Options

Replies

• Blondie1913
    Options
    Great! I'm going to try this....thanks Joe
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    okay using this miffin equation I got 1690.97 . Is this my TDEE or my BMR? Sorry , I'm so confused. MFP has me on 1360 calories a day atm.
    I should know this, but I don't remember. What are some of the best equations for estimating TDEE w/ a body fit media?

Nothing is 100% but these formulas are some of the more popular ones used:

Miffin-St.Jeor:
    MEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5
    WOMEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161

Katch-McArdle: (requires you to know your bodyfat%)
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump
  • clearly_ninja
    clearly_ninja Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I used one of the calculators posted on the front page. It figured out that at 4'11" and 127lbs with a waist of 35 inches gives me 45.7% body fat. And being 23 and a female the calculator worked out for me using mccardle formula that I have a bmr of 1067 and a TDEE of 1256.

Which is the same as what mfp worked out for me. It tells me to eat 1508 on workout days but thats just the same as eating back my exercise calories on here and would still work out at about 1200 net.

I seem to get the same results on every website I try and as much as I
  • clearly_ninja
    Options
    want to up my calories I've not seen any evidence yet that tells me I should :/

Maybe with my statistics you guys can see something i'm obviousy missing?

x

Great thread btw, but you can see how it can frustrate some of us newbies.
  • Mary1757
    Mary1757 Posts: 13
    Options
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are back joe! :D

This is exactly what I follow. No special diet, no crazy pills, no strict plan. I eat candy, carbs, fat, salt, and live :D

Not to totally hijack the original post because I think it's awesome, but Sunshine, your abs are also AWESOME!! Wow! :drinker:
    Where's the "high five" smiley when I need one? Oh well, this will have to do: :flowerforyou:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I used one of the calculators posted on the front page. It figured out that at 4'11" and 127lbs with a waist of 35 inches gives me 45.7% body fat. And being 23 and a female the calculator worked out for me using mccardle formula that I have a bmr of 1067 and a TDEE of 1256.

Which is the same as what mfp worked out for me. It tells me to eat 1508 on workout days but thats just the same as eating back my exercise calories on here and would still work out at about 1200 net.

I seem to get the same results on every website I try and as much as I

Aw...I wish I could help but I don't know enough about how this all works even for myself, much less someone else with a very different body composition (I'm 5'8!) But I would recommend getting your body fat percentage calculated through skin fold calipers by a professional, rather than using an online calculator or the little handheld machine, my experience has been that calipers are much more accurate.
  • alrv
    alrv Posts: 6
    Options
    Bump
  • clearly_ninja
    Options
    Getting callipers done is on my to do list eventually but until then i'm just going off estimateds 45% seems fairly accurate though, I am very wobbly all over. :/
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Love this! So true! Thank you
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I should know this, but I don't remember. What are some of the best equations for estimating TDEE w/ a body fit media?

Nothing is 100% but these formulas are some of the more popular ones used:

Miffin-St.Jeor:
    MEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5
    WOMEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161

Katch-McArdle: (requires you to know your bodyfat%)
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

Those of us who do have BMF's are finding this calculator to be quite close to what the BMF gives us.

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    bump for reading later:smile: .
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I vote this to be a must read sticky
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    and by the way - on most days that I don't work out (I work at a desk job and my hobbies are sedentary and I don't clean/cook daily or anything evne remotely active) I push much closer to the "lightly active" TDEE than the sedentary one just with trips to meetings, the water cooler, bathroom, and maybe a trip to starbucks (Across the street). So I would say I'm 'sedentary' but calculation wise that multiplier is too low, I fall in between sedentary and lightly active and that is as someone who literally sits on their butt most of the day and eats takeout or super low prep food and only cleans the absolute bare minimum on a regular day.
  • nekoemi
    nekoemi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great thread!

Good to see you back, Joe
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    When dieting and either trying to lose weight or even gain weight if you are bulking, the most important aspect of your plan is knowing your TDEE. You cannot proceed forward and make progress for the long term without knowing what this is, how to obtain it, and what to do with it.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expedenture

TDEE is basically how many calories you burn in a 24 hour period. This is all of your activity including exercises, eating, sleeping, driving a car and yelling at stupid drivers on the highway...whatever it is. If you're doing something, you're burning calories. In all actuality even if you're just sitting down at a desk you're still burning, just not as much.

In order to avoid making this thread a TL;DR thread, I'll be quick and simple. (no snide comments please and you know who you are)

Example to lose weight:

Take a weekly average of your TDEE. Let's pretend you use a Bodymedia FIT and you burn 3000 calories on your workout days (5 days a week), and 2500 calories on your rest days (2 days a week). This would be a weekly average of 20,000 calories for the week.

For the mathematically challenged that's: 3000x5 = 15,000 and 2500x2 = 5000 which equals 20,000. (Yes I really had to break this down for some people)

Moving on....

You are burning 20,000 calories per week. This is your WEEKLY TDEE. Let's pretend you want to lose 1lb a week. Since 1lb is 3,500 calories then you do the math (again):

20,000 - 3,500 = 16,500

This means that you need to eat 16,500 calories PER WEEK in order to lose 1lb for that week. If you are really bored and just don't care, you could technically eat 16,500 calories in ONE DAY and not eat anything the rest of the week and still lose 1lb although you will be completely miserable and you'd probably end up extremely sick if not comatose...but anyways.

Normal people will break this down to eating roughly 2350 calories per day and they will still lose 1lb a week. In order to minimize muscle loss you will need to eat approximately 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, or if you don't know what that is, you can just use bodyweight. Also, you need to do some sort of resistance weight training and lift heavy to minimize muscle loss as well.

As I typed this, I realized it's not as "short" as I wanted it to be, but I figured I'm making a comeback on the forums so ..... =)

Anyways, take this explanation for what it's worth and above all, you don't need any "diet pills" to lose weight.

Stay disciplined, stick to your plan, make sure you document your food and the weight will come off.

Peace.

Bump !!!!!!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    According to this I should be eating 1500 calories a day to maintain my weight. That is way lower than MFP says.
    This may be a stupid question, but at 1500 a day would I NOT eat back my exercise calories, because that doesnt sound right, but I entered in the days I would be working out.

Anyone? Because if I am suppose to net 1500, I am way over eating
  • 1jeaniebeanie
    1jeaniebeanie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bump!! Good info for my peeps! =)
  • Cpuff70
    Cpuff70 Posts: 153
    Options
    Thanks!