snobbish on MFP?

Options

Replies

• Brightstar4031
    Brightstar4031 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I find it comical how many have taken this post out of context. The meaning of the word snobbish being "those who incline to social exclusiveness and who rebuff the advances of people considered inferior" is what I'm speaking about. Some people reacted in a positive way and said they would mind being my friend. Thats great. I appreciate the positive support.
  • Brightstar4031
    Options
    Also, I'm sorry to offend anyone...
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm not offended or anything, but I don't really understand the point of saying to a huge open forum of vastly different personalities that there seem to be a lot of snobs. It's rather off-putting, like it doesn't make me want to immediately send you a friend request.

Just a tip, calling people snobs, prob not the best way to get friends. After all, we are all here to get healthy and make friends with people who will be supportive of our goals.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    This is nothing....parenting forums are the worst! honestly they shouldn't be called parenting forums they should be aptly named "my childs better than yours" forum!

Oh and if you don't like what people say do as you would if they said it in person......walk on buy....or punch them in the face :laugh:
    becuase thats how I roll - kidding!

OMG. OMG I know!!! I was on Cafemom for a while and just could not DEAL with how awful people were to each other about their parenting styles. And the bragging...omg, just don't even go there.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    This is nothing....parenting forums are the worst! honestly they shouldn't be called parenting forums they should be aptly named "my childs better than yours" forum!

Oh and if you don't like what people say do as you would if they said it in person......walk on buy....or punch them in the face :laugh:
    becuase thats how I roll - kidding!

OMG. OMG I know!!! I was on Cafemom for a while and just could not DEAL with how awful people were to each other about their parenting styles. And the bragging...omg, just don't even go there.

You should try Babycenter... it's worse... even though I did make some awesome friends from there... but still.
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    I've been on here regularly now for a week and have read some cool stuff. Also I've noticed that some people seem so stuck up!

Welcome to MFP, enjoy your stay.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Why? The only person responsible for being offended is the offendee...
  • Brightstar4031
    Options
    I don't get offend by comments that don't apply to me so. . . and i did get friends and people have agreed... I'm not worried about it anymore.
  • Brightstar4031
    Options

Why? The only person responsible for being offended is the offendee...

just to sweep my side of the street so to speak
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    The forums are only for those with thick skin . . . .:sick: yeah that was bad, but I couldn't resist

i was thinking the same thing.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I'm on several different forums.

for weight loss, this one BY FAR is the most active. i got some snarky comments on a different site when I asked a completely innocent question about weight loss. So I haven't been back there. I don't need the toxicity.

ALL forums have their trolls, snobs, whiners etc. If I see trouble brewing, I TRY to stay away. Sometimes I just get angry and have to put in my $0.02.

Just look at it this way, people are behind a computer screen, so we can't see them, we can't make judgements about them, so they feel they can let it all out. We don't know them, where they work or live...the internet is a 'safety' place.

BTW...I am a snob...a cupcake snob.
  • TexasGirl_Amie
    Options
    I'm totally a snob to people who leave a snail trail on the machines or don't wipe down equipment after use! :sick: :noway:
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I've been on here regularly now for a week and have read some cool stuff. Also I've noticed that some people seem so stuck up!
    I am regularly baffled by the online behavior I see on MFP. Not the mean stuff, or the snob stuff or the name calling or the arguing - I see that on every. single. Internet. forum. I've. ever. belonged. to. I am baffled by the ratio of "why are people so mean/rude/snobbish" threads to the amount of meanness/rudeness/snobbery I actually see on the forum.

MFP is tame by Internet forum standards. At least the forums I've participated in. Does MFP attract a lot of people that haven't participated in online forums before? Or is there a correlation between weight loss and hypersensitivity? I really don't understand. Do we get our feelings hurt more when we're hungry?

OP, what is the expected result of starting a thread like this? I'm not trying to be mean or snobbish or trying to ridicule. I am genuinely curious.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I am regularly baffled by the online behavior I see on MFP. Not the mean stuff, or the snob stuff or the name calling or the arguing - I see that on every. single. Internet. forum. I've. ever. belonged. to. I am baffled by the ratio of "why are people so mean/rude/snobbish" threads to the amount of meanness/rudeness/snobbery I actually see on the forum.

MFP is tame by Internet forum standards. At least the forums I've participated in. Does MFP attract a lot of people that haven't participated in online forums before? Or is there a correlation between weight loss and hypersensitivity? I really don't understand. Do we get our feelings hurt more when we're hungry?

OP, what is the expected result of starting a thread like this? I'm not trying to be mean or snobbish or trying to ridicule. I am genuinely curious.

It is weird. It's like every forum newbie in the world makes their way here.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options

Excellent post and observation, my friend. I would have to agree. I was on a music message board awhile back and it got far more brutal than anything I have ever seen here. I, too, wonder why people are so sensitive here. Perhaps it is because of the lack of previous message board experience. The only message board I've ever been on where the people were always civil to one another was a vegetarian message board I was on several years ago. Every other one was constant bickering and bullying. You just have to have a thick skin and learn to ignore the things you don't like. Otherwise, if you speak out against those things, prepare yourself for some backlash (that's where the thicker skin comes into play).

I do like your second thought too. Maybe people are just more sensitive when they want a piece of pizza and they can't have it. If I'm hungry and b*tchy I am far more likely to call out someone who is being an idiot in a thread. Add that to the fact that weight-loss message boards are a magnet for insecure people and you have a calorie free recipe for disaster.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a stuck-up b*tch.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a stuck-up b*tch.

LIES!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a HOT, stuck-up B*TCH
  • feb06momma
    feb06momma Posts: 169
    Options
    I have been posting here for close to two months on a regular basis. I have not ever felt anyone was being less than supportive or snobby towards me. I have over 100 pals cheering me on. How cool is that?! I am sure there are those that are less than friendly, but you get that anywhere.
  • rtaddlowe
    rtaddlowe Posts: 70
    Options

I'll have my people get a hold of your people and sort this bad manner thing out! HAHA

JK, I hope you find a lot of cool people on here because I think it is a cool site with a lot of cool people.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    You are going to make a ton of friends with this forum. Seriously MFP is nothing more than a reflection of life. Outside MFP there are snobs too. That's life. Fortunately you can pick and choose who to associate with and who not to.