Why do women put on makeup and do their hair for the gym???

Options

Replies

• ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I never could wear much makeup or my face would break out , but maybe a little eyeliner to feel pretty. What is funny is that the guys don't really care at the gym. They're focusing on making themselves look better. True story : one day at the gym I was feeling good about myself while working out on the elliptical. I kept getting stares from all the guys ! I thought I was the bomb ! It made me workout harder and faster than ever before. I loved being center of attention. When I was done and stepped off the machine to wipe it clean I noticed there was a tv mounted on the wall behind me and the guys were keeping up with the football game !!!! Lmao ! Will never forget !!!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I don't agree that it's vanity. I think it's a lack of self confidence.

I couldn't disagree with that generalization more.

I feel naked without some eyeliner and mascara, and I have makeup on at the gym usually because I've just come from work...has nothing to do with my self confidence, I've actually got plenty of that :) I just like looking cute! Never know when you're going to meet somebody important!
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    If I have makeup on it's only because I am there after work. I wouldn't purposefully put on a full face of makeup to go to the gym. Either way I don't really pay much attention to what other people are doing/wearing.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    There's a larger societal question that has always intrigued me. Why do we expect women to cover their face with makeup in the first place? It's a burdensome expectation, especially when guys are exempted from it. You could say, "To look cute", but that is a tautology. Plus, why must one put colors on their face to achieve that?

Personally, I've come to the conclusion that makeup is the great equalizer. It allows people of average looks to improve their attractiveness in order to better compete with those that are naturally pretty.

I wish society were different and we could all just be natural but my guess is that it will never change. There will always be those that take advantage of primitive sexual visual cues (e.g. red lips) to up the ante against others who choose to a more natural or subtle appearance.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    How I feel when women are jealous of hotter women

lB1JF.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

HAHAHAH!!! ^THIS & THIS^
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Better the makeup and hair did than putting on enough perfume for 12 people....ARRGGHHHHH.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with the way I look in the gym without makeup.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I put makeup on before I went for my run/walk because I have some major zits on my chin that I don't want people looking at lol.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I can admit... I always put my hair in a cute messy ponytail or even wear it down... I don't go overboard on makeup but I will wear eyeliner because I just need to lol... And if I go to the gym after I've been somewhere (and I already have makeup) then that's the reason why I have makeup on in the first place
  • careyayn22
    Options
    I never put new makeup on, but I do go with what I have left on for the day or sometimes I reapplied it for something a few hours before I went to the gym (out to dinner, my kid's preschool class, after hours meeting, etc...)
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I actually made up today before going to the gym. i think i like the admiration and the looks from the men at the gym lol
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I can honestly care less about how people look/dress at the gym. As long as they don't interfere with my workouts, I'm good. Unlike this woman who came to workout in booty shorts with her panties sticking out from the bottom. That.. was kinda weird in my book.
  • Brady_
    Brady_ Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm sure a lot of people come from work and stuff where they Do have a face full of make up and hair all pretty
  • lindseym1983
    Options
    It doesn't affect me, this is the random topic and chat so I can post my opinions if I would like. I am not putting anyone down in anything I am giving them a compliment that they don't need to prance around the gym for attention they can get it else where without the monthly membership!
  • lindseym1983
    Options
    How does it affect your workout if someone else dresses in a certain way? This is a silly thing to worry about.
    It doesn't affect me, this is the random topic and chat so I can post my opinions if I would like. I am not putting anyone down in anything I am giving them a compliment that they don't need to prance around the gym for attention they can get it else where without the monthly membership!
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    totally agree what is the point unles they just go to look for a guy, i see some women at my gym sit on a piece of equipment and do nothing just text and look pretty ha ha that is not what you go to the gym for
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I wear my hair down while i woke out because it is more comfortable to me. I wear makeup becuase it doesn't run down my face, and I always match. I look good, bust my *kitten*, and can carry out my day.

I don't see the big deal at all.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    How does it affect your workout if someone else dresses in a certain way? This is a silly thing to worry about.

So they can't look good while they are at the gym too? I don't get it.
  • kettle_belle83
    kettle_belle83 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I really don't care what people look like when they come into the gym. If you want to have your hair done and make-up on so be it. I agree some people probabIy do it for attention, while others just like to look their best at all times. I personally don't go out of my way to look cute when I'm going to workout. I try not to look like a total bum though. I tend to see a lot of people I work with!!! The bottom line is this...if you still look cute at the end of your workout you didn't train hard enough!!!!
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    I'm the girl that looks like total crap at the gym, yes I admit it. Hair is that length where I can't even put it in a pony tail, usually don't even bother brushing it before I hit the gym since it'll be sweat plastered to my face within 10 minutes of working out. I chose not to buy new gym clothes since I figure I'll be shrinking out of them. So I wear one of my husbands beat up t-shirts or my old painting shirt and some faded crappy yoga pants that are to tight. My gym shoes have holes in the toes cuz no way I'm wearing my good walking shoes (they could snag or rub on some of the equiptment) I bring an old clean hand towel to wipe the sweat and a water bottle I got free from work. I find this outfit gets me ignored pretty quick and no one seems to notice what I'm wearing or bother me. I swear there is nothing worse then a Chatty Cathy next to you on the treadmill. I'm not looking for gym buddies. :)

I don't get the getting all dolled up for the gym? Everythings running and dripping by the time your done.