Replies

• SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My 3 best investments:

- FitBit
    - shoes
    - tons of workout clothes

I can't live without ANY of these things!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of posts on workout tapes, exercise games, and technology (fit bits, heart rate monitors, etc) that people are using to help them burn calories. If someone was watching their cash but looking to get a great workout, what are the 3 things you would say are worth the investment?

Mine:
    1. Subscription to SELF magazine. They share all the recipes and workouts online for free, but for me getting the magazine in the mail each month gives me a little bit of renewed motivation alongside some great ideas. I tear out the workouts and recipes and keep them in their own binder so I never get bored and can take them with me on a trip.
    2. Building a "home gym" with little investments over time. I don't own any big pieces of equipment but over the past 5 years I've accumulated a couple different weights in dumbbells, a jumprope, one of those blow up balls, a resistance band, yoga mat, and (my favorite) 2 kettlebells. None were very pricey one their own and allow me to try different exercises.
    3. 1 month with a professional trainer. I consider the time I spent doing Crossfit INVALUABLE. I worked with people who taught me good form and technique. I learned how to motivate myself through a workout and how to listen to my body. I couldn't afford to be a continuous member, but I know my time with them has prevented a lot of potential injuries and opened my horizons on exercise.

Things that barely missed the list: A good pair of cross training shoes (I LOVE my Vibrams even though I look like a hipster) my Gymboss interval trainer (It's not a necessary piece of equipment, but it does allow me to focus on certain workouts more intensely than if I were watching a clock)

Things that I always want and then decide it's not worth the cash: Heart rate monitor. I actually bought one once and then returned it. If you put one of these on your list I'd love to hear why you feel it helps. I just don't see the point of the investment but maybe that's because I just don't really understand how to use one to my benefit. I feel I would be too distracted by the numbers than paying attention to how my body feels.

Random..... HomeShoppingNetwork (HSN) is offering self magazine - 1 year subscription for $12.00 I saw it on TV at like 6am today.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    HRM
    comfortable workout clothes
    set of dumbells
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    SUUNTO M4 HRM

Power Block dumbbells and bench

Various BeachBody programs
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    1. Step. I use it for a weight bench and my favorite cardio: Step

2. Stability ball.

3. Bow flex adjustable weights

Honorable mentions: iPod with all my favorite music for running/walking and my Fitbit, which has truly made me move more, outside of my workouts
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    My gym

Me

And some boxing gloves

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    1. insanity - by kicking my butt the last 3 weeks
    2. MFP
    3. HRM
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    zumba card (prepaid classes)
    fit bit
    yoga pants
  • ninamm3
    ninamm3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    1. Brooks GTS Running Shoes

2.GARMIN

3.HRM

Running and healthy eating helped my lose 45 pounds, run my first Half Marathon, and change my life!
    If I can, ANYONE can.

www.runningsforthebirds.com
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    A speed rope (excellent cardio - approx $5)
    A resistance band (not as intense as lifting, but still works the muscles - approx $5-10)
    A good filtering water bottle (save money in the long run not buying bottles water - $10-15 + $5-10/3months for replacement filter)
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah the Fitbit got me moving
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    1. My Heart Rate Monitor (Polar Ft7)- its made me much more aware of how many calories I actually burn vs. what the MFP database has in store
    2. Kitchen Scale- much like the HRM, once I started weighing and measuring food, I learned that my estimation skills were WAY off:)
    3. My MFP and all that I've learned from my friends here. It keeps me accountable and while I worry sometimes that I might be a little obsessive, I've never felt more sure that I know what I need to do to stay healthy.
  • VonD140
    VonD140 Posts: 10
    Options
    1. My dog Lacy (she definitely will not allow me to sit around all day as I usually did)

2. MFP

3. Michael Jackson on Wii :-)
  • thinktank32k
    Options
    1. Going to a run store to get the proper running shoes.
    2. Continuing to pay for my monthly membership
    3. Buying healthy food (that is an investment in itself)
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    1. My Health
    2. My Life
    3. Me

Everything about " Me " is worth any investment to achieve a healthy lifestyle ... nothing fancy, no gimmicks ... I could have done it with just pure knowledge of healthy choices and walking !

Everything I added to achieve my goals ... are just a bonus ! :smile:
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    go to mytrainerbob.com. It is Bob Harper's website. You can order his workout videos for just $5 each. Well worth the money.
    Get some hand weights and a good pair of shoes. I also love my exercise step. Use it at least 3 to 5 times a week.
  • pattan59801
    pattan59801 Posts: 142
    Options
    1 Watch what you eat

2 I joined Curves

3 I walk at less 30 min's a day even if it is in the house going from room to room

Did you read the original post? None of these are investments :)

It's an investment in her fight to be healthy
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    1. Gym membership
    2. Kitchen scale
    3. My smartphone so I can stay on track anywhere...not necessary but definitely helpful
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    does adopting a dog count? that was my very first step, though it was more for my mental well being than exercise....
    then, running shoes,
    kitchen scales,
    a comfy running jacket for low temperatures ($10 at VV)
  • chinkeyes
    chinkeyes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1. a good pair of running shoes (looks and comfort)

2. P90X- never gets old (4 years now)

3. Black Card gym membership at Planet Fitness (ability to bring a workout buddy makes all the difference)