How Long Before Someone Noticed Your Loss??

Options

Replies

• kpiwtorak
    kpiwtorak Posts: 12
    Options
    A week ago at approximately 20 lbs :)

A friend commented on a FB picture that was "looking so thin!" haha now it seems that everyone is taking notice. I can't wait to be at my goal weight, but I love the transformation I'm going through.
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Im down 22lbs and people have just started to notice.
  • mayomanosu
    mayomanosu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think all depends on where you carry your weight. I have lost about 32 since starting weight loss and not a lot of people noticed until I lost some on my face. In certain clothes people notice more but it took me 15 pounds+ before I noticed my pants fitting loser so didnt expect people to notice until at least then.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds and my boyfriend is the only person who has noticed. But that's only 15 pounds and I'm also tall so I think that makes it hard to tell. I don't know.
  • hedwighigh
    hedwighigh Posts: 299
    Options
    I dunno if someone has already said this since I didn't read all the replies but I'm pretty sure that the more you have to lose, the more it takes for others to notice while if you don't have to lose much, the less it takes for others to notice.

It took about 20-25 pounds for people to notice that I'd lost anything, I get most of the comments now that I've lost around 70 pounds.

However, if my boyfriend loses only 5 pounds, everyone would notice because he's such a bean pole. I was nowhere close to a bean pole so it took more loss before anyone could tell.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    A lot has to do with the clothes you where I think. I've lost all my weight in my waist so far. While my waist bands are now comfortable, no one really notices except my husband because I wear tops that hang lose over my pants (something that's been a necessity for the muffin top I've been sporting.)
  • brainsprained
    Options
    Ive lost 26 lb and dont feel much different other than the fact that I can walk quicker,
    and nobody has noticed,
    mind you Ive a truckload of weight to lose yet!
  • Panaru
    Panaru Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm only 11lbs down and it's only been about a month now. No one has said anything.
    But on the bright side when I went to hop on the scales this morning I looked in the mirror and was like night and day for the first time. My belly looked a tiny bit smaller! I have so much to go still so I was happy just feeling that all my work is not for nothing!
    (oh and my SO does not see it yet but I'm sure it just takes time.)
  • KaylaPeterson24
    KaylaPeterson24 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 11", started at 198. I've lost 25 pounds and only my mom has noticed. It's so frustrating! (although I haven't told really anyone)
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Nearly 39lbs down and only a few people have said anything to me so far. lol
  • gitrdone2012
    Options
    when I lost the first 20 pounds my mom noticed. at 25 pounds some close friends noticed, at 45 pounds I updated my profile photo on FB and the complements started, lost another 18 pounds updated photo again and complements and private messages came rolling in. total weight lost since late June 2011, 63 pounds. It's nice to be complemented/noticed but it's truly how you feel that's important :)
  • reginamichelle1
    reginamichelle1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband recognizes my efforts. He comments and compliments often. My kids are very encouraging too:) always saying how great I look. 20 pounds so far and my co-workers hardly even notice. Oh well, at least the people that matter the most appreciate it. 20 down and 25 more to go, I am motivated!!!
  • Deathangl13
    Deathangl13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    No one will really notice a 10lb loss. My weight fluctuates anywhere from 5-8lbs a day. Body weight is made up of too many variables for a visible difference to be seen with just a 10lb loss. When I start dropping weight, right around the 30lb mark I will get people's comments in CLOTHES. In other words, it becomes noticeable without actually having your shirt off. Without clothes, someone might notice a lower weight drop IF it's all fat. By gaining 10lbs of muscle and losing 10lbs of fat, you can drastically change your body composition without losing a single pound. This is the ultimate goal for visual and health reasons.
  • Deathangl13
    Deathangl13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm only 11lbs down and it's only been about a month now. No one has said anything.
    But on the bright side when I went to hop on the scales this morning I looked in the mirror and was like night and day for the first time. My belly looked a tiny bit smaller! I have so much to go still so I was happy just feeling that all my work is not for nothing!
    (oh and my SO does not see it yet but I'm sure it just takes time.)

Yea, you will notice long before anyone else, mainly in the way your clothes fit. If I drop as little as 6 or 7lbs, my pants feel completely different.
  • liftandcycle
    Options
    people began to notice after 15-17 lb.. two months.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    My best friend said she could tell the difference at 15 pounds, but to be honest, no one really said anything until I hit the 30 pound mark. (Started at 278)
  • markjenna
    markjenna Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    They say 4 weeks for you, 8 weeks for for friends and family and 12 weeks for others to notice. It took almost 25 lbs for others to notice, but I think that is because I always hid my weight with baggy clothes and no one noticed until I changed the way I dressed..
  • juliesmom2
    juliesmom2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think people start to notice when you lose about 10%-15% of the extra pounds. Before that they may compliment you on your "new" hairstyle or outfit but probably won't attribute your look to weightloss.
  • chairperson
    Options
    I've lost a little over 20 pounds so far. And honestly..I've only recently noticed that loss myself. Keeping track of the numbers has been plenty of motivation, but it's exciting to finally be able to look at a before picture and one of my during pictures and tell the difference. I'm pretty chatty about my weight loss goal, or at least my new found gym rat habits, so people know what's up. I haven't received any comments or compliments yet.

I was pretty thrilled when I lost 20 lbs and told a friend who told me she thought my waist looked a lot smaller in the shirt I was wearing yesterday, but she didn't say anything. If it were me, I'd be tentative about bringing it up with someone else if I wasn't sure they'd really lost weight. It's a weird hang up, but I think people are afraid of being wrong about the perceived weight loss.

Long reply sorry.

Last thing. When I was in middle school my mom lost about 100 lbs and I remember being SO happy for her when we'd run into an acquaintance. They'd double take and turn around to tell her they hardly recognized her. It was awesome. I look forward to those moments. I'm thinking I've got another 50+ to lose before I get those kinds of reactions.

Height: 5'3"
    SW: 238.5 lbs
    CW: 217.25 lbs
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    It was about 60 pds before anyone noticed
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!