Why Strength Training is better

Options

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Ok, strength training maintains, builds and restores muscle. Ok, cardio helps burn more fat and possibly some muscle in the process. Gee! Can we agree that doing either or both or any of these activities is better than doing none at all? Seems we are on Team Fitness; not Team ST or Team Cardio!!!! And to go a step further, you will get tons of benefits by incorporating intense heavy lifting and strength training in your fitness routine. Personally I feel and look best by utilizing both in my workouts. Cardio invigorates me and I'm not giving it up any sooner than I will give up strength training. :noway: Both important so if you enjoy both I say go ahead and just do it!
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    I'm just getting into the fitness thing. I've been a lazy *kitten* for 11 years now. So, I've been doing cardio only just to get into the rythm of things. I'm going to start doing the machines at my gym here soon. I feel more comfortable right now just doing some cardio. It beats what I was doing.... NOTHING!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    . Ok, cardio helps burn more fat and possibly some muscle in the process

Did you read the original post? Or the linked article? Because it showed that no cardio does NOT burn more fat then strength training.
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ok, I read through the first few pages yesterday and I have a question, related but slightly off course - assuming the article (which I have read and agree with, so if your answer to my question is "The OP/article's wrong", no offence but I don't want to be attacked) is correct and cardio can actually sabotage fat loss - am I sabotaging myself?

I walk to and from work (mostly to save money) which is 4 miles a day at about 3.5 mph up and down some serious hills. My HRM tells me I spend about 1/3 of that in 'Fat Loss' mode (less than 120bpm) and about 2/3 in 'Fitness' mode but I've never understood why working harder would mean I'm no longer losing fat. That first 1/3 is normally when I'm walking downhill or on the flat, and then my heart rate gets really pumped when I'm putting my all into attacking those hills. Technically I'm lifting my weight up those hills (and don't my calves/hams/glutes feel it) but since I hate cardio (really, really hate it) I don't particularly want to put in all that effort if it's not helping me lose fat, as that's my current goal.

BTW, I do lifting at home too, so I'm not just a cardio do-er, but ooooohhhhhh. Just confused on the matter. Any light shed would be helpful. Don't like working out uninformed.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem that these posts are always an either/or situation? Here's an idea - do both. Both strength training and cardio have things going for them. So, don't just lift weights and don't just run.
    I do days of lifting, days of running and days where I do running mixed in with other things like pushups, situps, lunges and crunches.

Exactly. I'm a firm believer that you have to do cardio and strength training to get the best results. But honestly, I don't care what other people do. They're not losing my weight......I'm the only one that can do that.

PREACH GIRL!! :wink: Love it! :flowerforyou:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Ok, I read through the first few pages yesterday and I have a question, related but slightly off course - assuming the article (which I have read and agree with, so if your answer to my question is "The OP/article's wrong", no offence but I don't want to be attacked) is correct and cardio can actually sabotage fat loss - am I sabotaging myself?

The article that references the study mentions that both sets of people were on low calorie diets. From looking at your diary you're not eating low calorie. All the weight training books that advocate strength over cardio still tell you to have aerobic fitness (I think NROLFW states if you can't ride a bike for a couple of hours at a leisurley pace you need to fix that) It's when you're doing low calorie, all cardio that you start to sabotage fat loss.

Also I've seen it stated on here that there is no 'fat loss' stage your heart rate gets to. But I'm not 100% sure on that.
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options

The article that references the study mentions that both sets of people were on low calorie diets. From looking at your diary you're not eating low calorie. All the weight training books that advocate strength over cardio still tell you to have aerobic fitness (I think NROLFW states if you can't ride a bike for a couple of hours at a leisurley pace you need to fix that) It's when you're doing low calorie, all cardio that you start to sabotage fat loss.

Also I've seen it stated on here that there is no 'fat loss' stage your heart rate gets to. But I'm not 100% sure on that.

Thanks - that makes me feel a lot better! I try and make sure I never go below my BMR (which also gives me a margin for error and over-eating) and have been hitting my macros pretty well recently. I'm just never sure what they mean by 'low calorie diets' as I am eating at a deficit.

I've always been a walker and am chuffed because according to my HRM when I bought it a couple months ago, my fitness levels are pretty good, so right now it's more important for me to target that extra layer of fat that's making my clothes not fit! But it's good to know even those who advocate lifting over cardio wouldn't throw cardio out completely :o) I've read NROLFW but for some reason found it really hard going, though I use a lot of the principles.

So maybe I should now re-word my question to "Why does my HRM think below 120 bpm is going to make me burn fat and above 120 bpm is going to make me more fit - and are the two mutually exclusive???"

Thanks again Lozze :flowerforyou:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Thanks - that makes me feel a lot better! I try and make sure I never go below my BMR (which also gives me a margin for error and over-eating) and have been hitting my macros pretty well recently. I'm just never sure what they mean by 'low calorie diets' as I am eating at a deficit.

I've always been a walker and am chuffed because according to my HRM when I bought it a couple months ago, my fitness levels are pretty good, so right now it's more important for me to target that extra layer of fat that's making my clothes not fit! But it's good to know even those who advocate lifting over cardio wouldn't throw cardio out completely :o) I've read NROLFW but for some reason found it really hard going, though I use a lot of the principles.

So maybe I should now re-word my question to "Why does my HRM think below 120 bpm is going to make me burn fat and above 120 bpm is going to make me more fit - and are the two mutually exclusive???"

Thanks again Lozze :flowerforyou:

Look at programs like P90X, insanity, turbo fire, etc.. They are a lot of cardio based/ST based programs. Does it sabbatoge results, probably not. But looking at pure fat loss, if that is your goal, then ST is where you should concentrate your workouts. Now walking to work and etc will just cause you the need for more calories. Keep in mind that your body will adjust to your routine. So if you walk a lot, your body gets used it it and becomes more efficient.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Ok, strength training maintains, builds and restores muscle. Ok, cardio helps burn more fat and possibly some muscle in the process. Gee! Can we agree that doing either or both or any of these activities is better than doing none at all? Seems we are on Team Fitness; not Team ST or Team Cardio!!!! And to go a step further, you will get tons of benefits by incorporating intense heavy lifting and strength training in your fitness routine. Personally I feel and look best by utilizing both in my workouts. Cardio invigorates me and I'm not giving it up any sooner than I will give up strength training. :noway: Both important so if you enjoy both I say go ahead and just do it!

May I ask, how do you know that incorporating both cardio and ST will provide you the best benefits? Have you tried a long period of time where you just did ST vs a long period of time doing just Cardio vs a time where you did both? Otherwise, you are making an assumption. Also, you DO NOT need cardio to get the benefits of a cardio workout. Ever hear of an anaerobic workout? It's ST that incorporates lower and upper body exercise and i have gotten my heart rate up in the 160's doing this.

I know people love to say, this works best or that works best but this isn't based on experiments. Most people start a routine and assume it's best.

I will say, I have someone who did an experience. A 36 year old woman who was eating 1400 calories and doing mostly cardio. Recently, she stopped the cardio for 60 days and did only heavy lifting and eating 2100 calories on workout days and 1800 on none. Here is her PM to me 60 days later.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"

Oh and I saw the pictures and it's a huge difference. And this thread is only looking at fat loss and not fitness overall.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'd rather look like Misha Tate on the right, or Ronda Rousy on the left

Miesha_Tate_and_Ronda_Rousey_Strikeforce_3_10032722.jpg

I'm certain they Strength AND endurance are both on their daily agenda!

and I would not wish to look like either of them.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Seriously do people even READ the original post? Because all these stupid people coming in crying 'I love cardio' have clearly not. The article isn't talking about health. It isn't talking about endurance. It's talking about FAT LOSS. The best exercise for fat loss is doing weights. FAT LOSS.

I LOVE my cardio. It helps me keep my mood in check, the feeling after running for 20 minutes has me high. I walk for 30 minutes every day to get my cardio in. If I'm at the gym I do high intensity cardio for 30 minutes (I'm not someone who generally does more than that. I've got better things to do with my time then spend hours at the gym) I love cardio.

BUT I lift heavy. I'm focusing on that because it's the best thing to give me the body I want. One that is not squishy. One that looks 'toned' My first 25kg I lost doing only cardio (and that was pretty much the walk every day and playing sport) Once I started lifting and lifting heavy my body shape has changed. I have a waist emerging. I HAVE A NECK! It's glorious. I can't wait to lose more and see what I look like. And to get the best results my main focus is on lifting heavy thing and putting them down again.

In conclusion, if you're going to comment on a post READ THE ****ING POST!

Hi Lozze

Do me and a few others a favour and quit calling people stupid, okay.

It is uncalled for and promotes ignorance, many thanks.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out to "cardio junkies' that if you are running up hills or stairs, swimming hard as you can, running as fast as you can, jumping rope, ski ing, doing balance work such as yoga or pilates you are indeed doing strength training. And despite how it is rated, lifting weights is actually somewhat aerobic as well.

Therefore your success may not be as completly cardio as you think.

To change tac just a little: I've gone from lifing in the morning, to lifing more towards evening due to schedule and it seems to help my fasting blood sugar to do it this way, sometimes its as late as an hour before bedtime before I'm done. (I go to bed crazy early). The day AFTER my lifting I'm STARVING and more likely to eat mor cals than I am on my lifting day. Do you think because of my sched this is okay? I do take a protien shake after lifting and If I'm not eating late I'll have another prior to bed.
    Thx.
  • irridia
    Options
    Why does it seem that these posts are always an either/or situation? Here's an idea - do both. Both strength training and cardio have things going for them. So, don't just lift weights and don't just run.
    I do days of lifting, days of running and days where I do running mixed in with other things like pushups, situps, lunges and crunches.

Exactly. I'm a firm believer that you have to do cardio and strength training to get the best results. But honestly, I don't care what other people do. They're not losing my weight......I'm the only one that can do that.

PREACH GIRL!! :wink: Love it! :flowerforyou:

That's some BACK lady! Can tell you strength train!
  • irridia
    Options
    I'd rather look like Misha Tate on the right, or Ronda Rousy on the left

Miesha_Tate_and_Ronda_Rousey_Strikeforce_3_10032722.jpg

I'm certain they Strength AND endurance are both on their daily agenda!

I think they are both hot! It would really really cool if their boobs were touching in that pic though, then it would be epically hot. :happy:

lol you are funny. I'm not certain they were actually near each other for that shot. They mostly tried to keep them away from each other before the fight.... well except for the weigh ins and that got a little intense!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

That. A balance of both allows for weight loss, yet promotes muscle fitness and growth. It does not need to be exclusive.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think the operative term i the OP is that the test subjects were put on a "very low calorie diet" (I'm going to guess high protein, low carb) which automatically biases the outcome.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

I agree with above (and not just because I also believe the Phillies/Eagles RULE)...I think a healthy, balanced approach ( I know, boring) is the right mix. I do 6 days of cardio and 3 weight training, but on my weight days I only do 2/3 of the normal cardio I do on non-weight days. For someone who was fat doing the strength build up my upper body, while the cardio helped reduce my gut, fat, legs...so a good mix.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I agree with above (and not just because I also believe the Phillies/Eagles RULE)...I think a healthy, balanced approach ( I know, boring) is the right mix. I do 6 days of cardio and 3 weight training, but on my weight days I only do 2/3 of the normal cardio I do on non-weight days. For someone who was fat doing the strength build up my upper body, while the cardio helped reduce my gut, fat, legs...so a good mix.

Did you actually read the article? This isn't for general health or fitness, it's pure FAT LOSS.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Seriously do people even READ the original post? Because all these stupid people coming in crying 'I love cardio' have clearly not. The article isn't talking about health. It isn't talking about endurance. It's talking about FAT LOSS. The best exercise for fat loss is doing weights. FAT LOSS.

I LOVE my cardio. It helps me keep my mood in check, the feeling after running for 20 minutes has me high. I walk for 30 minutes every day to get my cardio in. If I'm at the gym I do high intensity cardio for 30 minutes (I'm not someone who generally does more than that. I've got better things to do with my time then spend hours at the gym) I love cardio.

BUT I lift heavy. I'm focusing on that because it's the best thing to give me the body I want. One that is not squishy. One that looks 'toned' My first 25kg I lost doing only cardio (and that was pretty much the walk every day and playing sport) Once I started lifting and lifting heavy my body shape has changed. I have a waist emerging. I HAVE A NECK! It's glorious. I can't wait to lose more and see what I look like. And to get the best results my main focus is on lifting heavy thing and putting them down again.

In conclusion, if you're going to comment on a post READ THE ****ING POST!

Hi Lozze

Do me and a few others a favour and quit calling people stupid, okay.

It is uncalled for and promotes ignorance, many thanks.

I agree that she shouldn't make comments like that, and I appreciate she tries to stick up for me, but making comments like "i feel you need to do both cardio and ST" is just as bad as it does NOT address the original intent of the article nor this thread. If people would actually read before they throw their two cents in, this thread would be better.

Your personal goals are exactly that, person goals, but this thread is for those trying to cut fat. And I know, everyone has an opinion but unfortunately, this thread isn't for expressing opinions. It's supposed to be a fact based thread and if someone here doesn't like this, then they should NOT respond to this thread. It truly is that simple.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Did you actually read the article? This isn't for general health or fitness, it's pure FAT LOSS.

Its a reading comprehension thing I think. The number of people who have come in here preaching about things ENTIRELY unrelated to your point is not only astounding...but goes a long way to explain the ignorance rampant on this forum as a whole.

Seriously.