The "Sissifying" of America...

Options

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    You can thank all the f%cking helicopter parents for that.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    It's pathetic. It ruins any drive for competition and improvement. Why is anyone going to want to strive to be the best or push themselves the hardest if their payoff is the same as everyone else's?
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I remember Participation Medals being handed out when I was younger, but everyone knew who WON and who didn't.
    And those with a drive to win and to be better had a goal.
    Now these kids won't have "goals" because they're all unique little snowflakes and every last one of them is perfect.

I am sad for our country.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I agree. There isn't anything more to say than that.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Here's a good one, my high school student wasn't handing the work on time. Well, we go to conferences and the teacher says "He has plenty of time to make it up, I'll let him hand it in late". Hubs is like, "Fail him". Bottom line is, it affects their "numbers" if you have a bunch of kids who fail. They let him slide.

Oh, here's the new thing now you don't get zeros for not handing in work, you get 50% because it brings down the grade too much.

My Dad just tried to explain this too me a month ago and quite honestly I think the principal brain washed him because he doesn't think this way. UGHH that makes me sick

My mom is a high school teacher by day, personal trainer by night, and you bet your *kitten* she has no problem failing a kid for not doing their work. HOWEVER...the way the public education system in Texas is, teachers have almost stopped giving a *kitten* because they force the standardized testing issue down their throats and the whole "no child left behind" crap. Leave some children behind, dammit! Let teachers actually teach, make kids actually work, and if kids don't do the work, they fail. Period.

Omg, and the helicopter parents thing, my mom was a private school principal for a while and those are the WORST. She could go on for hours about those damn helicopter parents!
  • emilyhawarah
    Options
    I also agree fully!! In a healthy world, when we have normal amounts of disappointment, we usually tend to turn that into becoming better.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree with this any more. All it's doing is breeding entitled little brats that grow up to be even bigger entitled brats.
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    100% agreed
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I agree! Thankfully my son went into ROTC in high school and that has really helped him learn life lessons. Why? Because not everyone can be the commander. Not everyone will get promoted and last week before spring break the Major demoted everyone who didn't wear their uniform, including the #2 guy. Is it fair? Probably not. But neither is life.

My kids USED to tell me "that's not fair, Mom" and I would remind them "Get used to it, life isn't fair". Now they tell their friends the whole "Life isn't fair" line. HA!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The crazy thing is that this is supposed to 'help' them, but it leaves them totally unprepared for real life.

They spend their school years constantly being told that they're great, amazing, unique etc and then they enter the world of work with a massively overdeveloped ego and often a correspondingly massive overestimation of their own worth.

I'm sure anyone who has ever interviewed young people as part of a recruitment process knows exactly what that's like. :grumble:
  • GroundhogsDayAgain
    GroundhogsDayAgain Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Every generation thinks the generation following them is bringing down the country. Your kids will be saying the same thing about their kids in 40 to 50 years, lol.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    <---is in agreement! Learning to lose is important and kiddos aren't learing that at all these days.... They aren't being prepared for "real life" when you make them think that they are ALWAYS A "WINNER"... I understand what "they" are trying to do.... instill the "I'm a winner (valuable, etc) anyway" attitude... but having them always "WIN" is not the way to do that... They are basically hamstringing the kiddos and they are going to wake up one day and NOT know how to live in this world... not know how to react to the negative, the "down times", LIFE.... We don't ALWAYS WIN... and that is life.

Edited to add.... It also devalues the actual reward for the winner.... If I work hard and earn something, I don't want to receive the same reward that the slackers received as well... JMO
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids yet, but I already know I will make a point to put them in leagues and schools that support competitive environments. I lost games from hide and seek to soccer tournaments when I was young and yes it is disappointing, but without those life lessons how can we learn to be better?

@ the person whose husband said to fail his kid for not turning in work : I was in a science class in middle school and was doing poorly ( along with a few others). Kids with the lowest grades had to sit in the back of the class ( the last row not like all the way in the back away from everyone) Bet your bottom dollar I worked my *kitten* off to do better and get bumped up. I would have told the teacher to fail my kid too, cant to the time, don't do the time. It is the only way to get through sometimes. Harsh reality
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. We need to stop handling everything with "kid gloves".
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Every generation thinks the generation following them is bringing down the country. Your kids will be saying the same thing about their kids in 40 to 50 years, lol.

While this is pretty true, my mom and grandmother regularly tell me "I'm glad you weren't like that" when referring to kids of today, and I'm only 27!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    We are raising kids to be stupid and confident in America.
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you on this. Growing up I competed on the swim and track teams. When I first started swimming I was 7 or 8 and was horrible. I watched the other kids get to compete and win the blue, red, or white ribbons (first, second, & third). It was my goal to win a ribbon so I practiced!! It was my accomplishment in being able to win that blue ribbon, something to work for.

My son will soon start T-Ball and everyone will get a trophy. I'm not really sure how to handle this yet as I don't feel everyone deserves a trophy for just playing. You are supposed to earn it. I don't want to hurt his feelings but he has to learn that not everyone "wins" a prize. Any ideas on how to handle this?

Diana
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    You can't measure success without failure. There is no value in a scoring system if there are no losers in a competition.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    As a teacher, I tell parents to " let kids fail" all the time. IMO, it's better to domitian as a 6th grader than to learn the lesson in high school.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I also get very aggravated over there never being a second place! There is nothing wrong with showing children that they are not always going to be number one and that's alright. What kind of monsters will they be in the workplace one day? They'll probably expect the boss/bosses to do their jobs for them while they still get praised...lol!