cursing + having little kids ==

Options

Replies

• cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    In my experience, people who come from "good" (kind, wealthy, well-educated and well-traveled) families do NOT swear nearly as much as those who come from "bad" families.

Soooo, those of us who swear are simply bad, unintelligent, poor trash?? One of the most ignorant statements made EVER.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    In my experience, people who come from "good" (kind, wealthy, well-educated and well-traveled) families do NOT swear nearly as much as those who come from "bad" families.

Soooo, those of us who swear are simply bad, unintelligent, poor trash?? One of the most ignorant statements made EVER.
    Agreed.
  • spazwgeo
    spazwgeo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You know why is it that if we don't agree with swearing around our kids we get attacked?!? If you wanna swear in your home then swear to your hearts content!! We are just letting you know what we think about the matter. If you feel like you're being judged.....you are..to a point. People are never going to completely agree with what we do as parents...ever! All I know is that my kids will have enough stuff to worry about as they get older and if swearing will make them 'appear' to be trashy or uneducated then I'm not gonna show them that it's ok to swear when they get older. Yes you can say "those are big people words". But I don't think that 'big people' should use them either!
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    DH and I don't swear, we don't listen to uncensored music, and I'd really prefer that people NOT swear in front of our kids. We actually stopped playing softball with our team because we couldn't take the kids because of the language and we couldn't get a sitter every Thursday night. Of course I don't believe that they are never going to hear it, I know they live in the real world, but I'd prefer them not to hear it constantly when they are young. Once they get to school they will hear it enough....
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i swear, but not a lot. when my 13 year old was younger i would never swear around him. i would be ok with using light swear words around him now. i know he swears with his peers.
    i also have a 2 year old and i won't swear around him. i think it's disrespectful to swear in front of kids.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

Please read my entire statement. I clearly stated this wasn't a set thing. In fact, I wasn't even making a broad statement at all -- simply pointing out my personal experience.
    While one thing does not necessarily equal another, I have noticed a correlation and am quite certain others have as well -- Just look at the variety of responses to this question.
  • Lyndahoots
    Lyndahoots Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I swear a lot around my kids (7 & 9). I've never hid it. It's just something I knew I would not be able to control. I've also told them that I don't want to hear those words coming from them. And I never have. They've never gone through that stage of repeating everything they hear. They get mad at each other but swearing never comes into play. Ever since they were young I would recite a list of words they should never say - hate, stupid, Jesus (In a bad way), etc, and then swearing (not actually saying the words but they knew what I was talking about). As they got older I would ask them what words should they never say and they would recite the list (it was the only time the words were okay to say). My daughter was doing a program at our library reading to therapy dogs and the handlers would be there with the dogs. My daughter was reading the story and came to the word "hate". She stopped and the woman told her the word since she though she might be struggling with it. My daughter just told her I know the word but I'm not allowed to say it. Made my day.
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    You know why is it that if we don't agree with swearing around our kids we get attacked?!? If you wanna swear in your home then swear to your hearts content!! We are just letting you know what we think about the matter. If you feel like you're being judged.....you are..to a point. People are never going to completely agree with what we do as parents...ever! All I know is that my kids will have enough stuff to worry about as they get older and if swearing will make them 'appear' to be trashy or uneducated then I'm not gonna show them that it's ok to swear when they get older. Yes you can say "those are big people words". But I don't think that 'big people' should use them either!

I agree -- Very well said. We all have the right to share our opinions.
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I only curse in German. That makes it okay, right?! :wink:
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I usually don't swear, however, when I do, I make it worth my while.

I do find it peculiar that society, in general, defines "curse words" as the terms listed by the FCC as unsuitable for public broadcast communications.

That FCC list of words has somehow become a legal precedent for what local, state and federal government...as well as private and corporate businesses...consider to be unsuitable for use in our general conversation.

Funny how that developed, isn't it?
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I only curse in German. That makes it okay, right?! :wink:

i cuss in spanish!!!!

and on that note the "child" that said she doesnt want her kid's nose in a book, aye pendeja!
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fact that children cursing will forever be hilarious (in addition to old people, people with thick accents) I try not to. In fact as i'm starting my career i'm trying not to curse myself or at least break the habit of saying f___ing when i cant come up with another adjective
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I was putting my son to bed early the other night for being a brat all day and disrespecting his mother.(he was tired) Anyway, on the way up the stairs he called me a "Vagina". It was hard not to laugh. Vagina- ha ha ha!

Id have lost it....vagina? I would have had to choke off the laughter and get myself back under control so I could call the little rat a butt munch or something...

Agree with most that its no big deal. I recently declared to my kids (7 and 4) that *kitten* is no longer a curse word for mommy and daddy - its too hard to not curse at all, and the s bomb is not so terrible - its just a thing, right?

My kids also understand that they will hear bad words and know them all - they know they are not allowed to say them. period.

So don't worry - knowledge and understanding are invaluable tools to give your children. By cursing around them - they gain knowledge. By explaining to them WHY they are not to repeat or utter these adult words, you give them understanding.

I'm bettin they end up better off for it....
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options

holy fu@king wow. <---- I'm going to call my parents right now and tell them after all the evidence points otherwise, we are actually a "bad" family!!!!

and ~then~ I'm going to update my internal dictionary to re-define what a "good" family and a "bad" family means.

Hrm.

Good family = wealthy, well-educated and well-traveled
    Bad family = poor, non-educated and not wealthy enough to travel.

Let's see, I have 2 bachelor degrees, 1 master's degree and 1/2 to another BS... educated? check.
    My parents both had very well paying careers and I'm a software engineer, so um, yeah. check.
    Not a world traveler, but I've seen most of my continent. half check?
    I swear == overrides everything. Bam. I'm from a "bad" family!!! yes!!!
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    I've always sworn in front of my children; the F and S words are common, every day words in this house. I've taught my children what I believe which is that these are just strong, expressive words - *words*. I've taught them the "flow chart" and they know that they aren't allowed to start using those words until they are much older and can rationalize and control when and when not to use them.

Not a big deal IMO.
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options

holy fu@king wow. <---- I'm going to call my parents right now and tell them after all the evidence points otherwise, we are actually a "bad" family!!!!

and ~then~ I'm going to update my internal dictionary to re-define what a "good" family and a "bad" family means.

Hrm.

Good family = wealthy, well-educated and well-traveled
    Bad family = poor, non-educated and not wealthy enough to travel.

Let's see, I have 2 bachelor degrees, 1 master's degree and 1/2 to another BS... educated? check.
    My parents both had very well paying careers and I'm a software engineer, so um, yeah. check.
    Not a world traveler, but I've seen most of my continent. half check?
    I swear == overrides everything. Bam. I'm from a "bad" family!!! yes!!!

From the last page of this topic:

Please read my entire statement. I clearly stated this wasn't a set thing. In fact, I wasn't even making a broad statement at all -- simply pointing out my personal experience.
    While one thing does not necessarily equal another, I have noticed a correlation and am quite certain others have as well -- Just look at the variety of responses to this question.

Why ask this question if all you want are people who agree with you?
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I always try to watch myself around my cousins, mainly because some of the stuff that comes out of my mouth can be quite vile.

Saying that they've picked up plenty of cursing from our 83 year old Grandma, English is her second language and most of the words she has learnt from her time in the UK appear to be expletives.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My parents hardly EVER cursed in front of me, and my mother still does not. My dad says **** and *kitten* sometimes, but not on a regular basis. The first time I heard him say **** I burst into tears because he was REALLY angry.

I was not allowed to cuss, I couldn't say pee, suck, crap, frick, anything at all. If I did I would be reprimanded. I think cussing in front of my parents or anybody older than me who I'm not friends with is SO disrespectful! I have a terrible mouth, but I couldn't imagine cussing in front of a little kid. I think it's obnoxious.

I don't think it's funny or cute when little 12 year olds tell somebody (like their parents or teachers?) to **** off. It's rude. It's disrespectful.
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My exhusband works in a factory and would come home and talk to me like he was with the boys. I don't care... its not like I don't swear either. My son uses swear words in the correct way too! Its funny but kinda embarassing when they say it in public. But, they hear it in public. I try and make an effort not to swear in front of them but it happens.

Thats when parenting comes in and the mom and dad sit the child down and talk to them about being appropriate and the difference between what adults can do and what children can do.
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Obviously I cuss around my kids. No, I am not "poor, uneducated or come from a bad family".. My 3yr old son told my 7yr old daughter "I'm gonna bust your *kitten*!" - Oh and I spank my kids too.