40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    is this listed as an MFP group? I couldnt find it and would like to join in :smile:
  • Calzaretta
    Calzaretta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone:
    Great to see lots of runners and fitness enthusiasts here. I joined MFP to get control of my habits so that I can perform at my best and better enjoy all the activities that I love to do. Reading about all these successes is very motivating. I can't wait to watch my progress as I get my BFP below 15 and beyond!
  • RenCara
    RenCara Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hello, Everyone-
    It is so nice to read how you all are doing. Things are going great for me. Life is still crazy but I am getting my cardio, strength and flex (hot yoga) workouts in on most days. I have decided that I must make this a priority in my life, even if it means one of my family members must bend too.
    I hope you all stay healthy and strong!
    Cara
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    tag :flowerforyou:
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Finally found you.....THANKS CHRIS! :flowerforyou: BUMP
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :sad: LadyPersia, I would be crying. Those are not cheap to buy new.

:flowerforyou: Cara, I understand how it seems that we don't have enough hours in the day to do what we should. Because I go to the YMCA right after work, I don't see much of my husband. He goes home after work, eats and then takes a nap. He goes to the YMCA just about the time I am leaving there. He will stay until they close at 11:00 and I am already fast asleep by then.

:flowerforyou: helenbeee, I don't think this has become a group yet. It is a thread and you are most certainly welcome to participate.

I went to my strength class last night for an hour and then an hour of spinning.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hello, Everyone-
    It is so nice to read how you all are doing. Things are going great for me. Life is still crazy but I am getting my cardio, strength and flex (hot yoga) workouts in on most days. I have decided that I must make this a priority in my life, even if it means one of my family members must bend too.
    I hope you all stay healthy and strong!
    Cara

Good for you! This is such a great realization. I worry sometimes, since I'm at home now and not working that when I start to work again, keeping up like this will be impossible. I am in awe of all of you for what you are able to accomplish with all the daily juggles....Swiss, I'm thinking of your comment too...that time w/your husband is cut short a bit.

I have been thinking this morning about one problem I need to fix--and that's the amount of sleep I get. I want to stay up until 11 to hang w/my husband, then read for a little bit, and then I get up at 5:30 every morning. 6 hrs of sleep.....not good! I work so hard to be healthy in so many ways, and I know I can't sustain this for too long. I'm falling asleep on the couch each night and feel like a drag..... But I'm not sure what will need to give......time w/the hubby, or time in the morning that I need peace and quiet before having to do everything in the world for my family......tradeoffs. It is hard!

Calzaretta, glad you found us!

helenbee---nope, no group needed to join. You know, we brought another thread I participate into a group and I think it was a mistake--I don't think anyone ever thinks to join and find it. You can't find the post under the general-forum threads and I don't think the site does enough ongoing to even let new people know groups exist. This is much better for new people to find and participate..... and please do!

Oh, LadyPersia, that is such a bummer you didn't get the P90x....what a find that would have been. I have seen it used on Amazon too but I think it was more like 1/2 price of a new one, still pretty expensive.....it is worth it if you see it again somewhere!

Have a great day! Robin
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,969 Member
    Options
    I hear ya on the sleep thing, Robin. Sleep is the one thing I won't trade. I go to bed between 10 and 10:30 every night. And, I'm up about 6:00. 7 - 7.5 hours is perfect for me. But, I need it EACH-AND-EVERY night. Anytime the kids are up, or any other disruption, and I lose TONS of sleep and I'm HORRIBLE until that is fixed!

Today is HIIT cardio and stretching. Oh, and 2 weeks, 6 days until Hawaii.

:happy:
  • mary127
    mary127 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, just found this thread and want in to the cool kids club, lol! Looks like you're all doing so great. Ran (jogged) my first 5k last August and just did my fourth one on my bday in January at Disneyland. Not very fast but I finish them all jogging the whole course which has been my goal. Now I'm hoping to cut some time off the next one. Looking forward to reading about all your accomplishments. Have a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Am taking a few minutes on my lunch break to try and get caught up with everyone.

Robin - I don't know how you do it. One of the things that I am finally learning is that my body needs sleep. I work all day and then I workout each day, and my body requires the rest to repair itself. I certainly can feel it when I have not had enough sleep (like last night).
    If there are days when my workouts are not going well, I can usually look back at diet & rest. Did I fuel properly? Did I get enough rest?
    Is there another time during the day that you can fit your workout in that will allow you to sleep a little longer in the morning? I know you dont' want to sacrafice time with hubby, which is important.

Lady Persia - I would have cried as well. I think I am going to have to check out the local Thrift Shop on the occasions they hold them here. I guess one never knows what deals can be found.

Beeps - did you say you were going to Hawaii? That is one "hot spot" that I long to go to. One of these days. :happy: Have a wonderful time!!

crewella - glad you found us again! :happy:

Swiss - great job on your workouts - wieghts and spinning!

I am feeling so frustrated. I have been exercising daily and logging my food. Today I stepped on the scale and I back up 2 lbs!! :grumble: I am going to try and not eat my exercise calories, but I know that will be diffcult. I find that when I do, I go no where but slowly....UP. :sad:

Went out x-country skiing again yesterday to help my friend try and get her snowplowing down pact. We did a few miles of trails and when we hit the hills we were up and down as many times as she needed. She said, if she fell, she would do it again until she could make it down without falling. Needless to say, it took us a while - we were up and down those hills quite a few times. All good work though! :smile:

Welocme Mary127, Calzaretta & helenbee - happy to have you join us. :flowerforyou:

Have a great day all. :flowerforyou:
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been missing for a while.... We sold two houses in Nevada. One was sold while we were still in process of working on it (not even on the market yet) and they wanted it done so they could move in in a week! Really?!!!! So we spent extra time over there finishing that. Then last week I walked into my tax accountants office to collect our tax returns and walked out with a job! I started last Monday.

I must wanted you to know I haven't fallen off the face of the earth and I am hoping that after I bet used to the extra work load I will be able to be on here more.

Ooppss - Tron -nice to see you back! Congratulations on your new job!!:drinker:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys, havent been here much. Very busy at work and at home. I havent let go of my exercise routine and healthy eating though. That is also taking a lot of my time lately. Sometimes I wish I wasnt tracking that much, it will be a little easier...but for now I will continue doing it until I go back to my comfortable weight.

Robin, thank you so much for the recipe. I will try it soon. I am loving quinoa right now. I know my husband pretends he likes it but I dont think he does.

Everyone seems to be doing great!!! Keep it up!!! And welcome to the new members. Keep posting!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • gibbyup
    Options
    So encouraging to read everyone's progress and see you all keeping at it each day!

First weigh-in today, down three pounds! I know it's probably mostly water but hey, it still made me feel good. Also, my walking pace has sped up. I started at a 20-minute mile two weeks ago, and today I'm allllllllmost up to a 15-minute mile. I'm excited to feel my feet starting to want to run again while I walk. I haven't run since I broke my back a few years ago and I miss it terribly. If I can keep myself restrained enough to get back into it slowly, then maybe-hopefully-please God! I will be able to call myself a runner once again.

Happy Thursday to you all!
    16628243.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    sdereski - yep, we're off to Maui on Feb. 29!!

(PS - didn't you start weight-training in January?? It would be *very* common for the scale number to go up when you're weight-training. Can you chuck the scale - for awhile - and just gauge if your clothes are feeling looser??)

alf - I think tracking take *a lot* of time, too. But, I'm committed to the process.

gibby - good for you for weighing-in! Nice that your walking pace has reduced soooooooo much! Good for you!
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone! Wanted to take a minute to update everyone on my month long experiment.

I decided to go to the MFP rec calories for a 2lbs/week wt loss, not do any other physical activity other than my daily activity level and see if I would lose at that rate just based on calories consumed. I did this because I wasn't having very consistent success with the 1lb/week wt loss with set calories and excercise (both eating my excercise calories and not eating my excercise calories and only eating 1/2 my excercise calories! :cry:

The results were very encouraging, from 1/5 to 2/2 I lost exactly 10lbs! :drinker:

Obviously there was something to dropping from 1440c/day to 1220c/day or something about the excercise? What do you guys think?

I plan to work my way up from here....sticking with the 1200c/day but tracking an additional 330c/week in excercise and eating those excercise calories back and see if I stay on the same wt loss rate. I'm not going to do this for a whole month but for 2 weeks. I want to try to work up faster to more excercise because I don't want to risk losing too much muscle.

I'll keep you all posted! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    That's an interesting experiment, crewella!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Today is weight-training. And, I've changed my profile pic, for one day, in honour of "Lady Guns Day" thread on mfp!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Checking in. I am sure that this is due to the fact that I have to walk everywhere now at work...I lost 3 pounds just this week.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm 40+ and I didn't realise that that fact alone made me cool! :smile:
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    Greetings to everyone!

My name is Rosie and I am almost 40 to be exact I am 39 1/2. I can certainly benefit in getting tips from all of you and providing group support. I have those 8 stubborn pounds that won't go away. Consistent with exercise and healthy choices except some 1600 calorie consumption days 2-3 times a week!.