What will you give up for Lent?

Replies

• IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Sugar. As in excess sugar. You almost can't buy food without it these days.
  • Processed sweets, candy, cookies, cakes, etc. I am hoping that by giving it up it will help me to leave it out for good! No one needs that crap!
  • Popcorn. Iknow it is not really bad for me; but I do it as a sacrifice, and it will be a huge sacrifice not to have any popcorn until Easter.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    I have decided I will be abstaining from reading the bible.
  • Sugar and electronic devices. My son wants to give up playing with his brother and homework. Go figure....
  • vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    Yeah I'm a Buddhist giving up solid foods on a Catholic-reverant holiday. Uh... pray for me?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Sloth. I'd say fast food, but it's easier to give up fast food than to work out regularly.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Instead of giving something up, I've decided this year to add something...I'm going to add effort to be more kind to others. I find it way too easy to be sarcastic and snarky (I have a 12 yr.old!), and it will be really, really hard.
  • vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    I have decided I will be abstaining from reading the bible.

Hahahaha, you *kitten*...
  • Candy and soda probably
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    The last time I gave up something for lent, I gave up "crap", such as sweets, chocolate and biscuits. This year I am considering giving up, giving up! I will not give up tonining up my body and getting down to my desired weight. Make sense? ;)

I love this! I was trying to figure out wht to do this year while reading this post. I'm going to give up excuses.
    Thanks for the inspiration!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    I think i'm going to give up religion for lent.....i can do 40 days without it
  • jnance82
    jnance82 Posts: 149
    I've finally decided after reading everyone else's posts that I am going to give up candy and cakes (including cupcakes). I LOVE ice cream, but I realized since starting MFP I haven't had any in months so that won't be a true sacrifice. I'm debating whether I should include my Fiber One brownies under the cake catagory. Thoughts????

10502719.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • I usually give up pop, but lately I haven't been drinking very much so it wouldn't be very much of a sacrafice.

I am liking the cheese idea though ... I might have to try that!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    I think "giving up" puts a negative spin on lent. I try to add something during lent. Like wishing 3 people good morning every day. That way it's positive.

I am not catholic, nor have i ever been, but i thought you were supposed to give up something for baby jesus that you do often so everytime you wanted to do it, it reminded you of him.....or god.....or the devil.....or mary magdeline? I dunno, but I always heard it was you were supposed to give up something
  • Saxmis
    Saxmis Posts: 84
    I'm also going to give up all take-out and fast food. On the occasions where I do binge, these tend to be what I choose. They're officially going to be out from and during Lent and hopefully for a long time, except maybe a one off treat from them on.

On the other hand, I may have a take-out tonight as a last supper =D
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    coffee
    difficult one watch out for withdrawal headaches

Agreed--Mostly decaff these days tho'--mostly a habit now.

After givin up smokes--it's all easier
  • Saxmis
    Saxmis Posts: 84
    I'm also going to give up all take-out and fast food. On the occasions where I do binge, these tend to be what I choose. They're officially going to be out from and during Lent and hopefully for a long time, except maybe a one off treat from them on.

On the other hand, I may have a take-out tonight as a last supper =D

Actually, I refuse to ruin the progress that I've made today, so I won't!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Not a thing.
  • I have already warned the family that the Girl Scout cookies will be gone come Wednesday. (I hide the unopened boxes at work and bring them home for Easter) I usually cut down on all the extra sweets and unhealthy snacks and stick to modest meals. I keep a plate with long rail road spikes on the dinner table to remind ourselves about the season. I do not allow myself any pain meds for sore muscles or headaches during this time either. It keeps me humble since I get occasional migraines. This is a good time to reflect on the blessings we have and take for granted. May all who practice this long time tradition be set more firmly in their faith.