Support for the men & dads on the forum. RE; For the 30 som

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I find that my body is now very sensitive to eating large amounts of sodium. I take cheat days whenever they present themselves. For example, watched the Super Bowl last week, ate whatever was there. Went out with friends on Saturday night & ate a full order of nachos with all of the toppings by myself. I know when I do this, I'll retain water for a few days (and typically pick up 3-5 lbs on the scale) but its usually gone pretty quickly because I clean things up. I haven't "given up" any foods but now those meals are the exception and not the rule. I look at the big picture and one day here & there will not derail anything. As a matter of fact, I find my best weight loss comes in the days following the "cheat day" as my metabolism cranks up to deal with the sudden influx of calories. Your body reacts to what you put in it. If you go overboard on the cals or sodium on any given day then the results are pretty predictable. Just remember, that crappy feeling you had is a sign that your body is getting used to having good things in it. Listen to your body and make it feel good again!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    I have to go pretty far off in my eating to feel crappy. Having said that, I have read a lot of people here who have this happen, so that could be it. Usually when I go off and have a cheat day, I eat whatever. Like Dan, when I do that the extra sodium will cause water retention and a gain of about 5 pounds, sometimes more. That goes away once I start eating well in a matter of days usually. I would suggest you moderate the crap and mix in some healthy food as well when you do this.
  • escam02g
    escam02g Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey fellows,

Great thread! I ran a 10k yesterday and beat my time by seven minutes from prior year. I ran the 10k in 52 minutes and 35 seconds.... We have to push ourselves and set goals. I'm going to try a sprint triathlon this spring, just finish is my goal! Good luck all.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Hey fellows,

Great thread! I ran a 10k yesterday and beat my time by seven minutes from prior year. I ran the 10k in 52 minutes and 35 seconds.... We have to push ourselves and set goals. I'm going to try a sprint triathlon this spring, just finish is my goal! Good luck all.

Don't forget the man cave http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/907-man-cave
  • DaddyofMEA
    Options
    Welcome escam02g, I agree with setting small goals with a larger end goal in mind as well. Congrats on beating your best from last year!

Thanks Dan & Riley. I appreciate the feedback. Have you ever noticed that your HR is elevated the next day due to your sodium intake?
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Welcome escam02g, I agree with setting small goals with a larger end goal in mind as well. Congrats on beating your best from last year!

Thanks Dan & Riley. I appreciate the feedback. Have you ever noticed that your HR is elevated the next day due to your sodium intake?

I find my HR at this point is more connected with my exercise than how much sodium I eat. If you have high blood pressure, you may be extra sensitive to sodium as well which could cause that sort of effect. Usually for me high sodium means lots of water retention so I drink lots of water and try to eat some foods high in potassium.