Dr. Phil - Open Marriage

Options

Replies

• Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm in an open relationship, and it works for me.

We have rules, we have boundaries, and we have limits. We've both been in a sexually stifling relationship before, and it caused the downfall of said relationships. We are determined not to do the same thing again.

So yes, we can be with other people, but the rules are that there can be no emotional attachment to the other people. Love, affection, confiding, and comfort are with each other. Sex can be with other people.

Sex with all parties involved is allowed as well.

Basically it all comes down to this: as long as EVERYONE agrees with and truly is OK with the situation, it can work. Otherwise, it won't.

Jealousy has no place in a relationship. I am confidant that I have everything my partner needs from an emotional and sexual perspective.

With that being said... sometimes you like to mix it up. I give her the freedom to do so, as she does for me.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    almost every Open Marriage ends up with divorce or a tragic occurrence :yawn:

Do you have statistics to base this on? I feel as if you're just talking out of your rear.
  • Princessbrene
    Princessbrene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I need to stop reading posts like this one. It always makes me deeply sad that so many people are "ok with" or think it's "fine if it works for them". There seems to be no higher standard for anyone as long as people are "happy". There's more to life than being happy, and in my opinion, it cheapens the human experience to spend all of life only seeking after happiness.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

Do you have statistics to base this on? I feel as if you're just talking out of your rear.
    Facts pfft.

If it is on the internet it is the truth - Abe Lincoln.
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Think about law of averages. You only hear about the ones that fail...not the ones that succeed.

Was thinking the same thing as I have not seen tragedy or divorce with my friends in these types of relationships.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

Facts pfft.

If it is on the internet it is the truth - Abe Lincoln.

Good ole Abe and his internet quotes.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    If this couple insists on hiding their open marriage from their children, isn't that a clue that they think there's something wrong with it?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I think something's broken inside you if you can't commit completely to one person and have that be enough. Either you're with the wrong person or you have insecurities that you have to fill with promiscuity and outside attention.

Give me a happy, peaceful home with the person I love, someday maybe kids, my rescued doggies, and I will be happy.

I do want a bigger kitchen though. :/

So you're telling me that there is no one in the world you'd like to bang? Let's be realistic here, sure it's not for everyone but you can't say people are "broken" for having a different relationship than yours.

Yep I can, cuz that's my opinion. Lots of people have personality flaws that make them desperate and seek all the attention they can from other people, nothing is never enough for them. If you can find two people like that, you have an open relationship. It's basically telling someone 'Sorry, you're cool and all, but you're not enough for me'.

The person I love who is fulfilling in all aspects of our relationship. He's my best friend and I want not for another. Even if I did lust for someone else (say, if the relationship got boring, which it inevitably does at times), I would have more respect for him and more dignity for myself than to go running my vajayjay all over town. And I would work with him to find ways to make our relationship more interesting. Because that's what couples do, and in the long run, it makes you stronger.

:drinker: Happy Friday! :drinker:
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    Think about law of averages. You only hear about the ones that fail...not the ones that succeed.

Was thinking the same thing as I have not seen tragedy or divorce with my friends in these types of relationships.
    And seeing the level of judgement I see here, it is fully understandable if people keep it to themselves.
  • Maridelsol82
    Options
    As an HIV Test counselor my only recommendation would to use condoms. Otherwise if they have good communication about everything then go right ahead.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    If this couple insists on hiding their open marriage from their children, isn't that a clue that they think there's something wrong with it?

From reading more comments they don't hide it. And if it were me, I wouldn't be throwing it in my childrens' faces regardless of what I thought of the situation. "Oh hey, Johnny... I'm just going to go out and bang someone other than your father." How would you even have that conversation?
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I need to stop reading posts like this one. It always makes me deeply sad that so many people are "ok with" or think it's "fine if it works for them". There seems to be no higher standard for anyone as long as people are "happy". There's more to life than being happy, and in my opinion, it cheapens the human experience to spend all of life only seeking after happiness.

Should we spend our lives being miserable? Because I know that's what I was for YEARS in my previous relationship. Should I have stuck it out because there is "more to life"?

Your logic is flawed. If you do what makes you happy, and what makes the people you love happy (while within the laws of our communities) than thats what it's all about.
  • ljmccune
    ljmccune Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    And people wonder why marriage is in such a state disrepair!?
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    What ever works for the couple is the main thing, as long as all parties involved are aware. Been around the block enough times to know both types of marriages can work and both types can be a disaster, depends on the people. Currently - quite happy in my marriage, one man, one woman.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    I think something's broken inside you if you can't commit completely to one person and have that be enough. Either you're with the wrong person or you have insecurities that you have to fill with promiscuity and outside attention.

Give me a happy, peaceful home with the person I love, someday maybe kids, my rescued doggies, and I will be happy.

I do want a bigger kitchen though. :/

So you're telling me that there is no one in the world you'd like to bang? Let's be realistic here, sure it's not for everyone but you can't say people are "broken" for having a different relationship than yours.

Yep I can, cuz that's my opinion. Lots of people have personality flaws that make them desperate and seek all the attention they can from other people, nothing is never enough for them. If you can find two people like that, you have an open relationship. It's basically telling someone 'Sorry, you're cool and all, but you're not enough for me'.

The person I love who is fulfilling in all aspects of our relationship. He's my best friend and I want not for another. Even if I did lust for someone else (say, if the relationship got boring, which it inevitably does at times), I would have more respect for him and more dignity for myself than to go running my vajayjay all over town. And I would work with him to find ways to make our relationship more interesting. Because that's what couples do, and in the long run, it makes you stronger.

:drinker: Happy Friday! :drinker:

I love narrow minded people. You need to understand, and Avalonis said it perfectly, it is not that there is something LACKING in the relationship. Maybe you should read his comment.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If your relationship is about nothing but the sexual aspect then go for it, I honestly don't see how 2 people could "love" each other enough to marry them and then go off and have sex with another, do they "love" them too, or is it purely for enjoyment!?
  • _binary_jester_
    Options

Should we spend our lives being miserable? Because I know that's what I was for YEARS in my previous relationship. Should I have stuck it out because there is "more to life"?

Your logic is flawed. If you do what makes you happy, and what makes the people you love happy (while within the laws of our communities) than thats what it's all about.
    You are unhappy bub. You just don't know it.
  • becca3211
    becca3211 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    the whole show made me sick. espcially the dumb B.... that wouldnt shut up! :noway:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

Do most people's children know the intimate details of their parent's monogamous sex life?
    Does that mean most people think there's something wrong with monogamy?
  • MamaJilldo
    MamaJilldo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Whats the point of being married then? If you choose to be with someone else or have multiple partners, don't get married.