Options
1234568»

Replies

• Isolt
    Isolt Posts: 70
    Options
    HAHAHHAA. please. nazis.

Have a gold star sweetheart...you just invoked Godwin's Law

Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies[1][2]) is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1990[2] that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[2][3] In other words, Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably criticizes some point made in the discussion by comparing it to beliefs held by Hitler and the Nazis.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    To the OP... Gratz on the weight loss. :)

I was quite surprised in the direction that this thread went. WOW
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I honestly think this tread might have not gotten as contentious if the OP didn't start off sounding a bit cocky with the title....

"Topic: I'm not knocking anyones "diet" but...."

Probably would have gone over better had it been: "Paleo diet has worked for me!"

In any case I don't have any doubt the paleo diet has its benefits, I was staying away from processed foods for the most part before I had even heard the term, but as many people pointed out its not sustainable for most people, which is why we each need to find out what works best for ourselves as individuals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Just to add, I "paleo" about 6 weeks if I'm in my "cut" phase, but it's not an eating preference I personally could live with the rest of my life. Being Filipino, my family culture is built around food and parties (and I'm partying almost every weekend) and trust me when I say that the food isn't the best when it comes to low calories, sodium or carbs! And though I don't eat rice everyday, I still have it in small amounts (and it's white rice at that).

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    bump
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Find me a "paleo" ice cream, cake, and rice that doesn't taste like s....t and you may convince me.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
    Paleo ice cream and cake I can give you-make it about 10 times a year for birthdays and it's fantastic!!!.. hmm rice not so much.. lol but I am not promoting paleo, though I do eat paleo-like for health reasons grain, legume and dairy free out of necessity . I am a big fan of finding what works for you and let everyone else do the same. I don't believe there is a cookie cutter diet and exercise program that works for everyone.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Paleo ice cream and cake I can give you-make it about 10 times a year for birthdays and it's fantastic!!!.. hmm rice not so much.. lol but I am not promoting paleo, though I do eat paleo-like for health reasons grain, legume and dairy free out of necessity . I am a big fan of finding what works for you and let everyone else do the same. I don't believe there is a cookie cutter diet and exercise program that works for everyone.
    If it don't have dairy then it ain't ice cream!! But I'll check it out if you PM it to me.

IDEA Fitness member
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Eh.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    If it don't have dairy then it ain't ice cream!! But I'll check it out if you PM it to me.

IDEA Fitness member
    lol.. ok will do
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finding what works best for you. Do not let anyone get you down. Everyone is different and while some things work great for some, it does not work for others. We all have to try things out to see what will work best for our body.

Keep up the great work and congrats on winning the weight loss challenge!! :flowerforyou:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Damn.
  • Chriztii
    Chriztii Posts: 94
    Options
    I honestly think this tread might have not gotten as contentious if the OP didn't start off sounding a bit cocky with the title....

"Topic: I'm not knocking anyones "diet" but...."

Probably would have gone over better had it been: "Paleo diet has worked for me!"

In any case I don't have any doubt the paleo diet has its benefits, I was staying away from processed foods for the most part before I had even heard the term, but as many people pointed out its not sustainable for most people, which is why we each need to find out what works best for ourselves as individuals.

Basically this ^
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants to knock Paleo/Primal, you go right ahead. There are those of us who know better, and we'll be living it up (happy, healthy, active, low-stress, all while eating super-delicious foods) while the nay-sayers keep riding that sugar addiction. Have fun with that!! :)

wow and people who dont follow a "DIET" made up by some idiot... are unhappy .. unactive... and high stress?
    PLEASE. how ridiculous. i eat carbs.. I LOVE carbs. they help me do my HIGH intensity workouts and heavy lifts... which i couldnt do without carbs. and i refuse to be "lightly active".

THANKS!

OK, I don't do paleo but I do limit my carbs to about 80-100/day. I lift heavy 2x/week, do HIIT 3x/week (and at least one of these includes doing circuit-training as well), and do steady-state cardio at least once a week for over an hour. Some days more, when the weather cooperates, as I'm training to do back-to-back century bike rides in July where I might ride for 2-3 hours. I have no problem doing these without eating lots of carbs.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants to knock Paleo/Primal, you go right ahead. There are those of us who know better, and we'll be living it up (happy, healthy, active, low-stress, all while eating super-delicious foods) while the nay-sayers keep riding that sugar addiction. Have fun with that!! :)

wow and people who dont follow a "DIET" made up by some idiot... are unhappy .. unactive... and high stress?
    PLEASE. how ridiculous. i eat carbs.. I LOVE carbs. they help me do my HIGH intensity workouts and heavy lifts... which i couldnt do without carbs. and i refuse to be "lightly active".

THANKS!

OK, I don't do paleo but I do limit my carbs to about 80-100/day. I lift heavy 2x/week, do HIIT 3x/week (and at least one of these includes doing circuit-training as well), and do steady-state cardio at least once a week for over an hour. Some days more, when the weather cooperates, as I'm training to do back-to-back century bike rides in July where I might ride for 2-3 hours. I have no problem doing these without eating lots of carbs.

I am not sure if you have a medical condition, but have you had negative effects eating at 150g of carbs a day, have you tried it?

I was hypoglyemic for years and am now diabetic but can control without meds as long as I keep up my exercise and eating plan. So I know my body reacts to carbs differently than those without blood sugar issues.

I do sometimes eat 150g (or even more) of carbs in a day because I do splurges. I'm fine as long as I also do a good workout within a few hours of eating the higher carbs or just before eating them. However, I definitely have to time the excess carbs around workouts or I definitely get negative effects. I also get negative effects if I string too many higher carb days in a row. And, yes, 150g is high-carb for me.

Negative effects include achy joints, lethargy, headaches, fuzzy thinking, digestive problems including heartburn and/or constipation, water retention (my feet can really swell making my shoes hurt) and, of course, too high of blood sugar levels. However, that's only if I've been stupid and eaten way too many, especially over multiple days.

But, like I said, I don't really have these negative effects if I limit it to once or twice a week (not two days in a row) and time it around exercise. I just need to be careful to carb-load thoughtfully based on what works for me.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Find me a "paleo" ice cream, cake, and rice that doesn't taste like s....t and you may convince me.:laugh:
    ^^^ This! Haha. What do you do if you want something sweet or a dessert? I'd go nuts without dessert options.
    IDEA Fitness member
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    ok what is paleo?

Another "fad" diet

Yep it's the "fad" diet that humans were on for thousands of years before the government determined everyone should have carbs in the 1950's. It's such a fad that it was being prescribed by doctors in 1856!

http://www.lowcarb.ca/corpulence/
  • ninerbuff
    Options

^^^ This! Haha. What do you do if you want something sweet or a dessert? I'd go nuts without dessert options.
    Though I don't always have dessert, I DON'T like to have substitutes. It's dessert for a reason.............so I can eat sweet crap that's bad for you!!!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yep it's the "fad" diet that humans were on for thousands of years before the government determined everyone should have carbs in the 1950's. It's such a fad that it was being prescribed by doctors in 1856!

http://www.lowcarb.ca/corpulence/
    Government didn't determine it.....................the food companies did. And people ate it right up. When money is involved, integrity goes out the window and people will be told what's good for them.
    But today that goes just for about everything. If some don't think paleo gurus aren't trying to make a fortune spreading their philosophy, then I have a great book I can write and sell to them too.

IDEA Fitness member
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    wow, she said she(op) wasnt promoting paleo- but she was saying that why spend money and time trying to loose weight artificial ways vs natural. I dont know much about the paleo diet other than its natural. I believe that you can eat breads pasta etc but that you should most of teh time try to eat little to no proccessed foods and food that are natural! Limiting dairy and meat is healthy too.

Try watching forks over knifes and food matters ( documentarys) there is scientific proof that eating like this is benificial for you! And to the poster that said no one can workout hard and eat paleo- check out the engine 2 lifestyle this guy During his 10+ years as a professional triathlete, Rip had a plant-based diet at the advice of his father, Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, chief of surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, who discovered through medical research that a plant-based, low fat diet could reverse heart disease and diabetes. He then became a firefighter. By committing to plant-based meals with Rip as their guide, all the Engine 2 firefighters in Austin lost weight (some more than 20 lbs.), lowered their cholesterol (Mr. 344′s dropped to 196), and improved their overal health. This dude is very healthy and didnt eat meat or dairy as a professional triathlete. Please you can eat HEALTHY not starve and be fit.