Would you date someone whose religion is different than your

Options

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    The very idea of eliminating countless potential partners that could make you deliriously happy on this basis just seems foolish to me.
    I could not be deliriously happy married to someone and raising children with someone who was not a Christian. That's the point that some of us are trying to make. It all depends on how devout a person is to their religion.
  • neddoh
    neddoh Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think the sad trend in this thread is that the devout religious seem to have a problem respecting another person's religion or lack of religion and have no faith in another person to be truly respectful of theirs.
    Respect makes the world go 'round, folks!

I'm seeing an awful lot of the same thing from both sides.

I meant to edit it that again and include that as well, but I went back and couldn't. That being said, I completely agree. I feel like there needs to be trust in a relationship and trusting that there will be a mutual respect for each other's faith. Discounting them because they don't believe in the same religion is like admitting that religion is most of yourself, which can be problematic. But in the end, whatever works for you is what you should do, right?
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm Christian and my husband is Mormon. We had this conversation early on in our relationship. Faith is very important to both of us. We have decided to raise our kids the way we were raised - reading the bible, saying their prayers and loving the Lord. We don't go to church but we have talked about joining in a Mormon service every no and then so the kids can learn about their daddy's faith. We have also considered joining a non-denominational church. We don't want to force any one belief on our kids. We both grew up finding our own religious path and that's what we want for our boys. It's all about understanding and compromise.

Fascinating that you differentiate between Christian and Mormon. I do, too, after living in Utah for almost forty years. I understand it may be private, but I would love to know how your husband and his family handles your making that differentiation? If it's none of my business, please ignore the question--I mean no offense, I'm just genuinely interested.
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am not very religious but very spiritual and I do believe in a higher power. I don't know why people insist there's either creationism or evolution because I believe God is science and everything is connected in some way or another. That being said I grew up in a Christian home but the older I got the more I questioned what I was being taught. My husband is not religous either but also believes in a higher power.

I would date (if I were single) someone who has other beliefs than me. I think that religion is a very interesting subject and why people believe the things they do. I think being able to take in and really think about someone elses point of view makes for a much more well rounded person rather than just disregarding them.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    It's very PC to think this way. And I'd have said the same at some point in my life. But, I think dichotomy is a great word to describe what I'm going for here. There's a dichotomy between religion and logical thought. I am not saying one cannot use logic within a set of religious beliefs, sure you can.

There are accepted arguments for & against the existence of God within the philosophy of religion. My opinion on this is arrived at AFTER having studied them all. And it is my own opinion. And I happen to think it's the best :)
    My opinion (which I think is best :wink: ) is different from yours. I happen to think all meaningful communication or thinking proceeds according to underlying “logical” principles. If religious thought is to be coherent or meaningful, it has to be consistent with or conform to “logic.” So, I’d deny the statement is true. Logic functions like “light” in the mind. Just as we cannot see things in the material world without physical light, so we cannot “see” intellectual or mental truths without the “light” of logic/reason. Religious beliefs, at least in Catholic Christianity, are not contrary to reason and can be coherently discussed and explained using reason.
  • kgchisholm
    kgchisholm Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think people of DIFFERENT religions could get along fine, since the basic "I believe in a greater being _______ that is responsible for all of this" would be there. Yeah, the details would be different, but the FAITH would be the same.

Atheists/Agnostics and religious partners just don't mix, I think. I personally could never date or marry a religious person, but not because I am being selfish or would be annoyed by them. My thought is that if you TRULY are a religious, faithful person, it is a major part of your life. I would feel so, so awful that I did not believe/support/share in something so fundamental to my loved ones life. I feel like a good partner would do those things, and so I wouldn't be an adequate person for them. They'd have the same problem with me.

I respect religion, but do not share it. I think you need to at least be like-minded to work.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Then why do so many Christians get up in arms when people want to remove the Ten Commandments from courthouses?

I don't know, I'm not one of them. Yes, this country was founded by religious men and founded on Christian principles, but if the government wants to remove those parts of history from their buildings, let them. It won't affect me or my beliefs.

The reason why Christians get upset if the 10 Commandments are removed is because our country was founded upon Judea-Christian beliefs. Our founding fathers wanted us to have freedom of religion and not freedom from religion.

So, just having the 10 Commandments in courtrooms should not offensive, it is part of our history. If I went to a Muslim country and they had Muslim law on their walls, I would not be offended.

For everyone that says that Christians are not tolerant, I agree, there are very intolerant Christians. Just as there are intolerant Atheists. Atheists often attack Christians by saying, "I read the whole Bible" Or, "I believe in Science", "if you were able to think clearly you would see that there is no God." "I am highly intelligent and only idiots believe in God."

And guess what, those words are very offensive. I have no problem with a person not believing in Jesus or God. That is truly your choice. I may disagree with you on this issue, but this does not make me stupid or you stupid.

If I went to India and they had a Buddha on their government property, I would not be offended, India is a Buddhist country...I accept their beliefs. As a Christian, I am just saying accept our beliefs and do not get offended it you see a cross or a picture of baby Jesus. The US is a "Christian" nation. Now, if the government starts forcing people to believe in God and accept Jesus or they will be persecuted, then that is wrong and I would fight tooth and nail against that. Just like the Westboro Baptist Church...they are vile people and if they ever protested a funeral here, I would stand in front of them to protect the family of the fallen soldier.
    all of those countries are lacking one thing that the united states has, though. the establishment clause. by having only the 10 commandments or a cross or a nativity seen or what have you on government property, they are putting christianity over every single other religion practiced in the united states.
    if they're going to have christian elements, they need to have elements for every other religion, too.
    the establishment clause also bans a national religion, so no, we are not a christian country anymore than we are a pastafarian country.

The United States was founded upon Judeo-Christian beliefs. We can not change history. It is what it is. And by having a nativity scene on govt property for Christmas is not offensive. And by having the 10 commandments or a nativity scene on government property is not the govt endorsing a religion. It should not make anyone feel inferior by seeing a nativity scene at Christmas? Please tell me that we are not getting so hyper-sensitive that seeing the 10 Commandments offends us. Again, the government is not forcing anyone to believe in God or Jesus.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    According to the Bible, you should "kill" non-believers, so why don't you do that?
    I believe you're misreading the Ten Commandments.

Also ignoring the New Testament.

The first sign of someone who is ignorant of the Bible and Christianity is when they start quoting Mosaic Law written more than a thousand years before Christ existed and asking why Christians don't follow those laws.

Exactly. We live under the new covenant that Jesus created with God when he died for our sins. That got rid of the old covenant with all of the Old Testament laws that people love to quote and ask why we don't follow those. And basically all you are supposed to do under Jesus is love your neighbor as yourself and follow him, that's it. When you think about it, most sins/crimes would be eradicated if everyone just loved each other. You wouldn't kill them, wouldn't lie to them, wouldn't steal from them, wouldn't cheat on them, etc.

And I think love is something that EVERYONE can agree on, regardless of your religion, demonination, beliefs, etc.
    Yes, I just read about how that Christian love has induced many gay teens in Minnesota to commit suicide from all the constant "Christian" bullying they were subject to at school. Unfortunately, all Christians don't follow the tenets supposedly laid down by Christ himself.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Well done for thinking about the future and having the conversation. I really couldn't say whether you should go ahead or not but your chances of success are already greater - whether with this man or another! Before getting married we went to a great talk (given by a solicitor) on marriage and what breaks it . I suppose that he was undermining his own business -perhaps just fed-up with warring couples messing up his office and using all his tissues. He said that differing approaches to money and children were top trouble-makers and misunderstandings on fundamental things often came from assumptions made before the wedding took place. He then gave us some worksheets to do so that couples could compare answers and find out what they hadn't been talking about during all their romantic meetings! We completed the questions alone and in silence but it was an amazingly noisy session once the worksheets were placed alongside each other. The questions were about such basic ordinary things (Shopping priorities were listed - AND more serious things like how many/if any children)but couples found that their answers were very different indeed! . Religion was in there. Can differing religious veiws live together? Our extended family has a quite a range of beliefs (Quaker - Pagan - Athiest and Hindu/Buddist) but manages very well. We disagree about lots of other things too. (We do talk a lot though!)
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Wow. I was going to say it didn't matter to me, but I guess it would.

I'm athiest so I don't think I could date a believer. But then again, I wouldn't think a believer could date me either. If we were just different religions, I could say the potato potato thing, but i don't think someone could date me when i say there is no such thing as either. (and vice versa)

I think that it comes down to the individual and their beliefs. more than just believing or not. More an more people have a "spiritual" acknowledgement, but dont go to "church" because of the fire and brimstone attitudes.

Love is of the heart and soul. When you truly love someone, you love EVERYTHING that makes them who they are. Not just pieces to their puzzle. You dont have to like pieces, but you do love the person. Why allow something such as a belief be a deterrence for what could be the greatest experience in your life....sharing your journey with another in love?

its just too much of a fundamental issue with me. trying to make a point here without offending ... but it'd be a dealbreaker for me. I dont think i could get past the fact someone believes in what ~i~ think is an imaginary friend.

but my imaginary friend is awesome ;p

anyhoo, I used to think it was important but I grew out of it with time and education. there's is probably something out there but who knows what's right. maybe there isn't, ether way it's just one more thing to argue about if you really want to turn it into an argument. but if there is a god or whatever I don't think we would want us to fight over if he exists or doesn't, or who know him better and all that other bs that religion does some times.

ok now that should offend some people enough to shrink my friends list ;p
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    My last relationship ended because he is Agnostic and I am a Christian. We finally had the "religion talk" and he said he wouldn't allow his children to go to church. That was a big deal to me, considering I grew up going to church 2x/week. I told him I couldn't raise children without bringing them to church, so we broke up.

Now that we have been apart for several months, I have been actually excited to meet someone with the same beliefs as me, because I have never made religion a priority in my dating life before.

Well..now my ex has changed his tune a little, and says he'd allow his children to go to church. He misses me, still loves me, etc, etc, and wants to get back together. Great! But is he going to ignore everything relating to God except the going to church part? For example, if I am having a conversation about God to my kids, is he just going to leave the room? I really don't see how I can keep God in my life AND my ex at the same time.

How important do you think it is to date someone who has the same religious beliefs as you? I want your opinions, please!

I think that if you are a Christian and your relationship with Christ is the most important thing, it would be very difficult to marry someone and have children with them if they do not believe the same thing and want the same thing for your children. It will cause a lot of heart ache and conflict down the road. Read what the Bible says about being equally yolked and marriage and maybe that will give you some direction. I don't think just attending church is the issue here, it is what you want your kids to believe and how you want them raised. I would speak with someone from your church and get their advice as well. Right now while you are not married and don't have kids it doesn't seem like a big deal, but when you have to make hard decisions and explain different things to your children, it is very important that you and your spouse are on the same page.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    After all I've said this far, I could not be in a relationship with a religious nut.
  • calpollyana
    Options
    I haven't read all the other responses, but I am writing this from experience. I married and agnostic when I was a wishy washy sort of religious person, and at the time I didn't think it was too big of a deal. I became a born again Christian two years into the marriage, and my husband is now an atheist. It is not something I would ever recommend!
    We have an incredible marriage with respect for one another's beliefs. I don't waste time trying to convert him, and he doesn't ever mock or belittle my beliefs. I homeschool, teach the bible, the kids do awana at church, and I am very involved in ministry...but it can be very lonely. If you are truly wanting to live a biblical lifestyle and raise your children accordingly, it is confusing for them to have an unbelieving father.
    If you are truly wanting to follow the teaching of the Lord Jesus Christ and to please Him above all things, then this is a no brainer. The Bible is very clear not to be unequally yoked and gives a thorough explanation as to why it is wrong for Christian to marry an unbeliever. Obedience is in "doing" the word of God, not just hearing it. If you are merely a religious person who is going through the motions of church and following rules, then it may not matter to you, but if you have been born again and have a true relationship (born of the spirit) with Jesus Christ, you will only seek to please Him in this decision. Only you can answer that.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    One of my friends is pretty religious (regular churchgoer) and her husband is an atheist. Before getting married and having kids they came to an agreement on church. He agrees to go to church for major holidays with her family as a non-believer, and she can take their child (and future) to church, and he will not attend outside of those special holidays.

They are well-matched other than religion and politics, and this hasn't been an issue. They had also been friends for 10 years before dating.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Then why do so many Christians get up in arms when people want to remove the Ten Commandments from courthouses?

I don't know, I'm not one of them. Yes, this country was founded by religious men and founded on Christian principles, but if the government wants to remove those parts of history from their buildings, let them. It won't affect me or my beliefs.

The reason why Christians get upset if the 10 Commandments are removed is because our country was founded upon Judea-Christian beliefs. Our founding fathers wanted us to have freedom of religion and not freedom from religion.

So, just having the 10 Commandments in courtrooms should not offensive, it is part of our history. If I went to a Muslim country and they had Muslim law on their walls, I would not be offended.

For everyone that says that Christians are not tolerant, I agree, there are very intolerant Christians. Just as there are intolerant Atheists. Atheists often attack Christians by saying, "I read the whole Bible" Or, "I believe in Science", "if you were able to think clearly you would see that there is no God." "I am highly intelligent and only idiots believe in God."

And guess what, those words are very offensive. I have no problem with a person not believing in Jesus or God. That is truly your choice. I may disagree with you on this issue, but this does not make me stupid or you stupid.

If I went to India and they had a Buddha on their government property, I would not be offended, India is a Buddhist country...I accept their beliefs. As a Christian, I am just saying accept our beliefs and do not get offended it you see a cross or a picture of baby Jesus. The US is a "Christian" nation. Now, if the government starts forcing people to believe in God and accept Jesus or they will be persecuted, then that is wrong and I would fight tooth and nail against that. Just like the Westboro Baptist Church...they are vile people and if they ever protested a funeral here, I would stand in front of them to protect the family of the fallen soldier.

Very well said.

Not well said. Didn't answer my question at all.

If the Old Testament is irrelevant, then so are the Ten Commandments. So what's the big deal if they're removed from the courtroom?
    What is the big deal in leaving it? How does it offend you?
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Athesists makes me sad.:frown: I feel bad that they do notblive in Jesus Christ. You all should rent or find the DVD series th Turth project and tat might open your eyes. Hell isscary adni woul dno want to face it. Will be praying for ALL athesists tonight

People that are atheists are usually atheists because of the extensive research done on religion.

if they did their "extensive" research they would see that God is real and that he sent his only son down to save us from sin. They would see he does exist. it is called faith
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Athesists makes me sad.:frown: I feel bad that they do notblive in Jesus Christ. You all should rent or find the DVD series th Turth project and tat might open your eyes. Hell isscary adni woul dno want to face it. Will be praying for ALL athesists tonight

People that are atheists are usually atheists because of the extensive research done on religion.

if they did their "extensive" research they would see that God is real and that he sent his only son down to save us from sin. They would see he does exist. it is called faith

It's called faith, not fact. You just agreed with me.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I was going to say I was shocked by the slamming on all sides, and then I remembered that this is the Internet. I think the generalizations are based on the squeaky wheel syndrome. You have fringe that are the most vocal and identify themselves as Christian/Catholic/Muslim/Jewish/Atheist and so on, and if their statements get people worked up, people respond with an attack of said religious group. The danger of the squeaky wheel is they tend to hijack the religion they claim to be a part of and effectively silence the majority. Fred Phelps, John Hagee, Ted Haggard and Terry Jones are not representative of Christians, pedophile priests are not representative of Catholics, 9/11 hijackers are not representative of Sunni Muslims, Kach and Kahane Chai and Baruch Goldstein are not representative of Jews...so when we say "Christians say..." or "Atheists say..." we should step back and question who we're actually speaking about. There's plenty of reasons to dislike loud-mouth people on an individual level, no need to lump in a couple million unwitting people into the attack.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think if he truly loved you, he wouldn't have said that in the first place. Love conquering all is true when it come to things like political or religious beliefs, and if it doesn't then it just isn't meant to be.

My boyfriend isn't very religious at all (I wouldn't go so far as to say atheist, but ..) and neither am I, really. But I went to church every Sunday growing up and I believe it gave me some important values so I want to bring my children up going to church. My boyfriend, although it doesn't fit perfectly in with his particular set of values, agreed.

The bottom line, I suppose, is to do what makes you happiest. Personally, I've had a similar situation where I was dating a very redneck conservative wanna-be cowboy who wanted guns in the house, and bring our family up Catholic (I was raised United Christian) and hated gay people (I and many of my friends are bisexual/gay). I am very liberal-minded and tolerant of others and I hate guns and what they stand for. Needless to say that our differences in perspectives resulted in the demise of the relationship. It's best when you can find common ground in your relationship, or it's very difficult to truly see eye-to-eye and be genuinely happy with one another.
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    After all I've said this far, I could not be in a relationship with a religious nut.

You do realise that the OP is a Christian!

I don't think she wants to hear you name calling "stupid, nut" Christians etc in here, so bugger off!

There are always a few in here...