Amazing things people say when you're losing weight

Options

Replies

• Diandra81
    Diandra81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I want to add this- I've noticed that MEN make eye contact now & are generally nicer - hold doors, chat me up ... I guess most women would be pleased with this but IT MAKES ME MAD!
    I'm the same 'fatty' who was invisible last year. LOL I'm still invisible.
    HOW can I be invisible at 200 lbs and MORE visible now?! grrrr

THIS! I told my dad that I noticed that people are just nicer to me...saying hello, smiling....he said well maybe you're nicer now too...LOL maybe!
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I find weighloss comments very motivational! Most of the time...

Some guy at work once told me (when I was till wanting to lose another 25 or so pounds): "You've lost a lot of weight! I used to see you walking around and from behind it looked like two pigs fighting. Now it only looks like one..."

What a **** head!
  • ChrisWurt
    Options
    LOL @ Yoovie

I think men can't make up their minds what parts they like best. Boobs, butts, legs, etc. Women are just a buffet of goodness I guess.

No we can't, and yes women are!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I am new to this, but I was under the assumption this was suppose to be supportive....

I dont understand how this isnt being supportive- havent you had people say mean things to you out there under the guise of a compliment since you started losing weight? Isnt it nice to get it off your chest with other people that have been there?
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I want to add this- I've noticed that MEN make eye contact now & are generally nicer - hold doors, chat me up ... I guess most women would be pleased with this but IT MAKES ME MAD!
    I'm the same 'fatty' who was invisible last year. LOL I'm still invisible.
    HOW can I be invisible at 200 lbs and MORE visible now?! grrrr

THIS! I told my dad that I noticed that people are just nicer to me...saying hello, smiling....he said well maybe you're nicer now too...LOL maybe!

I think that it's not so much that they are "being nicer" BECAUSE you're thinner, it's something to do with the confidence you are projecting that makes them "notice" you now. You could be 125lbs and completely shy or standoffish and people would ignore you the same as you think they did when you were heavier. Your attitude and energy you project has everything to do with your interaction with the world around you. Confidence attracts people, whether it's consciously or not.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    LOL @ Yoovie

I think men can't make up their minds what parts they like best. Boobs, butts, legs, etc. Women are just a buffet of goodness I guess.

:laugh: exactly what I was thinking!.

My fiance is sad that my tummy is shrinking. :noway: Oh well honey, I am evicting this jiggling gut! :drinker:
  • ChrisWurt
    Options
    I started my weight loss in Sept of 2011. I just quit eating all the chips and stuff that found its way to my mouth when I was laying around on the couch. Some people would notice and make comments that I was loosing weight, and at the time I wasn't weighing myself or anything so if people would ask if I lost weight I would say no, not that I know of. Then my wife wanted to start working out and I joined her for support and in turn started watching my calories with MFP. Now i hear comments daily about the weight I have lost. Not one has told me I look good, usually its a comment that I am too skinny, and if I mention I have another 10 lbs I wanna loose they act like I am nuts. I find that people, especially the ones closest to me seem to have a little jealousy of the weight loss as well. But as people have said before this, it's not about anyone but YOU! So now if they say something that's insulting or sarcastic, I usually say something that fits the comment made.

If its a Dr (I work in a hospital) I tell then it's because I would rather see them in the hall than be on their operating table.

Or

Yeah I wanted to loose weight, but it seems I am loosing it all in my boobs! (My wife used to say that, you should see how people look at me when I say that with a straight face!

Or The naughtiest for the most insulting

Yes I lost alot of weight so my penis would look bigger. That usually shuts them right up!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    My soon to be Mother in Law commented on my smaller portions this weekend. Then continued to go on and on about how much I ate when i was pregnant and better not eat so much with the next baby.

:explode:

And the poster that commented about people being nicer...yep, that goes both ways. I had lost about 40 pounds with MFP and people were so much nicer. Then I got pregnant and ballooned way up (during and after the pregnancy) and pretty much became invisible again.
  • jnance82
    jnance82 Posts: 149
    Options
    Soooo are you trying to lose weight or are you sick??? (Yeah thanks)

10502719.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs a couple of years ago and am now trying to maintain. There are some absolutely astounding things that people (usually skinny people!) have said to me while I was losing weight.

"Wow, if you lose any more weight you'll be a model"

"You've lost a ton of weight" (Me: "uh, I think 'ton' may be the wrong word..") "Yes you have! You've lost a TON!"

"So how much weight did you lose exactly?" (Me: "That's kinda personal") "So like more than 30 pounds?"

Anyone else want to share their own version of "Idiots Say The Darndest Things"? :)

i've gotten all of these! especially the "a ton" part. it actually made me kind of smile because the person saying it is really into fitness and i admire her. i said "oh not a ton, and i've been doing it over the last 6 months so i've kind of gotten used to it now"... yeah a lot of people ask me the amount of lbs too. i don't mind telling them! and i tell them i did it the hard way with diet and exercise. shuts them up right away! :) i love it
  • kizzaii
    kizzaii Posts: 52
    Options
    "you look well"
    So I looked ill before then?
  • carrielz
    carrielz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You look so good....NOW! (Geee, thanks!)

Are you losing weight because of Jennifer Hudson? (Ranted about this yesterday, she is not the Black woman weight loss goddess)

You had surgery right? (Contrary to popular belief, people can lose large amounts of weight sans bariatric surgery!)

I got married in December 2011 and I had a co-worker constantly on my case about what I was eating, because she said she wanted to make sure I would fit in my wedding dress - HOW RUDE! I had lost 30 lbs doing WW 4 years ago and I was maintaining without any problems. She would compare me to Jennifer Hudson and tell me how good she thought that she looked and she hoped i was keeping up the weight loss routine. Keep in mind, the person telling me this wasn't even a friend of mine, just a gal i worked with!
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    OMG you used to be HUGE!!! what happened?
    Kinda insulting to the old me LOL
  • darylinny
    darylinny Posts: 146
    Options
    You look so good....NOW! (Geee, thanks!)

Are you losing weight because of Jennifer Hudson? (Ranted about this yesterday, she is not the Black woman weight loss goddess)

You had surgery right? (Contrary to popular belief, people can lose large amounts of weight sans bariatric surgery!)

LOL!!!! I love that one, especially cause I lost most of my weight before she did!!!
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    Me personally, I am waiting on someone to ask me if I'm on crack!!! At this I will smile, hug them and say "no but thank you,,,you have made my day!"
  • confuzzledwife
    Options
    About 8 years ago I went from 185 down to 142. I'm 5'3". I felt good and happy there, however, many people made skinny jokes and rude comments. A comment from a co-worker "I like my women with meat on their bones", and he often called me "Olyve Oyl", (hardly), another said I needed to eat more rice and beans, most all of my family said I was too skinny, (I was wearing a size 8-10), and the worst most insulting/ignorant comment from another male family member "you look like a cancer patient".. ugh. Nothing to laugh at!
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    I have had people ask me if I'm sick - no, actually I'm getting healthier. People really have no idea what a pound looks like, so they are shocked if you say you have 50 or 100 pounds to lose. I can tell you what 200 pounds looks like, because I've worn those pounds personally, but everyone is so unique that weight loss goals only make sense to you.
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    I find weighloss comments very motivational! Most of the time...

Some guy at work once told me (when I was till wanting to lose another 25 or so pounds): "You've lost a lot of weight! I used to see you walking around and from behind it looked like two pigs fighting. Now it only looks like one..."

What a **** head!

This made be laugh out loud!!! You don't work at a nursing home by chance? My sister works as a speech therapist at a nursing home and a resident told her she was going to have to start wearing maternity clothes ( she is about 6mos preg.). She replied, I am wearing maternity clothes. Resident said, Not the right ones.
  • jessicaj_824
    jessicaj_824 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    When I was previously at my goal weight I was told I had had the body of a 12 year old boy... And that I was cuter when I had a butt.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Ironically once when I was at what my goal weight is now about 145 (oh to be back there!) I did lose weight because I was ill--down to 117 lbs--and everyone told me I looked great . . . which bothered me b/c I knew I looked like someone who had just died . . . actually I did tell some of them "No I've just lost weight because I'm clinically depressed" THE TRUTH

But then later after I had put some weight back on they told me I looked better b/c I looked kind of sick before . . . so they were lying? How weird.

Then . . . even stranger . . . as I continued to gain weight people never stopped asking me if I had lost weight. Nope I just gained some and then . . . some more.

I don't know. Now people want to know if I'm pregnant . . . (In what world is it EVER right to ask if someone is pregnant???)

In conclusion, I try to ignore people b/c evidently their view of me is even more skewed than my view of me.