Things people do at the gym that you hate

Options

Replies

• MJBez
    MJBez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have to say, many of the things that I have been reading on this thread I agree with.. however.. I only get mildly annoyed with those things....
    The worse: Being in zumba class and having a guy come and stand half a foot away from you... now ok... thats already annoying.... but then when you do any sort of "thrusts" or "shakes" and turn side to side he manages to get inches away! Like really buddy!? He is always shaking his junk with wayyyy too much enthusiasm.... gross. :sick:
    Now I understand that he does have a disability, but seriously... his mother takes him. She should either tell him to move away or not take him.... most of the time he stands and just stares at people (I am often his target). :noway: I have been really close to leaving the class a few times on account of this. I don't like to be rude but I feel so violated. Last time I just moved, right in the middle of a song, I moved away. He managed to move as well, closer, but at least I was a couple feet away.
    Also.. dear lady who is in front of my at Zumba, There is a fan in front of you blowing back at me.... Please refrain from farting and burping (it smells like vomit) ugh.:sick:
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I hate when there are like 10 other ellipticals available and they choose the one right next to me!
    hah. The other day I was doing some HIIT and a guy not only got onto the treadmill beside me - he took HIS SHIRT OFF I was all kinds of :noway: :embarassed:
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    A lot of these have probably already been covered, however:

People that smell (ok, sweat I can forgive but not fried food, cigarettes or fart smells)
    People that don't come properly attired - there are at least 2 people who attend my gym wearing JEANS. YES, JEANS!!
    People that invade your personal space, be it using the machine next to me or just standing too close.
    People that go there just to pose. There is this one guy, really creepy (and he is young!), that just walks around, admiring his reflection and staring at women, including me. VERY offputting.
    People who don't listen to music..I mean, seriously, I don't know how they do it! (Plus it always makes me a ltitle paranoid about the amount of noise I make hehe)
    I could probably go on forever, but then I am so grumpy!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Now I understand that he does have a disability, but seriously... his mother takes him. She should either tell him to move away or not take him.... most of the time he stands and just stares at people (I am often his target).

You are kidding me right? You are complaining about someone that has a disability doing things that make you uncomfortable?

Newsflash hun, He felt this way his entire life. People staring at him when he went out in public and making fun of him because he did something in public that most people consider unacceptable. If it bothers you that much, then pick another damn class or get enough courage to get to know this person and politely ask him to stop doing these things. Most of the time they don't realize what they are doing is wrong or unacceptable unless you tell them... esp if they have a disability like Autism where their social skills are impaired anyway.

(Side note, I am all for complaining about the quirks of people at the gym.. but this is just downright rude. Esp because I work with people that have a wide range of disabilities, and I deal with this crap on a daily basis.)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    They go.

I'm a social phobe, I'd have a much easier time going to the gym if no one else did! :laugh:
  • AR73
    AR73 Posts: 107
    Options
    I used to go to a couple of very good gyms ( to remained nameless but in the £ 70 plus a month plus joining fee bracket gyms etc.

Then I realized I did not enjoy all the people on the phones, dirty and smelly people, clueless people and most of all ignorant staff and ageing equipment.

So I just cancelled the gym and since then I turned one of the spare rooms into a gym with cardio and weight machines.

No more 40 minutes roundtrip, so that alone is over a solid week of driving a year. A big savings in time, fuel ( emissions too ) and money.

Take also the nearly £ 900 pounds in membership and if you got the room it makes a lot of sense.

I also save time as it takes me less time to workout..
  • gooseafur
    gooseafur Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Nicely said dad106!!!
    "Most of the time they don't realize what they are doing is wrong or unacceptable unless you tell them... esp if they have a disability like Autism where their social skills are impaired anyway."

Very true, my oldest has high functioning autism....he sometimes is a "close talker" and doesn't even realize it. So yeah just politely remind him. :o)
  • MJBez
    MJBez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Now I understand that he does have a disability, but seriously... his mother takes him. She should either tell him to move away or not take him.... most of the time he stands and just stares at people (I am often his target).

You are kidding me right? You are complaining about someone that has a disability doing things that make you uncomfortable?

Newsflash hun, He felt this way his entire life. People staring at him when he went out in public and making fun of him because he did something in public that most people consider unacceptable. If it bothers you that much, then pick another damn class or get enough courage to get to know this person and politely ask him to stop doing these things. Most of the time they don't realize what they are doing is wrong or unacceptable unless you tell them... esp if they have a disability like Autism where their social skills are impaired anyway.
    (Side note, I am all for complaining about the quirks of people at the gym.. but this is just downright rude. Esp because I work with people that have a wide range of disabilities, and I deal with this crap on a daily basis.)

I have also worked with people with disabilites. I have nothing, i repeat nothing, against people with disabilites ( I was raised in a home with therapeutic foster children) I was not at all trying to be rude, but it is very awkward to have someone thrusting their junk at you, and to know that his mom is two rows back and doesnt have the couteousy to say something bothers me. You completely misunderstood me and what I am complaining about... it has nothing to do with disability.
    More to add: Do you think that since I should leave the class, that it is acceptable for him to be doing that stuff during a Zumba class? I am really curious what you think about this. IMO it is socially unnaceptable, regardless who it is. Do I get that he may not have understood this (when it first happened), yes but at the same time... many classes later it is still happening? You meantion that he has probably been picked on... did I ever say I said anything rude to him? No, and I never would because I don't set out to hurt others. I am just wondering what crap you deal with on a daily basis, and how is it rude that his gestures make me uncomfortable? How does that make me a terrible person? Please... enlighten me
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Running around in their underwear.

Oh, wait, those are shorts?

Never would have guessed.
  • stephanie2374
    Options
    I agree with the strong smells. They make me sneeze and I have to move elsewhere (if I can) because smells bother me.
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    1. People who come to the gym to check out people (girls and guys).
    2. People who try to talk to you while you're working out. If I wanted to talk to someone, I'd get on a social network and talk to somewhere. I'm here to lose weight, not chat it up like we're friends re-uniting.
    3. People who don't take a shower after the gym. Like, seriously.
    4. People who don't know how to dress when they go to the gym.
    5. Girls who wear their hair curled and make-up all dramatic like they're going to a pageant or a nightclub. Or wearing tight clothes. I don't wanna see your boobs. I'm here to work out. 'Kay?
    6. People who DON'T work out. They sit there on the bench texting or calling someone. Their conversation:
    "Hello?"
    "Oh, hiiii!"
    "Oh, nothing just working out at the gym."
    *Looks around*
    "Yeah, I'm just on the treadmill."

Um...no, you're not. You're on the phone ACTING like you're exercising.
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
  • LearningToLoveMyself
    Options
    I hate the beefy guys who grunt so loudly I can hear them over my ipod!

I absolutely HATE that!!!!!!!!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    :love:
    Dear Gym People - RE-RACK YOUR FREAKING WEIGHTS!!!!

thank you. I love these kinds of threads even though there's one every week, haha
    today I found some annoyances.

1: guy walks in, buff :love: w/ huge water bottle in hand, *looks around* walks to weight section. 2minutes later, walks out, REPEAT, this time he left his water bottle. then he comes BACK gets water bottle, this took all of 5minutes to see him walk in.out like 3times, not sure which muscle group he worked, maybe his EGO, lol

2: guys does set, guy LOUDLY drops free weight, thanks *kitten*, you look stupid

3: guys does set on bench, guy does leg raise, guys leaves. thanks for thinking the gym worker needed to re-rack your weight, lazy, lazy, lazy

I just notice things, i burned about 700calories today, don't judge my nosy-ness, you know you're looking at others, haha
  • CSummers316
    Options
    I am actually in the planning stages of doing a vlog about this exact thing, but here are just a few of the things that annoy the hell out of me at my gym.

1) Guys who wanna try to carry on a conversation with me when either I or they are nekked. Dude, seriously, I don't wanna talk when I am naked. Don't wanna talk to you when I am naked. This especially applies to when I am showering. Leave me the hell alone.

2) Dudes who flex not only in front of the mirror, but proceed to wander slowly around the weight room floor, striking their Mr. Universe poses. Add in the d-bags who duckface while doing so. Actually duckfacing period annoys me, but especially so on guys.

3) People who yell on their blue tooth headsets. Never used one but i doubt you have to yell.

More to come...
  • itsallyson
    itsallyson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    when there are 10 bazillion free treadmills in the gym, but they decide that the one RIGHT next to me is suitable -______-
    Go Awayyyyy people.
  • FitinFiveMonths
    Options
    Mostly women bother me at the gym, here are few examples:

Wearing inappropriate things to work out. Sorry, but that push up bra and flip flops aren't going to make the run very easy. Not to mention, girls, take off your jewelry! I can understand your wedding band or some stud earrings, but don't you feel stupid when your necklace or hoop earrings hit you in the face?! Get a sports bra and some tennis shoes and we'll talk.

The super pretty ones. You know, the ones that 'work out' with all of their make-up on, hair done up new mani-pedis, and jewelry on. Obviously trying to empress all the hot guys there, but seriously? Maybe if you broke a sweat, ran a 6 minute mile and lifted some weights, you'd get more attention than walking at 2.5 and stretching by the bubbler.

Girls taking pictures of themselves on their I pod/phone. Stop.

And girls that give me the up and down and then whisper to their friend's. Maybe I'm sweating so much because I've been running for 15 minutes or because my elliptical is on level 12. Gym is a judge free zone when it comes to fitness, as long as I'm really working, you don't have the right to give me the up and down.

Kay thats all :)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I usually do have my make up on at the gym. Meh, get over it and don't look at my face.

I shower at home, I do not like the way the showers are set up at the gym.

The only thing that really gets to me, is when random people start talking to me. Especially in the circuit training room. Um hello, working out here, out of breath, can't talk, go away. One day, I really wanna scream "stranger danger" just to see what someones reaction is.

Some lady the other day started talking to me on the tredmill, not just like hey how are ya, she was telling me her life story. I put my headphones in, and it still didn't stop her. I am not a very social person as is, it just made me uncomfortable.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Mostly women bother me at the gym, here are few examples:

Wearing inappropriate things to work out. Sorry, but that push up bra and flip flops aren't going to make the run very easy. Not to mention, girls, take off your jewelry! I can understand your wedding band or some stud earrings, but don't you feel stupid when your necklace or hoop earrings hit you in the face?! Get a sports bra and some tennis shoes and we'll talk.

The super pretty ones. You know, the ones that 'work out' with all of their make-up on, hair done up new mani-pedis, and jewelry on. Obviously trying to empress all the hot guys there, but seriously? Maybe if you broke a sweat, ran a 6 minute mile and lifted some weights, you'd get more attention than walking at 2.5 and stretching by the bubbler.

Girls taking pictures of themselves on their I pod/phone. Stop.

And girls that give me the up and down and then whisper to their friend's. Maybe I'm sweating so much because I've been running for 15 minutes or because my elliptical is on level 12. Gym is a judge free zone when it comes to fitness, as long as I'm really working, you don't have the right to give me the up and down.

Kay thats all :)

If it's a judgement free zone, then who are you to say that they are only wearing their make up and all that jazz to impress someone? My nails are always done, my make up is on like 80% of the time. I do work up a sweat, but I just feel more comfortable with my make up on. I am married and am not trying to impress anyone.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Nothing really bothers me at the gym. I LOVE the gym!!

But, I am friends with a guy on Facebook who takes pictures of people at his gym and then posts them on his Facebook page and proceeds to make fun of them while all of this Facebook friends chime in. So - be wary of those people with the cell phones! :noway: