Do you ever lie to your food log ??

Options
OK.. I will 'fess up that I sometimes shave a few cals by not logging all my food...Since I consider myself near normal, I think that some of my fellow members do the same thing...Did you log that extra glass of white wine or a beer ?? Did you say "forget about that microwave popcorn"...I do that and I confess my transgression...I think you should too if you want to get it off your chest and move on in our near normal lives..It's up to you...I know that some people would find it *unthinkable", but others, like me might find it a sign of our human frailty..

What is your take on it ??? Are you going to come clean if you do it ??? or do you think it is a cardinal sin..

Shake and bake,

wolftrax

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Why lie to yourself? I log everything. It's not frail humanity. It's denial and lack of accountability. What are you afraid of? Make peace with food. It's not the enemy.
  • addiebelle1
    Options
    Yes, In fact I lied to my food log tonight. If I shaved 67 calories off I made my daily calorie goal...so I did. Tonight was my splurge night!

Oh well, what can I say.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Yes, I sometimes add more serving if I'm not sure, and take away exercise calories if they seem to high.

Is that lying?
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Not intentionally. What would be the point? I have forgotten a few things here in there.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I log it, good or bad to make myself accountable. I will overestimate on cals before I short them. But with exercise I will estimate them low to keep myself under.
  • AVinmill
    AVinmill Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat things I didn't make and I don't know the exact nutritional value so I just make my best guess. Other than that I log everything. When I have a cheat meal it puts it into perspective how calorie dense some foods are and really makes me question next time whether I want it or not.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I don't lie on there.

What I do tend to do is if I have a bad day of eating is to not journal the rest of the day which is my downfall and I am working on fixing that.

But I don't purposely close out my journal and lie what I had. That won't help me out in the long run.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to sound like a goody-goody, but I committed 100% to logging absolutely everything as accurately as possible. So, yes, I log the cookie dough, the sweettarts, the sprites, the alfredo sauce, everything. I eat it, I own it. No guilt though, I just keep working, keep putting one foot in front of the other. :flowerforyou:
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I haven't lied to it yet. I'm having to learn how to have a healthy relationship with food though. If I'm not accountable for everything I put in my mouth I'll start slipping. I don't even lick my fingers but if I did, I'd log it. Going from 0 accountability to complete...weird road to travel.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Nope, no reason to lie. My friends on MFP are beyond awesome and if anything, I usually have a problem of having too low calorie days. I will say this though, that the days I do go over, I get on my bike and start working out enough to get even

Edit: I might forget adding stuff though, like I'm pretty bad at logging the spices I used (which adds up the sodium) or stuff like giner/garlic paste and such which have some calories but not enough for me to worry about. I do have to watch out for sodium though
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    There's misc. stuff I don't log. Things that are less than 20 calories, like lettuce and other garnishes. Coffee is almost zero calories as well. That stuff is just tedious and annoying to think about. I typically have a couple hundred spare calories at the end of the day, not only to cover any guesstimations of portion sizes, but to also include a random cup of plain coffee or a handful of something I just grab.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    I want to... but I don't. The only person lying would hurt would be myself, & I respect myself too much to do that.
    but it's been REALLY tempting to lie to prevent my calories from going over... I'm too hard on myself
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Not intentionally, but I do make a 'best guess' sometimes.

Also if I remember a few days later 'oh crap, I forgot about that cookie' I don't go back and add it.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i log everything unless i have a meal that is a total bust.. then instead of putting in every miserable thing i devoured.. or more than likely drank (pesky bottles of wine) i list the whole day at 4000 calories...
  • JenM28
    JenM28 Posts: 12
    Options
    I read something the other day to the effect of "your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down" and I have been reminding myself of that every time I want to leave something out. Its important to me to track things only because it can be helpful for me to look back at different periods in this journey and see what I was eating both when I was successful, and not so successful, and that's harder to do if its not actually accurate. But, I think we all have THAT day where tracking just isn't happening...
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I may forget sometimes, but I do not lie

No point in cheating yourself
  • AmberFaith90
    AmberFaith90 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I'd only be lying to myself, not MFP.
  • lifeisadancefloor
    lifeisadancefloor Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter even if I do lie, my body keeps a much more accurate log whether I write it down or not!
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I'm pretty militant about it, but there have been a few nights where I've just forgotten to log things. I think that when you start lying in the journal it really defeats the purpose of having it at all, it gets rid of the accountability.
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Everything. And if I don't know the calories, I'd rather over estimate than underestimate. I'm here to lose weight, not lie to myself.