Vegetarian group. Kick-off WEEK 1

Options

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    yes I eat the Quorn products range but they are very high in fat which is part of my trouble and why I go over my fat allowance when tryign to reach 1200 calories / day... :ohwell:

Have you eaten plain tofu? It's got hardly any fat and you can dress it up the way you want.
  • Hanni
    Hanni Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    yes I eat the Quorn products range but they are very high in fat which is part of my trouble and why I go over my fat allowance when tryign to reach 1200 calories / day... :ohwell:

Have you eaten plain tofu? It's got hardly any fat and you can dress it up the way you want.

no I have not tried plain tofu yet (other than in a thai curry). I find it hard to find easy vegetarian recipes and havent even ventured as far as using tofu yet. But I will give it a go. Any websites for Tofu recipes that you could recommend?

Thank you x
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Hi,

no I have not tried plain tofu yet (other than in a thai curry). I find it hard to find easy vegetarian recipes and havent even ventured as far as using tofu yet. But I will give it a go. Any websites for Tofu recipes that you could recommend?

Thank you x

There are a bazillion sites out there. vegcooking.com is a great one. Also, stop by your library and pick up The Moosewood Cookbook (Mollie Katzen)...always a great book.
  • Hanni
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you x

There are a bazillion sites out there. vegcooking.com is a great one. Also, stop by your library and pick up The Moosewood Cookbook (Mollie Katzen)...always a great book.

great, thank you!
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to say hello :flowerforyou:

Welcome SimonsSchatz! Do you eat morning star or boca products? They aren't 2 bad. I've been looking around the web trying to find good vegetarian recipes, there are def a lot of them out there. How's it going so far? Have you found anything?
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you x

I made a list a while ago of some simple ideas for a quick meal...I'm sure I have many additions by now but here it is!

Meal Ideas

Fake hot dogs topped with chopped onion, veggie chili and soy cheese

Broccoli slaw salad with Asian sesame dressing or mandarin orange dressing

Veggie Nachos-corn chips with veggie chili, guac, tomatoes, soy cheese

BBQ onion pita- sauté red onion then add some open pit bbq sauce, add slice of veggie cheese

Veggie Pita- cucumbers, sprouts, tomato, with balsamic vinaigrette

Grilled cheese with veggie slices and tomato

BLT (use fake bacon)

Tofurky Brat with sautéed white onion and spicy mustard

Faux chicken patty with mayo and cheese on whole wheat bun

Veggie burger with onion, lettuce and tomato

Homemade pizza with veggies, or olive oil, garlic, artichoke and black olive pizza

Tortillas with “cream cheese” and sundried tomatoes with lettuce and dried basil (can add fake chicken strips)

Sundried tomato polenta sautéed with olive oil, drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and fresh basil

PMC on wheat bun- pickles “mayo” and veggie cheese

Homemade French onion soup

Black bean cakes with lime mayo

sauted tofu cubes with sundried tomatoes, fresh spinach and garlic

Sides:

Steamed broccoli with garlic salt and pepper

Carrots glazed with brown sugar

Green beans with soy sauce, honey and peanuts

Snacks:

Roasted Red pepper hummus with pita chips

Bananas with soynut butter

Almonds

Apples with soy cheese slices

On the road vegan fare:

Taco bell- bean burrito fresco style

Burger King- veggie burger no cheese or mayo

Chili’s- Black bean burger with no ranch (side of honey mustard)

Quiznos- Veggie sub

Chipotle-veggie tacos
  • landry1
    landry1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    try the fat free vegan website her food is great

fatfreevegan.com
  • Hanni
    Options
    Just dropping in to say hello :flowerforyou:

Welcome SimonsSchatz! Do you eat morning star or boca products? They aren't 2 bad. I've been looking around the web trying to find good vegetarian recipes, there are def a lot of them out there. How's it going so far? Have you found anything?

Hi Kidvicious,

we dont have these products in the UK, at least not that I know of. I was looking yesterday for tofu recipes. but they werent so great to be honest, unless you put it in a stir fry, but hey thats not difficult is it. I was hoping to find a bit mroe different options.
    I will just randomly add it to food i guess. :smile:
  • Hanni
    Options
    Thank you jlauren! :flowerforyou:
  • Hanni
    Options
    try the fat free vegan website her food is great

fatfreevegan.com

I just had a quick look, it looks great! thanks so much for this!! :happy:
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I'm excited for this group!

Goal weight loss in lbs - I lost 20 pounds (146 to 126) and I'm trying to maintain, though I wouldn't mind being 123, my lowest weight while participating in a diet study

# of Kids (or do you want kids)- no kids, and I plan to adopt after I'm 30.

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? - since 1999 - wow, 10 years!

Age- 27 and 11/12

Anything else you want to share - I'm currently living in China with my husband (1 year anniversary next month!), teaching math and English to Chinese students who want to study in the US. Also, I like making friends!
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    glad to see you joined our group!!! Welcome and good luck with everything :smile:
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Wanted to share some of these breakfast recipes:

- Sweet-Potato Pancakes with Honey-Cinnamon Butter -

For the honey-cinnamon butter

* 1/4 cup low fat unsalted butter, at room temperature
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

For the sweet-potato pancakes

* 2 large eggs
    * 1 cup low fat buttermilk, plus more if necessary
    * 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 1 cup store-bought pancake mix
    * 1 small pinch ground nutmeg
    * 1 small sweet potato, boiled, peeled, and mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
    1. Beat together the butter, honey, and cinnamon until smooth. Transfer to the refrigerator until ready to use.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and oil. Stir in the pancake mix and nutmeg until just combined. Fold in the sweet potato. If the batter seems too thick, add more buttermilk until it reaches the desired consistency (it should be thick but still pourable).

3. Place a large, greased griddle or pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, spoon the batter onto it and cook until the surface of the pancake is covered with bubbles, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until golden, 1 to 2 minutes more. Serve, topped with the honey-cinnamon butter and a little maple syrup.

- Breakfast Burritos -
    Eggs - 8
    Jalapeno peppers - 2 (chopped and seeded)
    Green bell pepper - 1/3 cup (chopped)
    Tomatoes - 2 (seeded and chopped)
    Low fat cheddar cheese - 6 slices
    Large flour tortillas - 6
    Salt and pepper - add to taste
    Hot pepper sauce - a dash
    Low fat butter - 1 tbsp
    Cilantro

* Beat the eggs well, and add hot pepper sauce, jalapenos salt, and pepper.
    * Melt butter in a pan on medium-high heat. Then pour in egg mixture, and cook until the eggs solidify.
    * Place a slice of cheese on each tortilla. Top with egg mixture, tomatoes, and cilantro.
    * Roll the tortilla and tuck the ends under. Bake for 10 minutes at 350.

I haven't tried either of them yet, but they def sound yummy! I think I'm going to make them this coming week. I'll let you know how they are :happy:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    The pancakes I'll have to make tomorrow! They sound so yummy. If only I liked eggs...:ohwell:
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    Those pancakes sounds soo good...I'm going to try them this weekend! Thanks!
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Lemme know what you guys think of them! I'm not going to make them until tuesday for when my family comes up :happy:
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Just doing a morning BUMP! :happy:

oh and by the way, now I know what you guys were talking about with Applebee's (I think it was this thread...unless it was the other veggie thread....but I think some of you responded on that thread too...) anyways...
    I went to applebee's last night for dinner and order a side garden salad....it came with a CRAP ton of bacon. I was like "REALLY!?" I didn't even think that a "garden salad" would have bacon on it. It didn't even cross my mind. I of course tried to get the server to take it back (which took forever) and my friends were so annoying...they kept saying "just pick them off" or "why is it such a big deal"...

I'm sure some you have dealt with this every now and then. It get so incredibly frustrating. I'm absolutely sick and tired of dealing with questions like that. No matter who it is, as long as they eat meat and I'm around, they some how always seem to make a big deal out of me being a vegetarian. Ugh. I wish everyone would just get over it. Why is it so "weird/strange" to everyone to be a vegetarian? I don't sit there and ask them "why do you eat meat?" or "what made you decide to be a carnivore?"

*frustrated*
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Just doing a morning BUMP! :happy:

oh and by the way, now I know what you guys were talking about with Applebee's (I think it was this thread...unless it was the other veggie thread....but I think some of you responded on that thread too...) anyways...
    I went to applebee's last night for dinner and order a side garden salad....it came with a CRAP ton of bacon. I was like "REALLY!?" I didn't even think that a "garden salad" would have bacon on it. It didn't even cross my mind. I of course tried to get the server to take it back (which took forever) and my friends were so annoying...they kept saying "just pick them off" or "why is it such a big deal"...

I'm sure some you have dealt with this every now and then. It get so incredibly frustrating. I'm absolutely sick and tired of dealing with questions like that. No matter who it is, as long as they eat meat and I'm around, they some how always seem to make a big deal out of me being a vegetarian. Ugh. I wish everyone would just get over it. Why is it so "weird/strange" to everyone to be a vegetarian? I don't sit there and ask them "why do you eat meat?" or "what made you decide to be a carnivore?"

*frustrated*

I just want to tell you how much I agree with you! I always feel like a weirdo, but luckily I do eat fish, so I can order something..my big problem is no dairy (LI) and everything is usually laden with butter or cheese or creamy sauces. I had such a nice waiter at the Outback the other day though. I'd ordered crab stuffed Tilapia and he came back in a few minutes and let me know that the stuffing had milk in it. What a sweetie. Seared Ahi tuna and a side of steamed veggies it was for me. Nice fat tip for the waiter. I was just with the hubs and he is *trying* his best to understand.
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    I eat fish as well (not a lot, but still some)...I still get all the questions. I just don't understand why it's such a big deal for ppl. I guess it gets to me a little more each time someone asks me. I'm to the point now where I just ignore the questions or just say "I've answered this a bajillion times already, I'd rather not talk about it".

What do you guys say when ppl ask you those silly questions over and over?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I've been getting those questions my entire life. I've never eaten beef or pork....so you can imagine what it's like to sit in the caf when you're 6 years old trying to explain that I don't want to eat cows and pigs. Of course most of the kids my age didn't realize that there was an alternitive to eating meat. I still get asked questions to this day and I alwasy resond..."I do not eat meat for the same reason that you may or may not drink/smoke/eat fattening foods...it's a choice and it's my choice but thanks for asking". It usually clears up the problem without having to get into a debate over animal welfare.