GIrl, please; are bikini pics really the best display of a "

Options

Replies

• dollienj
    Options
    If we're fat, we should be ashamed to flaunt the fat.......Its disgusting and its disgusting because of what it equates to... bad health and bad diet and lifestyle or a combination. Wearing a bikini is a privilege for those in great condition.

Society's expectations didn't come out of nowhere... they came from knowing what healthy looks like and that's not an underweight or overweight person... [/quote]

First of all, I let go of any shame I felt for myself a LONG time ago. I am not ashamed of who I am, no matter what size I've been. If -you- felt disgusting and felt like shaming yourself for your situation, that's not -my- issue. Equating someone who is overweight or underweight with being disgusting is, frankly, appalling to me. For many, it's an eating disorder - an addiction. It's a daily struggle, NOT a source of disgust.

Second, who are you to deem yourself the Fashion Police? Wearing a bikini is a PRIVILEGE? How elitist of you to say so! Society long ago celebrated full-figured women (ever look at a Boticelli painting?). "Society" doesn't belong in my closet. What one wears is a choice, simple as that. If it makes that person feel good, then guess what? Screw society, screw the haters. No one else matters.
  • mdocrn
    Options
    Good for you!! Long before I discoved this site, I was almost 300 pounds. I'm proud of my acheivement, and seeing it on MY site everyday keeps me motivated!!
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    In my opinion.. if ya got it flaunt it! If you worked hard for it.. show it off! ANYWAY YOU WANT... BIKINI, STRIPPER...WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT ;)
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I agree.... a women doe snot need to show everything she's got to show "her results"..... I think of myself as a godly women and I would not allow my daughter to parade around like that so I need to be an example too. Most (not all) of the women who do that on this site are just looking for the attention they get from the men here. I am loosing weight and feeling great, but it's for me and only my husband gets to see the "real" results..... most people will bag on this idea because they crave others attention, good or bad.....

high_horse.jpg

For a minute, I thought this was a reference to the OP stretching her profile picture vertically. Which, I totally like. Makes the cleavage look deeper...
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Love the posts that assume women only wear bikinis on here to "get attention from men". Believe it or not, not every single thing a woman does is for the benefit of men. Shocking, I know, but some women actually choose their clothes based on - gasp! - their own opinions and tastes, based entirely on their own enjoyment!

If you honestly believe women only post their bikini pics on here to get flirted with by men, then that says a lot more about YOU, I think, than it does about those women posting bikini pictures...

I agree. I own a few tasteful pictures of the figure I want to get back too their not present photos. I think being a christian myself the fact that there are christians pointing their fingers at others in judgement when they are stating that they are christians says alot and honestly it disappoints me. I too am a christian and have alot of respect for my body. However, it's not my place to judge what others do to themselves. Just a thought.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I agree.... a women doe snot need to show everything she's got to show "her results"..... I think of myself as a godly women and I would not allow my daughter to parade around like that so I need to be an example too. Most (not all) of the women who do that on this site are just looking for the attention they get from the men here. I am loosing weight and feeling great, but it's for me and only my husband gets to see the "real" results..... most people will bag on this idea because they crave others attention, good or bad.....

umm seriously..... I do not have any men on my friends list, i am 100% dedicated to my man, just because I am proud of my body and my hardwork does not mean I am trolling for other men's attention!! RUDE!!!

awww, how sweet. its true though, men are after one thing, and one thing only. and you should cover up a little more in that avatar picture of yours. i can see cleavage
  • Embell0830
    Options
    You can have body confidence without wearing revealing clothing. If you truly have confidence in how you look it will show through body language and not how much leg or cleavage you show.

At the same time if you have worked hard and reached your goals there is nothing wrong with wanting to show off your new amazing body.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    I am totally here just for the attention....just ask my friends. :flowerforyou:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    In the context of this debate the terms modesty, dignity and self-respect are all just code words meaning "the female form is dirty and shameful and needs to be covered up."

It's a fitness site. We don't discriminate against bodies here. I'm sure you can find a weight loss forum where nobody is allowed to post pictures in anything less than a full shirt and pants.

What's that? You can't? Right, because that would be ridiculous.

but brett, Levitical laws state that the "godly" women can't wear pants. pants are for menfolk.

It also says to kill anyone who eats shrimp. That's why it's a dumb old book.

Oh whatever! The thread is getting closed in 2 minutes anyway!
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like the bikini/underwear pics for before and after, because it really helps show the difference.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    In my opinion.. if ya got it flaunt it! If you worked hard for it.. show it off! ANYWAY YOU WANT... BIKINI, STRIPPER...WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT ;)

:drinker: Sing it sista!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    For those that don't want your kids strutting their stuff in skimpy clothing, don't you feel there's kind of a difference between your teenage daughter's butt hanging out at the mall and ADULTS on a FITNESS site showing off their PROGRESS? Truly curious. To me they are 2 completely different subjects.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    However; is it really confidence that leads a woman to feel she needs to display her nearly naked body for comment?

I think in some cases, yes. However, I also think in a lot of cases, it is because said woman craves attention (but not always).

I personally would never post a half clothed picture of myself. It has nothing to do with shame or embarrassment, but with modesty. I posted a "results" thread myself and was fully clothed. You could still see muscles and definition.

That said-- whatever floats your boat. Whether you're posting it because you need attention, or simply because you feel it's the best way to show your results, I don't think it's any of my business. It's just not for me, and I don't think that having my own opinion or convictions makes me a "prude."

*Edited for typo.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    bump for later. This looks too good to miss.
  • Buca412
    Buca412 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    So OP, how do you feel about the topless guy photos?

Right?! You know, it's been many, many years where I have been too embarrassed to take my shirt off at the beach, at the pool or even in my own damn backyard! The man boobs, the jiggly beer gut. This site has helped me get to a point where I feel more comfortable in my own skin and get results from my hard work...and I'm not even where I want to be yet. But it finally helped me break out of my shell. So I took that first step and posted a picture of myself without a shirt on. Why? Because I'm proud of what I have accomplished so far. And since this is also a fitness site, what better place to show my progress?

I'm actually insulted by the OP's post. :angry: Okay, not really, but you get it. :tongue: To me, she's coming across as a "Better than you" type high on her pedestal/soap box telling the rest of us how we should portray our bodies. Really?! It's not like we're all here posting explicit pics of genitals or obscene positions and gestures. Bikinis, shirtless men, etc. is something we see every day at the beach, pool, pro beach volleyball games, swim competitions, Iron Man competitions, triathlons and the like etc.

So please explain to me how this is so obscene and offensive that you feel it's your place to tell us that we should be ashamed of how we display our bodies? :huh: That's how your post is coming across to me.

Sorry. I got worked up there for a bit. :grumble: Now I'm wondering how many calories I burned with the energy it took for me to vent this. :bigsmile: :tongue:
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    if you are ashamed of who you are, at any size, it isnt weight thats the issue.

pretty simple really.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I think it interesting that the woman arguing for what I'm guessing is modesty, is wearing a low cut top to show off her cleavage. I guess I'm not sure what her point is, but it sure seems like she's showing off her goods.

This exactly !!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Please don't turn this into a religious debate

internet-memes-y-u-no-zen1.jpg
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    And the point of this thread is ?? Great you have your opinion how lovely. But don't imply those that choose to wear bikinis, skimpy shorts or whatever are somehow doing something wrong. Some of us have worked hard to get the body we want and if we choose to flaunt it because it makes us feel good then that is OUR choice to do.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people feel that it is not ok for others to have their own fashion preference that they don't agree with.
    This is the free world yall!! you can wear what ever you please :flowerforyou: