Government recognizing Gay and Lesbian

Options

Replies

• Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

you have no understanding of the Bible. Please get educated before you make yourself look even more foolish.

You do realize that God created women to be mans companion.

Its this sort of nonsense that makes me despise religion.

You do realise that man evolved from apes?
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

you have no understanding of the Bible. Please get educated before you make yourself look even more foolish.

Before this thread finally gets locked, I just want to say man did not evolve from apes. Apes produce apes. Humans produce humans.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options

Before this thread finally gets locked, I just want to say man did not evolve from apes. Apes produce apes. Humans produce humans.
    man evolved from a common ancestor though. although categorization is ultimately somewhat arbitrary, at some point creatures that scientists don't consider quite homosapiens did give birth to creatures that we call homo sapiens.
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    Actually as per phylogenetics man IS an ape.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: All I know is I my ancestry goes all the way back to a man and woman that was created 100% human by God.
  • hexrei
    Options
    Actually as per phylogenetics man IS an ape.

There are a lot of senses for "ape", and in one sense you are correct (but in a very real biological sense I was also not incorrect). My point was simply that today's non-human apes are not actually ancestors of humans, they are offshoots of a shared ancestry.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read through 13 pages of this **** because I'm sure it's riddled with a lot of theological garbage.

The fact of the matter is we don't live in a country that has a state religion. As many conservatives love to say: If you don't like it, leave it.

Use your brains; use the cost-benefit analysis. There's no *real* negative side-effects to allowing gays to have equal rights. Just like bigots of the 60's had to get over the fact that other races had to be treated equally, the bigots of our time need to get over the fact that gays will be treated equally.

I'm not going to go into Evolution because that's a whole other 'debate.' (I use that word lightly when it comes to arguing with theists).
  • hexrei
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: All I know is I my ancestry goes all the way back to a man and woman that was created 100% human by God.

The Genesis myth is interesting, but then again so are many cultures' creation myths. I think Greek mythology is the most compelling, what with gods popping out of heads and everything, but making someone out of a rib is a good one too, I like the talking serpent and magic tree part a lot.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

I don't think your sky fairy cares if two guys bang.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Okay how about this;

The reason there are so many weird things described in the bible is because the aliens put us here as a hybrid and over time when the aliens came back to do more genetic engineering, people did not know how to describe what they saw so it ended up being people with wings, talking snakes, flying horse drawn carts/chariots, flying bird cages, people climbing ladders into the clouds... etc. They didn't know enough to see there are beings with jet paks (angels), UFOs, etc. coming and going from our earth.

Did you really think the pyramids were built by people rolling stones on top of logs???
  • iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    Options
    Wow. Are we really having an in-depth conversation about the specific "terms" in which to call a marriage between two people? Who in the HELL cares what it is called? I certainly don't care. The bottom line is this : No one has ANY right to tell me, a lesbian, that I cannot become ONE with my partner. No one has ANY right to deny me visitation to MY partner should the unthinkable occur... AND no one has ANY right to tell my partner that should I die tomorrow she cannot have my Social Security/pension or whatnot. The government is a joke. It's one big p*ssing contest to show off and dominate others. As far as I am concerned I am doing the planet a favor by not reproducing. This young soul planet makes me sick inside. I look forward to the day when the vast majority evolves and catches up with the rest of us.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I
    christians did not invent marriage

Even before the term marriage was coined, it was still man & woman tied together in a ceremony, then the word marriage was applied to that.
    This is absolutely not true at all. All societies, long before Christianity came around, celebrated and condoned marriage, both heterosexual and homosexual. It was considered perfectly normal and acceptable, thousands of years ago.
    Thousands of years ago...there were Christians. Marriage is only Marriage because the Bible says so.

And before there were Christians, there were thousands of years of Greeks and Romans and Hittites and Egyptians and Jews and Muslims and Hindus and Carthaginians and Trojans and..... all of whom had institutions of Marriage of varying shapes and forms. Do think about what you're saying before you assert something so completely facile and absurd. Marriage is not a Christian (or even Biblical, which is not the same) invention. Christianity is a comparatively young religion, and people have been marrying for love, for money, for power, for political alliance for millennia before the advent of Christ.
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

but that isnt strictly true. there are many small mutations happening all the time. its why antibiotics stop working on infections after a while. its because small mutations cause the bacteria to evolve a resistance to the drugs. Evolution is a natural thing and its been happening for millions of years, to simply stay apes produce apes humans produce humans is so wide of the mark. If you believe that God made Adam and Eve, literally, a few thousand years ago, and that all humans are descendants, then thats absolutely fine. Science has proven this to be incorrect though.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Why are people bringing up religion?

Marriage has NOTHING to do with religion.

Not in the UK anyway... thank goodness!
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

I don't think your sky fairy cares if two guys bang.
    Haha...yes!! LOVE THIS!!
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    ARGH!!! So many people go on about how 'Marriage is religious'

For some, yes it is. But does this mean that those of us, who think religion is an absolute joke, should not be allowed to marry? HELL NO! (Btw. This shouldn't even be in this thread. This topic is about the government approving gay marriages.. Not churches approving them. Just FYI :wink: )

Marriage is about love. :heart:

And my gay friends have just as much right to express their love as I, and other heterosexuals do. Why should anyone have the right to judge them, or prevent this from happening?

SHARE THE LOVE! And bring on gay marriages! :heart:

(And once you guys get it all sorted over there in the US, tell the Oz government to catch up too!)
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Marriage is not religious unless the couple decides that it is - not when some other religious person decides that it is.
    That's why there is CIVIL marriage VS the SACRAMENT of marriage.

I can not stand when the religious try to use their Bible verses and doctrine to apply to ALL (my way or the highway mentality) when clearly not all are Christians and not all follow the Bible... and I am religious, but I would never force my beliefs upon anyone. I respect others beliefs, not just my own.

If a man marries a woman...
    or a man marries a man...
    or a woman a woman...

It has no affect on me, it's not diminishing my rights, infringing upon my benefits, or affecting me in any way so why would I care one way or the other? And why does everyone else? My state allows gay marriage and guess what? My life has not changed except for that maybe I'll get an invitation in to a "gay" wedding. Life is good :happy:
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    With any luck, Abbie, you'll get there before us.
    In February 2012 two bills to allow gay marriage in Australia were introduced in Parliament. The bills are essentially the same, lifting the current ban on same-sex marriages while letting religious ministers refuse to solemnize ceremonies inconsistent with their beliefs. No timetable has yet been set for a vote on either bill that would lift the current ban.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recognition_of_same-sex_unions_in_Australia#Same_Sex_marriage_not_permitted_under_Australian_federal_law

A national bill is a pipe dream in the US. The most we can hope for is continued progress in progressive states and repeal of the bill that says the federal government won't recognize any same-sex marriages the states do perform (DOMA).
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Speaking of DOMA.
    DOMA's Federal Definition of Marriage Unconstitutional, Judge Rules in Golinski Case
    Posted by Chris Geidner |
    February 22, 2012 5:35 PM |

Today, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California issued its order finding that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act -- the federal definition of marriage -- is unconstitutional in Golinski v. Office of Personnel Management, Karen Golinski's challenge to the denial of her request for equal health insurance benefits for her wife. . . .

http://www.metroweekly.com/poliglot/2012/02/domas-federal-definition-of-ma.html