Dangers of Vegetarian & Vegan Diets Long-Term

Options

Replies

• grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    "God is a meat eater..."
    Source, please. i have it on good authority that the FSM is, in fact, vegan.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    Least I'll say it straight up: I eat meat because I grew up on it, love the way it tastes, it fulfills my daily protein needs, I don't have an emotional attachment to whatever animal I'm eating, and could care less if a vegan/vegetarian sees me as evil, uncaring or barbaric.
    Morals are subjective. Some people believe in spanking. I don't. Some believe in "straight" marriage. I don't. I believe that starving hungry children are more important to feed than putting money into organizations to save animals from the butcher block. Some may agree, some may not but people should stick to what they feel is moral to them and what they can live with. I can live with eating meat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    So because we are not supposed to kill eachother its not ok to kill a cow? and to be 100% honest if it came down to the survival of my family Ted next door would be on the BBQ

I guess what I'm asking is, why should it be different to take the life of a cow than that of a human? What makes a human's life more valuable than a cow, pig, dog or cat? Is a life not a life?

But it doesn't. I was an athlete in college. On my team of 50 swimmers, not one was a vegetarian or vegan. Of the other teams that we hung out with, I never met one there either.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    soo....currently I'm pescatarian, but this thread makes me want to go vegan (already working on it) just to piss you people off! Live and let live!

and if you decide not to cherry pick your information check out the China Study or rent Forks Over Knives

Haha! Love it!
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Plants kill you. Meat kills you. Oxygen kills you. May as well go kill yourself.

this :)
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    So because we are not supposed to kill eachother its not ok to kill a cow? and to be 100% honest if it came down to the survival of my family Ted next door would be on the BBQ

I guess what I'm asking is, why should it be different to take the life of a cow than that of a human? What makes a human's life more valuable than a cow, pig, dog or cat? Is a life not a life?

No because you can't raise a family with a cow, or go to the mal lwith a COW or talk to the phone for hours with a COW or for that matter have SEX WITH A COW
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Tony Horton

Creator of p90x. Well respected trainer. Vegan.
    http://www.teambeachbody.com/connect/message-boards/-/message_boards/message/55884401

Actually... Tony is no longer a vegan. He had to give it up because he couldn't maintain a healthy body weight as a vegan. He blogged about it several weeks ago: http://tonyhortonsworld.com/the-perfect-healthy-diet/

Personally, I don't really care how other people eat. You can be a vegan, a carnivore or eat nothing but Twinkies, and I'll be happy if you're happy. :-)
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Tony Horton

http://www.teambeachbody.com/connect/message-boards/-/message_boards/message/55884401

Actually... Tony is no longer a vegan. He had to give it up because he couldn't maintain a healthy body weight as a vegan. He blogged about it several weeks ago: http://tonyhortonsworld.com/the-perfect-healthy-diet/

Personally, I don't really care how other people eat. You can be a vegan, a carnivore or eat nothing but Twinkies, and I'll be happy if you're happy. :-)

If there is a zombie apocalypse, there will still be Twinkies, and I think that may make both sides happy. :) (I could be wrong, I haven't had a Twinkie in forever and have no idea what is actually in them...)
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why it is always such a big deal to people if someone eats meat or not.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why it is always such a big deal to people if someone eats meat or not.

Because to some people, it is condoning unnecessary killing.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Tony Horton

That is a fantastic blog posting. I've never done P90X, but I can say I have more respect for him after reading that. I love his attitude about having to tweak your diet until you find the perfect one for you. :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If there is a zombie apocalypse, there will still be Twinkies, and I think that may make both sides happy. :) (I could be wrong, I haven't had a Twinkie in forever and have no idea what is actually in them...)

Zombie Twinkies are filled with brains. True story!
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    The human mind is an incredible thing.
    Too bad some people dont use it!!

BRB, getting beef jerkey and cold drink.
    Drama Queens are at it again.

Backyard patio party and grill out at my house tonight, come one come all, plenty of pig, cow and deer, to go around, no veggies allowed.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Tony Horton

That pretty much solved this entire debate
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

^^THIS
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    Backyard patio party and grill out at my house tonight, come one come all, plenty of pig, cow and deer, to go around, no veggies allowed.

Aww, I remember my first day of third grade too.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    No, this did;
    That pretty much solved this entire debate
    Tony Horton

• GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

^^THIS

My moral code does not affect you so get out of my refridgerator! I'll eat my bloody steak and enjoy every morsel. When I start gnawing on your young then you can get up in arms over what I chow on.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    My friends wife was a vegetarian and they were expecting their first child. Her OB told her she needed to incorporate meat into her diet in order to get proper nutrition to allow the baby to grow. She did.

I raised two vegetarians from conception. My firstborn is in his first year of law school at age 19. My 16 year-old is a college junior. They are both in prime health, have attained their full expected height, and they both have black belts, and can kick some serious butt.

While your anecdotal evidence is lovely..........I am sure the board certified physician had a reason for making this suggestion.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    My moral code does not affect you so get out of my refridgerator! I'll eat my bloody steak and enjoy every morsel. When I start gnawing on your young then you can get up in arms over what I chow on.

I'm not in your refrigerator, nor am I telling you what you can and cannot eat. Your moral code doesn't affect me directly, but it's a matter of speaking up for those who cannot for themselves.

Easy tiger, it's just the internet.