Best alternative to bacon?

Replies

• TheMerryPup
    TheMerryPup Posts: 186 Member
    [ img ] http://flic.kr/p/9QatsJ [ /img ]
  • Venison (deer) bacon! It's the best and much fewer calories than regular bacon. It's especially good cooked on the grill. The only place you may be able to buy this though is at a true meat market and possibly not even there.
  • I use Hormel Black Label low sodium bacon and can't stand bacon any other way now. It just all tastes too salty! I love bacon and just work my way around all the negatives the rest of the day. Course I only use a strip and a half instead of two whole strips for scrabbled eggs.
  • Venison (deer) bacon! It's the best and much fewer calories than regular bacon. It's especially good cooked on the grill. The only place you may be able to buy this though is at a true meat market and possibly not even there.

The next time my husband goes hunting I will ask if this is something the processor can do! It sounds great!!
  • You should try Appplegate uncured bacon. It has a lot less sodium, no nitrates, no steriods or antibiotics that could mess with your hormones and immunse system (like Turkey does) and it's organic.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    There is no alternative. Done end of discussion :laugh:
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    So I want to try a turkey bacon this weekend or something that will make me feel somewhat like I'm having bacon and eggs... what is your favorite kind of turkey bacon or near-bacon (vegetarian)?

That's disgusting!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    I would just have the real bacon and enjoy it.

According to MFP:

Oscar Mayer Turkey bacon, 1 slice = 35 calories
    Oscar Mayer Center Cut bacon, 1 slice = 25 calories

This! ^^^^^^^^^^
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    bacon-you-had-me.gif

The next time my husband goes hunting I will ask if this is something the processor can do! It sounds great!!

They should be able to. Takes a while to get it back though. It's been three months and we're almost out from last year so I'm anxious for them to call and say it's ready.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    So I want to try a turkey bacon this weekend or something that will make me feel somewhat like I'm having bacon and eggs... what is your favorite kind of turkey bacon or near-bacon (vegetarian)?

Why? Do you not like bacon?
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    canadian bacon
    [/quote}

ditto
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    We always buy turkey bacon. If you want a "real" bacon flavor, I would choose center cut bacon as it has the lowest calories.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    best alternative is not eating bacon lol, lots of lean proteins out there:)

You, sir, are un-American.

:laugh:
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Look for uncured bacon, nitrite free, it has less additives and preservatives. I'm a big fan of Applegate Farms... and A HUGE FAN OF BACON.
  • eventsitters
    eventsitters Posts: 6 Member
    I love the Moringstart fake bacon. It's really good and does taste like real bacon minus the harm inflicted on piglets :)
  • eventsitters
    eventsitters Posts: 6 Member
    oops I mean Morningstar. I really do love Applegate when I just have to have the real thing
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    I kinda like turkey bacon but it's not BACON. I think they should have named it breakfast strips or turkey crisps. haha But if I am really wanting bacon only the pork stuff will fix the craving. :D
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    You should try Appplegate uncured bacon. It has a lot less sodium, no nitrates, no steriods or antibiotics that could mess with your hormones and immunse system (like Turkey does) and it's organic.

OMGravy! $7.00 a pound. I think this is why I haven't gone organic yet.
  • Alonnea
    Alonnea Posts: 70 Member
    If you look into it there is nothing wrong with eating regular bacon as long as you are keeping your servings where they are supposed to be.