlrachel Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If anyone on here has ever been to bodybuilding dot com forums, they talk about this all the time, "cheat meal" is what they usually call it. You're not going to hinder your goals by having one high calorie meal now and then :)
  • Prettypiglett
    Prettypiglett Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ok..maybe I need to watch that show because all I got from these posts is that everyone cheats with a guy named Spike. I'm sure he's getting all the exercise he needs. :wink:

ha ha :)
  • Upanddown
    Upanddown Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Lost 43 pounds in 6 months splurging on weekends! I eat very "clean" Mon to Fri
    Then on Saturday I eat a healthy breakfast and lunch on and Saturday night I usually have a couple of beers or wine and eat what I want.
    Typically Sunday mornings we go out for breakfast and I eat in moderation (not really clean) and dinner is usually whatever I want. Then on Monday morning.....it's right back to "clean eating". I'm usually down in weight by Tuesday if not already!!!
    I think one has to kind of play with this concept and see whether your body is good with "one day" or if you can pull it off with a wknd or perhaps even just one meal. But it does seem to work for most.
    It's that 20% payoff for being good the other 80% of the week!!! Enjoy!!! =-)
  • pitboss59
    Options
    Dr. Oz has nailed the problems with obesity want a new life style and not a new diet or fad .
    Must reads YOU ON A DIET and YOU An Owners Manual
  • Lina300
    Lina300 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thats reassuring cause I certainly spiked yesterday.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I incorporate higher calorie days during my cuts, typically once per week and between maintenance and +500 or so kcal.

But having said that, I think this picture sums up my opinion of pretty much any nutritional advice Dr. Oz has:

zwhl3p.jp
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I saw the episode. I'm glad to hear it works.
  • ericapage
    ericapage Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This is true... a little shock to the body does the body good.

It worked for me! The first month on my fitness plan I lost 12 lbs. The second month the scale just wouldn't budge the first 2 weeks. I went out with some friends and ate "bad" then jumped back on the bandwagon. When I weighed myself 4 days later I had lost 3 lbs! That night I was over 2000 cal. and about 80g of fat. Ick! I felt like crap the next day. It was almost like a food hangover. Ughhhh.... I'm on a 1200 calorie a day plan and so now I go to 1400-1500 once or twice a week and it's working great. I lost another 3 pounds last week. This is crazy!
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I watched the episode, and the thing is, he's not encouraging eating WHATEVER on a spike day. He made more healthy suggestions but eating more of them. not chips, chocolate, beer, fat-laden foods.

Did anyone else actually watch it?
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    On every Tuesday, I take my daughter to Weight Watchers to get weighed in. We end up at Denny's for supper, so that is my splurge meal. Last couple times, I had the the Ultimate Skillet and the other week was Western Skillet. I don't agree with having egg whites in place of real eggs. I have scrapped their chocolate shake for their cup of coffee. I end up with about 800 calories for the meal. :glasses:

My Mom and I used to go to Weight Watchers several years ago. We would go early Saturday mornings, weigh in, then go out for breakfast and eat whatever the heck we wanted to without ever adding the points or even bothering to count them just to see how many points or calories would be in the meal. We didn't care. Then after breakfast we would go back into WW mode, and lose by the next Saturday morning.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I don't do it every week, but I do have the occasional high-calorie day. If there is a holiday, or family gathering, or date night, I go ahead and enjoy myself and don't stress over it. I might go 1000 calories over my goal (currently that would be 750 over maintenance since I'm set to 1/2 lb per week) but it balances out with the deficit I've maintained for the rest of the week. And I tend to suddenly drop extra weight that I wasn't expecting a day or two later. Sometimes if I'm planning ahead for one of those 'spike' days, I might go and extra 100-200 lower than my goal for 3-5 days beforehand and then REALLY enjoy myself on that day to the point where I can't even estimate my log. And it always works out just fine and I always still lose at least the amount of weight I normally would, even with all that extra food that day.

I had a family function 1 month ago where I saw a lot of people I hadn't seen in about a year, everyone knew I'd lost weight and commented on how great I was looking and of course they asked what I'd been doing - and I told them counting calories and exercising. I'd planned for that day to be a spike day b/c I knew I wasn't going to hold back on all that yummy family cooking, one person saw me get a huge slice of cocunut cake and asked 'is that on your diet?' like she was trying to get me in line - I loved being able to respond "It is today!". Then I lost like 1.5 lbs 2 days later when I got home from the trip. Priceless.

P.S. I'm not really concerned with whatever Dr. Oz recommended since it sounds like his cheat day isn't even a cheat day, I'm just sharing what has worked well for me. :-)
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I watched the episode, and the thing is, he's not encouraging eating WHATEVER on a spike day. He made more healthy suggestions but eating more of them. not chips, chocolate, beer, fat-laden foods.

Did anyone else actually watch it?

While I agree that it's not necessary to go whole hog, why not enjoy a reasonable portion of chips, chocolate, or beer if that's what gives you some pleasure?

As for fat-laden foods, I don't believe in low-fat anyway. But that's for another discussion thread.
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of you and what has worked for you. I didn't know if anyone had watched the show. It was very misleading.
  • Pattinan
    Pattinan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Love Dr. Oz
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I read in the" body for life" book that he does 1 day a week of cheating with a dozon glaze doughnuts throughout the day along with other things.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I cheat every Friday and Saturday lol. It's worked for me too. :happy: