Community for CrossFitters, by Crossfitters & anyone interes

Replies

• zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    pull ups - we have quite a few different ways of getting to a pull up. lots of scaling options!! and it depends on the day which one we are allowed to do lol cus i still cant do them without jumping up lol..
    - jumping up from a box
    - partner supporting the legs
    - bands
    - kipping pullups
    all work slightly different ways and use different muscles which is why we mix it up a little :D
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Crossfit is very expensive and totally NOT worth the extra money!

You could belong to the YMCA or most other gum franchises for about 1/3 of what Crossfit costs.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Oh - workout.

4 400 meter sprints. Rest two minutes between each.
    1:47, 1:53, 1:50, 1:45

A partner workout involving back squat. I did 'beginner' level, and used 30% of my body weight (45lbs). Seems a good scaling since my max is 155lbs. For ten minutes you and your partner took turns doing squats, 30 sec on, 30 sec off without dropping the bar. Total squats: 145

Grace: 30 clean and jerks
    This was my first time doing this workout. I went with 65lbs (max is 95lbs+). I actually may have paced myself TOO much, but whenever I try a new benchmark, I tend to air on the side of too slow/too light a weight than the opposite.
    Time: 5:35
    This felt good. Form was super solid! I think my max is actually much more than 95lbs, and I think I could have done this comfortably at 75lbs. There's always next time :)
  • zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    GPP this morning :- as usual 2 times round the circuit, first time around 2min on a station second time only 1 min.

1. tyre flip
    2. handstand hold
    3. handstand walk or forward rolls
    4. 15 ring dips and 15 pressups repeat..
    5. monkey bars - this was AWESOME go up on the pull up bars and your not allowed to put your feet on the floor until the end of time keep moving!!
    6. rower
    7. lunges with kb in one hand in the air.
    8. burpies then snatch and press first with 2 10kg dumbells and then with 2 8kg..
    9. 400 m run (1) then 200m run (2)
    10. dragon walk - feet in a metal weight and dragging it behind you.
  • mmcperez
    mmcperez Posts: 72 Member
    Did HELEN on Feb 16 for the first time. Been doing CF for 7 months now.

3 Rounds for time
    400m run
    21 1.5 pood Kettlebell swings
    12 Pull-ups

13:51

Such a badass WOD and Rx'd it.
  • While I was at work the other night I took a stack of index cards and searched other boxes websites for WODS. If I found some that I liked I wrote them on the card ... COMPLETELY FREE!! I'm stoked to use them and get some great crossfit WODs done.

=)
  • thecrossfitter
    Did HELEN on Feb 16 for the first time. Been doing CF for 7 months now.

3 Rounds for time
    400m run
    21 1.5 pood Kettlebell swings
    12 Pull-ups

13:51

Such a badass WOD and Rx'd it.

Congrats! Rx'ed, huh? Look at you and your fancy 1.5 pood kettlebell! I have yet to graduate to even one pood, but I'm doing well with my 25lbs-er. It will come in time :) Any time sprints are written into the WOD it makes everything that much more challenging. Strong work!
  • 500m row then 10, 20, 30 of Box Jumps, Dead Lifts (95#), and ab mat sit ups.

15:16 (stopped to fix my ipod part way through)

Maybe had I warmed up I would've shaved some time off but it was open gym and I wasn't worried.
  • thecrossfitter
    Nice work snkeller! I LOVE box jumps. I'm just starting to really learn a good rhythm for them and they are really clicking. My speed is slowly increasing, but man you gotta respect those box jumps!

Sunday = rest day. I'm feeling great. I can really feel those 145 back squats from Saturday! In the good way, nothing bad. It's like after a long run; I love feeling my hard work :) I thought I'd take this rest day and do some reflections and then look forward a bit.

Update on my 2012 Goals:
    - Back squat my body weight.
    Check! Current back squat: 155lbs. Body weight: 145lbs. Hoozah! I'm doing one more cycle of Wendler on this. I think I can hit 165-170 judging by how it's going!
    - Compete in an inner gym crossfit competition. I don't plan to be able to do this until the end of the year
    Check! I did the Garage Games last weekend and finished second place overall in my division!
    - Eat 95% paleo for the entire year
    Going strong!!
    - Run a half marathon in 2:15:00. This is a pace of a 10:17 mile.
    Half training officially begins February 27th. My mile time is down to 7:23. I think this goal is totally attainable!
    - Deadlift 150% of my bodyweight (217lbs)
    I'm at 190lbs. I started my first cycle of Wendler on this and got 20 reps at 85% of my working max (145lbs). I think I'm close to this!
    - Complete my second full marathon running the entire way through.
    - Complete 10 consecutives unassisted pull ups
    - Complete a handstand push up against the wall
    - Specifically work on muscle ups

Games training group is a blast. I've gotten in good work on my handstands, muscle ups and rope climbs.

Looking Ahead
    Our box is sending 11 teams to the Chicago Indoor Rowing Championship on the 25th! It's a charity fundraiser for adaptive athletes and wounded warriors. This should be so much fun! I'm not crazy about indoor rowing, but I figured that if it was for charity I'd give it a go.
  • Todays WOD was 30 second sets - 3 chin ups and then back squats. You were SUPPOSED to get to 100. I did RX'd weight (55#) but had to use a band for my chin ups. I only made it to 35 reps (one of the last ones finished) ... I guess I should've just used a girls bar (30#) to make the 100 ... but I don't feel that I would've worked hard enough?

Our skill was back squats ... I think I need to do my Crossfit Total again because my sets were EASY.

How often do you do check your own total?

Goals that I have are to be able to do 3-5 pull ups (kipping/strict/butterfly whichever)
    Increase my weights all around
    Increase speed/quickness (hardest thing for me, I'm not a sprinter)
  • missyjmet
    missyjmet Posts: 46 Member
    I am a physical therapist AND I do Crossfit. I think you can get a great workout with Crossfit, you just have to listen to your body. You can always modify all the exercises until you can perform them safely without risk of injury.
  • thecrossfitter
    How often do you do check your own total?
    We did our total right before we started Wendler (November), and then added 5lbs to our total (for calculation purposes) for the press and 10lbs for the squat. (Calculations were made off your 'working max' which is 90% of you actual max, and then we would lift at 85% 90% and 95% so this was safe in terms of moving up.) The majority of us actually made greater increases than this, so we retested again at the end of January/beginning of February. I've only been crossfitting for six months, so that's really all I got! (The only other time I had done total before this was in September.
  • thecrossfitter
    Today's work and WOD:

A. Sumo Deadlift. Find a heavy 3.
    I hit 185lbs and it felt really good, but at this point I ran out of time so didn't get to max out.

B. Spend 8 minutes working on form the moves used in the WOD. We used the following complex in the WOD and broke down each movement in the cycle:
    1 -Arm Russian KB Swing 55/35lbs
    1 -Arm KB Snatch 55/35lbs
    1 -Arm KB Windmill 55/35lbs
    1 -Arm KB Front Squat 55/35lbs
    1 -Arm KB Push Press 55/35lbs

I scaled down to 20lbs

C. WOD: 4 rounds. Each round is 3 minutes. Rest 90 sec between rounds. Do as many rounds as possible of this complex listed above, alternating right and left hand. ONE cycle = completing complex with right and left hand
    Coaches note on site and board and verbal:
    *Focus on quality of movement and tight form throughout each time trial

I got 6 for all all four rounds (24 cycles total)

Bonus:
    Max hold plank: 2:20
    I may have wussed out on this one.... (sheepishly walks away)

Feelin' great! Good work today, all!

Also - I registered for the open tonight!
  • thecrossfitter
    Morning Session
    A1) Sets of 5 thrusters
    A2) 5 sets of 20 strict toes to bar
    (To be in conjunction with thrusters)

I only worked up to 65lbs on thrusters (poor planning), but I really got to focus on the t2b. I feel like for the first time they are finally really starting to click and I'm becoming much more controlled with them.

B.) 2 Rounds, 3 minutes rest between
    -Row 500 meters
    -20 pull ups (used small band)
    -30 push up
    -40 abmat sit ups
    -50 air squat
    Times: 7:28, 7:52

Back it at tonight after work for the games training group skill work and WOD! Now I'm off to go foam roll :)

Enjoy your workouts today, my friends!
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Did Angie last night and my quads are crying now!!! It's a good sore though... :wink:

100 Pull Ups
    100 Push ups
    100 SQUATS
    100 sit ups for time!!!

25:50
  • Did Angie last night and my quads are crying now!!! It's a good sore though... :wink:

100 Pull Ups
    100 Push ups
    100 SQUATS
    100 sit ups for time!!!

25:50

By far one of my favorite work outs! Great time Lisa!
  • LisaCFSF
    :smile:
  • Skillwork - Muscle Ups ... some day I'll join the club!

5 RFT
    200M Run
    20 pullups
    200M Run
    20 push ups
    200M Run
    20 Sit Ups
    200M Run
    20 Squats

Killer! Love the body weight longer WODS. Took me 52:19. I'm glad it was still warm out (for PA in Feb) that it wasn't miserable.

Open Gym on Sunday ... will look through my stack of index card WODs to find something to do. I want to work on my Cleans as skill work
  • LisaCFSF
    *Modified 2* shoulder surgeries:

50 knees to elbows* for toes to bar
    800 meter run
    50 push ups off the ball* for 25 hand stand push ups X 2 (no push press)
    250 single jump ropes for 150 double unders

How do you guys log your CrossFit workouts on MFP, individual exs???
  • bargb
    bargb Posts: 4
    I start on Monday. I am very excited!!!