Government recognizing Gay and Lesbian

Options

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Same sex marriage is too controversial to discuss here. Can we move on to something non-controversial that never gets discussed like "should I eat back my exercise calories" or "are all calories the same"?
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    They should legalize same sex marriage, it would boost the economy, and imagine how much more money states would get for the marriage license and the divorce paper filings?
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Same sex marriage is too controversial to discuss here. Can we move on to something non-controversial that never gets discussed like "should I eat back my exercise calories" or "are all calories the same"?

hahahaahahahha EXACTLY! As Dionne Warwick sang...walk on byyyyyy!
  • sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Cool Im gonna marry my dogs so my insurance will pay for their vet bills, Those Vet bills get pricey

dont laugh , i already know someone who puts his 3 dogs as babies and claims for it
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Who's going to take care of his dogs when he's in jail for insurance fraud?
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    *bump*
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Cool Im gonna marry my dogs so my insurance will pay for their vet bills, Those Vet bills get pricey

dont laugh , i already know someone who puts his 3 dogs as babies and claims for it

Illegal much.
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    One thing I find humorous is that many of the same sex marriage proponents make sure to be clear that they are not gay themselves. Is is a common assumption that supporting gay rights means you're gay?

Heck, I support the right to marry a corporation, I mean they are people too...........................................and no I'm not being polemical.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    According to the Supreme Court's decision in Lovings V Virginia, Turner V Safly and Redhail V Zablocki, marriage is a fundamental right that should be given to all citizens. And, in the 14th Amendment, it states "...No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges ... or citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law..."

Honestly, I'm shocked that they have gotten away with denying homosexual people the right to marry for so long.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    And, I saw that somebody brought this up; no, you cannot marry an animal or a child. Animals and children have no legal standing which is required to get married. Those who do try to marry children will not get it recognized by the state, so they won't have the same rights as a married couple. Keep in mind, though, the age of consent varies from state to state. In one state, you might be able to get married at 16 while you might have to wait until 18 in another.
  • BigL0s
    BigL0s Posts: 133
    Options
    This is too controversial to discuss on here. Personally, I don't agree with it, I had a gay friend who feels the exact same way. But, its up to the government to decide, they can do whatever they want, like they always have.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I am really just in a state of confusion. I am a straight male. I personally am not remotely interested in being with another man, EVER period. I do like that for myself and cannot understand why people of the same sex would want to be with each-other, however I believe in personal choice. As long as it is not hurting other people I have no issue with it. With that being said, why would/should the Government recognize gay and lesbian marriage? I personally think the Government has ZERO rights to ANY marriage straight or gay. So please enlighten me.

Because the government already recognizes straite married and equality is a good thing,everyone should have the right to marry the person they love
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I love how religous folks pick and choose what they want to follow from the bible

Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat, nor about your body, what you shall put on.... Sell your possessions, and give alms. (Luke 12:22-33)

One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute it to the poor ...(Luke 18:22)

I dont see to many running around selling all they have

But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of every woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.... any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head ...For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair ...For a man ought not to cover his head; since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. (For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.) 1 Corinthians 11:2-10

hmmmm i dont see this happening to much either. where ARE the good christians putting a stop to women praying without a veil?

i have yet to see any webpages dedicated to stopping women from speaking in church yet either

...the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church. (1 Corinthians 14:34-35)

so please stop using bible passages as a platform for barley disguised hatred & bigotry
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    According to the Supreme Court's decision in Lovings V Virginia, Turner V Safly and Redhail V Zablocki, marriage is a fundamental right that should be given to all citizens. And, in the 14th Amendment, it states "...No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges ... or citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law..."

Honestly, I'm shocked that they have gotten away with denying homosexual people the right to marry for so long.

Current legal theory holds that the 14th amendment grants all privileges at the state level to those enjoyed by anyone at the federal level. Therefore the right to free speech or bear arms can't be curtailed by a state assembly anymore than Congress. However it is generally held that this amendment says these rights can't be denied based on race or ethnicity. Sex or age arte not generally applicable. Therefore you can not make race specific laws but you can make age or sex specific ones. This was the idea behind the Equal Rights Amendment in the 70s to make laws based on sex and gender illegal as well. If it was passed you couldn't have different marriage laws for men and women. However since it didn't technically it is Constitutional to prohibit same sex marriage.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    One more point to post before I get tarred and feathered, just because your religion says that it's wrong for two people of the same gender to get married doesn't really mean anything. Your religion prohibits it, then don't do it. There are so many people with different religions that you cannot declare that one is right and another is wrong. I'm a firm believer in Separation of Church and State, as a political junkie to keep religion out of my government, and as a Christian to keep the government out of my religion.
  • mmgomez28
    mmgomez28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is too controversial to discuss on here. Personally, I don't agree with it, I had a gay friend who feels the exact same way. But, its up to the government to decide, they can do whatever they want, like they always have.

I don't think it's "too controversial" to discuss. As adults we can have discussions and be civil with one another in any forum. It's a subject that NEEDS to be spoken about. I mean, we are talking about fellow citizens who pay taxes, contribute to the economy and are our neighbors and their rights are not being recognized because they love a person of their same sex.

So you had a homosexual friend who did not agree with being able to marry the person he's in love with and make their own family together? Hmm, I would love to hear why he didn't believe in it.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options

Current legal theory holds that the 14th amendment grants all privileges at the state level to those enjoyed by anyone at the federal level. Therefore the right to free speech or bear arms can't be curtailed by a state assembly anymore than Congress. However it is generally held that this amendment says these rights can't be denied based on race or ethnicity. Sex or age arte not generally applicable. Therefore you can not make race specific laws but you can make age or sex specific ones. This was the idea behind the Equal Rights Amendment in the 70s to make laws based on sex and gender illegal as well. If it was passed you couldn't have different marriage laws for men and women. However since it didn't technically it is Constitutional to prohibit same sex marriage.

It does prohibit Congress from taking away rights that are considered fundamental. And legal theory will always be changing. It depends if you interpret the Constitution strictly or loosely. But, I gave rulings and a direct quote from the 14th Amendment. And not all of the cases were based on race. Lovings was. Turner was for people in jail to get married and Redhail allowed people who were behind on their child support payments get married.

ETA: if criminals can get married, why can't homosexual people? Lawrence V Texas reversed Sodomy laws, so gay people are not criminals. Huh, maybe if they were, they would get more rights... Quite a cynical view, I know.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    When people say that allowing Gays to marry will ruin the sanctity of marriage.. I believe they are actually talking about the word marriage, not the relationship between two people without even knowing it.

What other word out there is so sanctified as marriage?

MOTHER? Even the crack *kitten* down the street can be one of those, hell even the gay crack *kitten* down the street can be a PARENT - so those words are out!

PRIEST? Nah, I'm not even going to touch that one... but that word is out too.

Straight people have disrespected the word marriage straight into an over 50% divorce rate, I say Homosexuals should be able to marry simply because they are humans but also because it could raise our average.

As a mother, if my children were fighting over something like this, I'd take it away from both of them.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    When people say that allowing Gays to marry will ruin the sanctity of marriage.. I believe they are actually talking about the word marriage, not the relationship between two people without even knowing it.

What other word out there is so sanctified as marriage?

MOTHER? Even the crack *kitten* down the street can be one of those, hell even the gay crack *kitten* down the street can be a PARENT - so those words are out!

PRIEST? Nah, I'm not even going to touch that one... but that word is out too.

Straight people have disrespected the word marriage straight into an over 50% divorce rate, I say Homosexuals should be able to marry simply because they are humans but also because it could raise our average.

As a mother, if my children were fighting over something like this, I'd take it away from both of them.

You can get married in a drive through in Vegas. I say anything that is as easy as getting a Big Mac has no sanctity.
  • BigL0s
    BigL0s Posts: 133
    Options

I don't think it's "too controversial" to discuss. As adults we can have discussions and be civil with one another in any forum. It's a subject that NEEDS to be spoken about. I mean, we are talking about fellow citizens who pay taxes, contribute to the economy and are our neighbors and their rights are not being recognized because they love a person of their same sex.

So you had a homosexual friend who did not agree with being able to marry the person he's in love with and make their own family together? Hmm, I would love to hear why he didn't believe in it.

Well, I understand its fine to discuss it, but sometimes thing's arent very civil you know? I'm all for it, long as nobody disses someone else's opinion whether they are for it or against. I personally grew up thinking it was wrong, not necessarily cause I was fed that by my family, I did study the bible when I was younger so that probably led me to it. As far as my friend, he mentioned this to me and a few others when we were hanging out like a year ago. We're merely acquaintances now, but when he said it, he basically said what would happen to traditional families? How most children had both a mother and father. That could be negatively impacted. And he said this could be reason for others to suggest a push for polygamy or things like that.

I agree with both his points, I'm not sure if his opinion has changed now, but he brought up good points.