who started carbs for breakfast?

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Clinical trials? Research ?? The assertion that our ancestors did not eat grains is questionable at best, it would be reasonable to believe that our ancestors would not have eaten anything approaching a homogeneous diet. Those living in areas where grains grew wild would, no doubt, have observed animals eating the wild grasses and seeds and logic would dictate that a hunter gatherer society would eat whatever is readily available.

I guess it would be too much to expect citations to support assertions.

Sorry, no sale.
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    People should stick with what works for them.

I for one will take the FAT and PROTEIN please since they are the two nutritious macro nutrients (carbs just provide energy and we can get that from fat – eaten or stored). When I eat carbs they come in the form of veggies as much as possible. I skip fruit and grains. Empty calories and not very good sources of vitamins (exception being C). Meat meat and more meat pls!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    People should stick with what works for them.

I for one will take the FAT and PROTEIN please since they are the two nutritious macro nutrients (carbs just provide energy and we can get that from fat – eaten or stored). When I eat carbs they come in the form of veggies as much as possible. I skip fruit and grains. Empty calories and not very good sources of vitamins (exception being C). Meat meat and more meat pls!

That sounds very much like a book I just read. The statement on fruits in particular.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Clinical trials? Research ?? The assertion that our ancestors did not eat grains is questionable at best, it would be reasonable to believe that our ancestors would not have eaten anything approaching a homogeneous diet. Those living in areas where grains grew wild would, no doubt, have observed animals eating the wild grasses and seeds and logic would dictate that a hunter gatherer society would eat whatever is readily available.

I guess it would be too much to expect citations to support assertions.

Sorry, no sale.

Perhaps video would be better for you? http://perfecthumandiet.us/
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Note: I am NOT a conspiracy theorist in any way, but I am a realist. A number of years ago I did a consulting project for the USDA, and I learned that they aren't an impartial bunch of regulators. They also promote sales of US agricultural products, and they work closely with the producers. In addition to that, the agricultural lobby is HUGE and *very* rich, and they really really want USDA to recommend that people eat a lot of dairy and grains.

So no, I do not trust dietary recommendations from USDA, at all.

Every conspiracy theorist I've ever heard from (and believe me, I've heard from A LOT) also considers themselves to be a realist. Like you they then go on to assert they're right with anecdotal, unverifiable evidence. Oddly enough it seems they too always "work somewhere" or "know a guy" who gave them the real truth the rest of us are just too common to get. They tell you to use your head, ignore large government agencies who have represented the public health and well being for decades, and trust them, complete strangers on the internet.

So no. Until I get solid evidence otherwise I will trust the United States Department of Agriculture over the story I read from agentscully51.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    whos bright idea was it to eat carbs and breads for breakfast? where is the logic? i would take an egg and bacon and a little cheese any day. makes me feel great with no crash!

I think its called, balance.
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am following keto. It works for me. I haven't read Zoe Harcombe's book yet. I don't need to read her book to know the statement is true.

edit: plus I eat plenty of processed meat so I don't think I could follow her diet. I eat bacon daily. Hence my name.
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    I find this evidence fairly interesting. http://www.gnolls.org/1086/the-lipid-hypothesis-has-officially-failed-part-1-of-many/

You may also want to check out some of the articals here if you want more in depth details http://www.gnolls.org/
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    What the hell is breakfast? I don't eat it. I mean I do, but I eat it for lunch and I assume that's not what you mean.

(seriously - the person who first thought "I guess I will have carbs for breakfast" was you know, everyone in the course of human civilization who did not HAVE any other food readily available besides a store of grains? Which is more or less all of human existance? Just like the person who woke up and thought "I will have protein and fat for breakfast!" is every hunter ever who only had dried meat because thats what they'd learned to store?)
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I prefer to have a mix of carbs, fat, and protein for breakfast, like I do for most meals. Boring maybe, but it works for me.
  • Acg67
    Options
    I am following keto. It works for me. I haven't read Zoe Harcombe's book yet. I don't need to read her book to know the statement is true.

edit: plus I eat plenty of processed meat so I don't think I could follow her diet. I eat bacon daily. Hence my name.

There are things like phytonutrients that I think you discount when just saying fruits are good for Vit C and not much else. But i'm all for increasing bacon consumption in lieu of fruits
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    whos bright idea was it to eat carbs and breads for breakfast? where is the logic? i would take an egg and bacon and a little cheese any day. makes me feel great with no crash!

I'm so glad you know everything. I've been lost without you.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I find this evidence fairly interesting. http://www.gnolls.org/1086/the-lipid-hypothesis-has-officially-failed-part-1-of-many/

You may also want to check out some of the articals here if you want more in depth details http://www.gnolls.org/
    I'm pretty sure gnolls are a hyena-humanoid beast in Azeroth. I wouldn't take dietary advice from them
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    What the hell is breakfast? I don't eat it. I mean I do, but I eat it for lunch and I assume that's not what you mean.

(seriously - the person who first thought "I guess I will have carbs for breakfast" was you know, everyone in the course of human civilization who did not HAVE any other food readily available besides a store of grains? Which is more or less all of human existance? Just like the person who woke up and thought "I will have protein and fat for breakfast!" is every hunter ever who only had dried meat because thats what they'd learned to store?)

I do feel the need to point out that grains have only exsisted for about 10,000 years. Where as humans have been around for almost 2 million years.
  • Acg67
    Options

"“Heart-healthy whole grains” are mostly carbohydrates, which is to say: sugar. The glycemic index of “heart-healthy” whole wheat bread (72) is greater than that of Skittles (71). Metabolically, a whole wheat bagel is the same as two bags of Skittles."

::SIGH::
  • AlanAragon
    AlanAragon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What someone has for breakfast should be based on personal preference & tolerance. If someone likes to have grains for breakfast & feels/performs great, and is either making progress ot maintaining results, then there's no good reason to change a thing. Sure, there will always be folks who have a silly religious zeal against grains (& carbs in general), but the common thread you'll notice among them is a strong tendency to cherry-pick the evidence, or misunderstand/misinterpret it. Grains, like anything else, are perfectly fine in moderation. If you simply don't like them or cannot tolerate them, then this is your own personal situation that shouldn't be blanketly projected upon the world around you.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options

I do feel the need to point out that grains have only exsisted for about 10,000 years. Where as humans have been around for almost 2 million years.
    are you effing kidding me?
    brick.gif
  • Acg67
    Options

First check your sources on how long modern humans have been around

Then read,

The broad spectrum revisited: Evidence from plant remains. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004 June 29; 101(26): 9551–9555.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC470712/?tool=pubmed

Now, however, a collection of >90,000 plant remains, recently recovered from the Stone Age site Ohalo II (23,000 B.P.), Israel, offers insights into the plant foods of the late Upper Paleolithic. The staple foods of this assemblage were wild grasses, pushing back the dietary shift to grains some 10,000 years earlier than previously recognized. Besides the cereals (wild wheat and barley), small-grained grasses made up a large component of the assemblage, indicating that the BSR in the Levant was even broader than originally conceived, encompassing what would have been low-ranked plant foods. Over the next 15,000 years small-grained grasses were gradually replaced by the cereals and ultimately disappeared from the Levantine diet.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You can blame Dr. Kellog. :wink:

that's what i was going to say! :D
This discussion has been closed.