Amazing things people say when you're losing weight

Options

Replies

• butterfly10398
    Options
    What bothers me the most is when people say things like, why are you losing weight? you look fine, you don't need to diet... Or they try to be the devil on my shoulder and push "bad" foods... A little bit won't hurt...

The absolute biggest pet peeve, is when people find out that i'm dieting and they feel the need to warn me about every dieting trap out there... Seriously... I know you mean well, but i've been around the block a FEW times now and know what works best FOR ME. Thank you come again! haha
  • MrsSpindler
    Options
    You look so good....NOW! (Geee, thanks!)

Are you losing weight because of Jennifer Hudson? (Ranted about this yesterday, she is not the Black woman weight loss goddess)

You had surgery right? (Contrary to popular belief, people can lose large amounts of weight sans bariatric surgery!)

THIS! I hate the "oh you're trying to get all JHud on us." Um no ma'am! I've lost 50lbs before JHud. This is not about her, or YOU for that matter.

I agree! I'm not losing weight because she did... lol!! Right and the "you look good NOW" I HATE that!! Like I was such a monster before?! lol
  • KellieJo1906
    Options
    I am new to this, but I was under the assumption this was suppose to be supportive....
  • mrslorrijackson
    mrslorrijackson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have heard "wow did you have that baby!?" after loosing the 1st 20 and then "Don't get too thin, you'll loose your curves" after dropping the 1st 60 lbs. People only care about how they veiw you and it can hurt but in all reality it is a fact at least they are validating that your body is changing and that you are loosing! I have more to go so let the weird comments commence!
  • sparkly96
    sparkly96 Posts: 120
    Options
    When I would go to Weight Watchers meetings I would be told by other members "wow why are you here"? I had 40lbs to lose and because i'm short and carry my weight differently no one suspected i was 40lbs overweight. I also had a lot less to lose than most in those meetings so i guess it aggravated them to see me there? It was annoying and frustrating.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Two nights ago my boyfriend's friend pointed out my tricep muscle and said way to go girl! and gave me a high five. HOLLA
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The worst was when I was at my goal weight and my step-dad said (as I was walking on the treadmill) something along the lines of, "You're making great progress. Keep going and you'll get there!" Well, I thought I already *was* there.

Then again, he said something similar about the men I was dating before I got married... "That one's a whole lot better than the last one, and if you keep it up you'll find a good one." (I married the man that was a "whole lot better", LOL!)

But I am pretty sure I have said to people, "You've lost a TON of weight! You look terrific!" I try not to do that any more.
    Older, wiser?
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Two nights ago my boyfriend's friend pointed out my tricep muscle and said way to go girl! and gave me a high five. HOLLA

That's the stuff dreams are made of right there. I invite people to the gun show regularly now rofl
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    people are so silly sometimes. i've heard girl what you doing. you trying to dry up. do you eat. you not on that pipe are you. you looked fine before. I'm just like really. Haters are my motivation to keep going .
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    "You must have SO MUCH energy now!"

I don't have the heart to tell them, "Nope, I'm just as lazy as ever."
  • sparkly96
    sparkly96 Posts: 120
    Options
    What bothers me the most is when people say things like, why are you losing weight? you look fine, you don't need to diet... Or they try to be the devil on my shoulder and push "bad" foods... A little bit won't hurt...

It seems misery loves company and when people see you trying to lose weight if they havent been successful in their own weight loss they will try to push those bad foods in your direction. A huge annoyance, i agree.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100 lbs and have more to go but the comments people made, even if they were trying to be nice I found insulting. They were all say OMG you look GREAT! By them saying this made me feel like I looked hideous before. Honestly a woman can be beautiful no matter what her weight is. I am loosing weight because it is what is best for me and my body I want to be healthy.

I am not hideious or ugly at any weight.
  • HMFooden
    HMFooden Posts: 14
    Options
    I like it when people make comments when I lose weight. I can't imagine someone that would be annoyed by it... They must be annoyed by a lot of things then.

i agree... when people notice its my motivation to keep going..... since i look at myself in the mirror on a daily basis i don't always notice it, but when a coworker or a friend says it, i know that what i'm doing is working and that i should keep at it because if they notice than it works and that makes me happy :)
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    My Dad (I am 25!): How much have you lost?
    Me: 6 pounds (this was a few weeks ago)
    Dad: Looks like you lost a pound from your chin!
    Me: *facepalm*
  • chaniray
    chaniray Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    nobody's said anything yet but i'm sure i'll be happy when they start.
  • HMFooden
    HMFooden Posts: 14
    Options
    When I would go to Weight Watchers meetings I would be told by other members "wow why are you here"? I had 40lbs to lose and because i'm short and carry my weight differently no one suspected i was 40lbs overweight. I also had a lot less to lose than most in those meetings so i guess it aggravated them to see me there? It was annoying and frustrating.

i used to get frustrated by the girls that i thought were skinny and trying to lose weight, but i honestly think it was just because i was unhappy with myself and jealous that they have either lost more weight than me or were on the road to it
  • jacquelyn311
    jacquelyn311 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love the quote on your ticker; so true! :happy:
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I am a very solid person and tend to carry my weight extremely well (all but my stomach...lol). I tell people that I have lost over 20 lbs and still have more to go........they look at me like I have 3 eyes................."No.........you look good at this weight.............I just want to pull out the spare tire and shake it at them..............oh yeah..........what about this! People should just follow that simple rule..........keep your mouth shut until your mouth catches up with your brain........lol!:explode:
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Today I was told.....Baby got back! by a lady who hasn't seen me in about 3 months
    I was told it was a good thing...................:laugh:
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Sometimes I think people don't know what to say, like when I had my twins, the first question out of peoples mouths was are they twins? Ummmmm they are dressed exactly alike, same car seat same blankets heck even the same size lol, I think that people just want to either start a conversation about what your doing or why your doing it and they just say the silliest things.

Great job on your weighloss goals

I have twins too and that's the first question I get asked on a daily basis. The next is are they identical or fraternal. When they were babies (both girls) I would dress them in pink and purple dresses with bows on their heads and people would still ask if they were boys or girls. *sigh*

I agree that people sometimes say things with the best intentions that are taken out of context or just don't come out the right way. Congrats on the weight loss.