Steroids and Dating and Attraction

Options

Replies

• Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've not read all the replies, but after first hand experience of having to take steroids for 6 months (due to a severe medical problem) I would NOT be with somebody who uses steroids, I know mine were taken orally and not injected but the mood swings I suffered where horrendous and I wouldn't want to take them they choice!! To me from what I've seen on this site people can get phenomenal bodies without the use of steroids! I don't have a particular type but HUGE pumped up bodies I don't find attractive x
    So were you on anabolic steroids?

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I was referring to steroids in general!! From what I have heard anabolic steroids and the type I took BOTH affect the moods!!
  • wee_wolfie
    wee_wolfie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As long as he is not emotionally unbalanced or ever dared lay a finger on me in anger, then I wouldn't care if a guy used steroids or not. I would have plastic surgery if I could afford it and I like a drop of the sauce at the weekend, so who would I be to judge? It's obviously more impressive if he is a hulking beast from sheer hard work and lots of food, but it's his flesh at the end of the day.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    If they were legal, and cheaper I would have used them in the past. No reason to now.

But I have never used anything, ever, and was a member of the American Drug Free Powerlifting Associate in the 90's when i did lift competitively.

All the negative side effects, and problems that I have heard of, and seen are nearly always the result of overuse, or abuse.

Side note, I have never worked out with the goal of being more attractive to anyone. I work out for me.............but my wife digs me.

You know what's interesting. They are cheap, if you think of protein shakes, creatine, and other little supplements. Add that together in a monthly bill, it would be cheaper to use. It's more of a moral decision.

I spend $14.95 on supplements a month, one 2lb tub of body fortress from walmart. I would be impressed if you could find anabolic steroids for that price.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I was referring to steroids in general!! From what I have heard anabolic steroids and the type I took BOTH affect the moods!!
    Unfounded. While some steroids can affect people with mood issues that are already prevalent, they haven't been found to CAUSE actual mood issues.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I REALLY wanted to "juice" along with many of the dudes in the gym who were making great gains and competing. Problem for me was that I was a broke starving student who was using what little money I had to pay for a gym membership, my gas for my car, my car insurance and food. So steroids weren't affordable.
    As I grew older, I didn't compete as much so the desire for steroids declined tremendously since after this time I was very much involved with working rather then hitting the gym super hard (I still trained, just not like I used to). I kept my physique pretty much intact and eventually went the route of becoming a PT.
    Here's the thing, had I been on them and got off, I would have gotten smaller. That's inevitable. Even with PCT, you're going to reduce in size unless you get back on cycle.
    I've been close to the same size (give or take 10lbs) for the last 20 years now and am glad I haven't had the issues that some of my former gym pals do with having to still juice to keep their desired size. I'm vain, but not that vain.
    That said, if people want to do them safely, then it's none of my business.

IDEA Fitness member
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    this is my man wooo!
    brock-lesnar-workout-picture.jpg
    His tattoo makes me giggle
  • jeni3004
    jeni3004 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have been in a relationship with a man who did steroids. Everything else aside roid rage is no joke and I would never date anything who took steroids again.

A good analogy is steroids are like alcohol... they can increase the persons normal state. A person who is always mad and drinks would probably be an angry drunk, compared to someone who is always happy, they will be a happy drunk.

I would disagree with this. Alcohol is a depressant, even if someone appears happy while they are drinking, it's still a depressant and often that crash comes later on. I am a very positive happy calm person, when I drink I am happier and love everybody, once I start to come down though, I crash hard emotionally. So...it is a depressant, no matter who drinks it. I choose to just stay away from it altogether as it's not worth it for me! :)
  • jeni3004
    jeni3004 Posts: 9
    Options
    I've yet to hear anyone address the ethical part of it within sports. I don't discount hard work people put into it their sport/craft. However, where is the line drawn with what is okay to aid an athlete? I admire the hell out of Konstantinovs (world class powerlifter), but if I found out he was using steroids in order to aid his training, as the corny ad campaign says, it would kind of put an asterisk next to his name. It makes it hard to aspire to be like someone when you know this.

I've even read on other sites where people ask "Where does the natural competitor come into play?" and the response tends to be "They don't." That's the biggest issue I take with steroid use. That if you want to truly compete in strength sports, the mentality is that you have to use steroids to do so.

I struggle with this one. I am a huge Ryan Braun fan and when he went through his little dramatic event recently I had this conversation with many people. Part of me says "may the best man win!" If you are willing to spend extra money, time, or risk your fertility to be the best athlete you can be, who am I to judge? The reality is that knowledge, resources, and money are what makes the world go round, not just in sports. If you have the ability to find something that makes you even better at what you do and you can afford to do it, why should anyone have a say in it? When it comes to sports like baseball, you still have to be good to go some where. Steroids alone aren't going to make that bat meet that ball. They just might enhance what you are already capable of doing.
  • tito_diaz
    tito_diaz Posts: 32
    Options
    I would absolutely try taking steroids! I would not ABUSE them thou. I would do my research first thou. Steroids helps tons of people and as long as taken in moderation they aren't a problem. That being said they are not something I have sought out but would definitely not say I would never take them. Just my two cents
  • tito_diaz
    tito_diaz Posts: 32
    Options
    And I didn't read all 9 pages of this topic (sorry) but if you haven't seen the movie bigger stronger faster, I suggest you see it!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I've yet to hear anyone address the ethical part of it within sports. I don't discount hard work people put into it their sport/craft. However, where is the line drawn with what is okay to aid an athlete? I admire the hell out of Konstantinovs (world class powerlifter), but if I found out he was using steroids in order to aid his training, as the corny ad campaign says, it would kind of put an asterisk next to his name. It makes it hard to aspire to be like someone when you know this.

I've even read on other sites where people ask "Where does the natural competitor come into play?" and the response tends to be "They don't." That's the biggest issue I take with steroid use. That if you want to truly compete in strength sports, the mentality is that you have to use steroids to do so.

I struggle with this one. I am a huge Ryan Braun fan and when he went through his little dramatic event recently I had this conversation with many people. Part of me says "may the best man win!" If you are willing to spend extra money, time, or risk your fertility to be the best athlete you can be, who am I to judge? The reality is that knowledge, resources, and money are what makes the world go round, not just in sports. If you have the ability to find something that makes you even better at what you do and you can afford to do it, why should anyone have a say in it? When it comes to sports like baseball, you still have to be good to go some where. Steroids alone aren't going to make that bat meet that ball. They just might enhance what you are already capable of doing.

Good comment.

The other piece of this that people fail to realize is that you don't just grow when you inject. If you don't eat right and have a good lifting program the steroids do nothing for you.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have been in a relationship with a man who did steroids. Everything else aside roid rage is no joke and I would never date anything who took steroids again.

A good analogy is steroids are like alcohol... they can increase the persons normal state. A person who is always mad and drinks would probably be an angry drunk, compared to someone who is always happy, they will be a happy drunk.

I would disagree with this. Alcohol is a depressant, even if someone appears happy while they are drinking, it's still a depressant and often that crash comes later on. I am a very positive happy calm person, when I drink I am happier and love everybody, once I start to come down though, I crash hard emotionally. So...it is a depressant, no matter who drinks it. I choose to just stay away from it altogether as it's not worth it for me! :)

That's not what "depressant" means in this context: it simply means that it slows the speed of signals though your nervous system, causing symptoms like slurred speech and clumsiness. It does not refer to any effect on mood, although it is true that through things like social context and underinhibited behaviour, many people do experience a mood crash as they sober up, but that is not universal, and is not a direct result of the depressant drug.
  • sheppuh
    sheppuh Posts: 39
    Options
    This is an interesting topic! There's definitely pressure for men to meet certain societal standards of attractiveness: a toned, muscular physique with a pronounced v-taper. Hell, I even remember when I was a little kid that the action figures I played with had chests like upside-down triangles that were ludicrously vascular - Schwarzenegger, action heroes, that whole deal. Anyway, there's definitely pressure to meet that sort of expectation of aesthetic beauty. It's kind of embarrassing, but I had that sort of fleeting fantasy of "what if I took steroids." Ultimately I reached the conclusion that most other people on this discussion did - it feels like too much of a shortcut , and as a former athlete it feels like cheating. I know a lot of hard work is required in addition to taking steroids to achieve the really explosive results, but I think people should just stick with what's natural for the most part.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    A lot of misinformation in this thread in the beginning but luckily Niner was here to the rescue :) (and a few others)

I have never done a cycle of steriods but I am on prescription HRT. It's the same stuff as you would use if you were on a cycle but you take it once every few weeks instead of every second day. To those who say it affects you're mood, yes it does. For me, prior to HRT I was eating well, getting my 8hrs of sleep a night & waking up feeling like I hadn't slept a wink. Now, I do exactly the same but don't feel like ****!

I find it funny how people say steroids are cheating though. If you are not in some sort of professional competition, who is it cheating?

What I think is ridiculous is guys who suddenly decide to get on a health kick, go to the gym for 2 months, reach their first plateau and think they need steroids to get past it. THAT is stupid! I know of guys who are deadlifting 1rm 1.25x BW and using steroids. I'm pretty sure you are NO WAY NEAR you're genetic potential.

So funny that people think you have a cycle and instantly you have "balloon muscles" :laugh:

P.S I won't date a girl that smokes. No moral issues, they just stink :tongue:
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    P.S I won't date a girl that smokes. No moral issues, they just stink :tongue:

Remember if she smokes, she pokes lol.

I had a well thought out response, then the site went down for maintenance when I hit "reply."

First off, I'm a police officer and if not for the illegality of steroids, I'd use a cycle or two during the year. Now remember, there is use and abuse. Bodybuilders, along with hard work and impeccable diet, abuse steroids...as evident by their "pregnant" belly. Remember, they were legal and the FDA and DEA both fought against them becoming illegal when Congress decided to pass a law.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    when I take dhea, arginine, and lysine together I feel like I'm on some kind of steroids, although I never have been.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    when I take dhea, arginine, and lysine together I feel like I'm on some kind of steroids, although I never have been.

*facepalm*

I bet you read that in a Muscletech ad?
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    THIS IS AN OPEN DISCUSSION.

Okay let's face it, women love muscles and are immediately attracted to a strong looking male - sociobiological theory and whatnot. That said, the temptation of anabolic steroids or prohormones or anything of the sort is pretty strong amongst men, whether they admit it or not. I, for one, have FLEETINGLY (I stress fleetingly here) thought about it. I'd never ever do it though, as I've come to the simple conclusion that I would not be happy with myself if I did (not even going into the illegality of it - not worth it). I could never be proud of my accomplishments, although I do agree it takes massive amounts of work as well. I simply could not respect myself for going that route. I'm young enough where I can still reach my genetic limit by the time I'm in my lower/mid-30s, and I'm more than fine with that.

QUESTION FOR THE WOMEN: Would you ever date/marry a man who has used/uses steroids or prohormones? Would you be able to respect them? Because after the first impressions of physical attraction, a conscious effort has to be made to overcome that, once knowing he shoots himself in the butt with steroids lol. Would that be morally a dealbreaker for you? Granted, this may be a morality issue, as I'm sure lots of people here use recreational drugs and whatnot and steroids can be arguably defended as safer than prescription pill poppers looking to get high.

QUESTION FOR THE MEN: Have you thought about using, or have used (if you're man enough to admit it lol)? And do you respect the guys who do use them?

OH and I'm not talking about Ronnie Coleman/Phil Heath/Freakishly big people. I mean people who are jacked but would make it hard to determine if they've used or not.

DISCUSS.

christian-bale-machinist.jpg
    markmcguire-gotjuice.jpg
    65146_442898812225_351749002225_5052141_5165690_n.jpg
    Landis-looking-down-at-presser.jpg

Dunno. There's an incredibly cut, manly man at work when he takes his shirt off it's quite surprising.

But he's a complete tosser and I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

My first husband was 150kg or soemthing, very round. I didn't care.

My current lover is 70kg, very skinny. I don't care.

It's the nature of the person that matters. I don't know if I'd consider steroids to be a moral issue but I certainly would consider them a lack of self confidence issue, and I suppose I'd be concerned, but if they weren't going into rages and trying to beat me up I don't have an issue other than that it's not necessary.
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    No I would stay with someone who was still using them but if they've stopped and they are definately in the past then we may have a future. We all have stuff in our past we'd like to get past
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    In on discussion.

As far as women go, I think a lot of them (men also) don't have a good enough understanding of steroids or pro hormones. I know my girlfriend is completely against the thought of me taking them.

I've personally thought about both and don't feel that it should affect my relationship. I wouldn't want to feel guilty or feel that I have to hide my use though. I don't think it's something to be ashamed of.
    Anabolics got a bad label, similar to the way marijuana is looked down upon when it's really not that dangerous. People fear what they don't understand.

I plan on taking prohormones this summer (epistane) to get my bulk started. I honestly leaned towards steroids because they're actually a bit easier on your body IMO, but finding them is a little harder since they're illegal.