What brand of dog food does your dog eat?

Options

Replies

• brandylloyd00
    Options
    bump
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I give my dog Science Diet, he is doing really well on it :)
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My boys get Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.

Everyone here who is trying to get healthy yourself, please, please, please stop feeding your poor animals crap food. Yes, they may be "fine", but it's like you eating processed hot dogs every single day. You might be "fine" but that doesn't mean it's good for you!
  • rlcrittenden82
    Options
    They only way to tell if you are feeding goof quality dog food is to look at the ingredients. If any of the ingredients are "meal" or by product it is a not so great food. The best thing you can do is feed fresh and raw or make sure you are adding good things to their diet, like yogurt, vegetables, eggs and fresh meat. Remember, dogs in the wild are scavengers but, only eat fresh kills. Also, adding things like anchovies is realy good for their kidneys.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Mine eat Blue Buffalo because they refuse Wellness, Innova, Call of the Wild, in fact.. anything that could be a decent dog food. LOL. They're picky and would love to eat Purina One until they all go to the hospital.

I also feed raw meaty bones on top of their kibbles and usually they have a day or two a week to eat cooked meat stew.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    My dog is a vicious pit bull/boxer mix, so she eats kittens. *eye roll*

Seriously though, she eats regular dry dog food. We can't feed her anything fancy; she's one of those rare dogs that has a severely sensitive stomach that has landed her in the vet's office on IV multiple times. Sometimes we feed her meat...but she can't have anything too fatty because of her situation.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I used to be big into the fancy dog food. I went to it specifically because one of my dogs has a wheat allergy. I asked my vet and he told me that, unless you want your dog for performance (ie showing, competing, working) that any major brand of dog food will do just fine. Are there better options, sure. Is it necessary to double your budget on dog food for the average household pet? No.
  • irishgirl63
    Options
    I switched from Beniful to Blue....Best thing I ever did!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Fromm Duck and Sweet Potato, it has made her coat amazingly soft!

Ingredients 1.Fresh Duck
    2.Duck Meal
    3.Pearled Barley
    4.Fresh Sweet Potatoes
    5.Brown Rice
    6.Oatmeal
    7.White Rice
    8.Whole Dried Egg
    9.Millet
    10.Dried Tomato Pomace
    11.Safflower Oil
    12.Fresh Wisconsin Cheese
    13.Flaxseed
    14.Fresh Carrots
    15.Fresh Broccoli
    16.Fresh Cauliflower
    17.Fresh Apples
    18.Fresh Green Beans
    19.Chicken Cartilage
    20.Potassium Chloride
    21.Fresh Cranberries
    22.Fresh Blueberries
    23.Salt
    24.Monocalcium Phosphate
    25.Calcium Sulfate
    26.Chicory Root Extract
    27.Fresh Alfalfa Sprouts
    28.Yucca Schidigera Extract
    29.Sodium Selenite
    30.Folic Acid
    31.Taurine
    32.Fresh Parsley
    33.Vitamins
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    Royal Canin for puppy's :)
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    They only way to tell if you are feeding goof quality dog food is to look at the ingredients. If any of the ingredients are "meal" or by product it is a not so great food. The best thing you can do is feed fresh and raw or make sure you are adding good things to their diet, like yogurt, vegetables, eggs and fresh meat. Remember, dogs in the wild are scavengers but, only eat fresh kills. Also, adding things like anchovies is realy good for their kidneys.

Meat meals are what kibble comes down to anyways, if it says "Chicken", it's just going to be dehydrated and ground into meal. They put it there because by weight after dehydration it will fall lower on the ingredient list, nice way to scam us all! Of course, it could be anything, but so could "chicken". In the end, our dogs are scavengers as you said and have no problems eating carcass, and meal laws do prevent the worst of carcass items. Corn meal is a whole different beast, but meat meals are typically an indicator of dry food quality. :)
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I feed Lou Orijen. Luckily he is little and only eats a cup a day. For special treats we give him Stella & Chewy's Frozen Raw Beef patties.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    AvoDerm Natural, a line by Breeder's Choice. (I don't have kids, so I spend money on my dog, lol).

It is made with very high quality, natural ingredients. Avocado is a main ingredient in all the flavors of AvoDerm. Along with all the other health benefits of avocado, the natural fats are very good for coat health. My dog is nearly 9 years old and looks like a 3 year old. I attribute it to his food.

I buy the oven baked lamb and brown rice for him. He loves it.

Yes. AvoDerm is what everyone in my family feeds their dogs as well. It's a little on the expensive side, but I feel like it's completely worth it.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Meat meals are what kibble comes down to anyways, if it says "Chicken", it's just going to be dehydrated and ground into meal. They put it there because by weight after dehydration it will fall lower on the ingredient list, nice way to scam us all! Of course, it could be anything, but so could "chicken". In the end, our dogs are scavengers as you said and have no problems eating carcass, and meal laws do prevent the worst of carcass items. Corn meal is a whole different beast, but meat meals are typically an indicator of dry food quality. :)

I'm not convinced that "meal laws" are followed (or exist), it was only a few years ago that everyone was so upset because they found out that some of the rendered meat used in dog food was from kill shelters, yeah, that our dogs were eating rendered pet dogs... http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-industry-exposed/shocking-truth-about-dog-food/

Nope, not for my fur-children. This is one of the many reasons why they eat the same food I do.
  • bellanena
    bellanena Posts: 74
    Options
    Taste of the Wild-Bison & Venison.

I refuse to fill my dogs up with corn,wheat, soy & by products. Read the labels!! :( Poor pups. That crap is the reason 1 in 2 dogs get cancer.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Purina One Select Lamb and Rice. Not the best, but not the worst, and lamb is the first ingredient. I'm sorry but I'm not gonna feed my dogs better than I feed myself lol. As long as meat is the first ingredient in the list, you're ok.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    We used to feed our pug Wellness - we recently switched to Happy Tails which I'm pretty sure is only available in Canada.
    http://www.happytail.ca/

Their dog and cat foods are gluten free, corn free, soy free and filler free!

From their website, their dog food contains:
    • New Zealand Lamb Meal – top grade slow cooked to keep active enzymes 100% de-boned, dehydrated lamb. No fillers, more meat, more energy, less stool
    • Brown rice – All the nutrients with lower complex carbs (helps weight control)
    • Naturally preserved with Vitamin E & Vitamin C (no chemicals or artificial ingredients)
    • Fresh BC Ocean Fish (combination of herring, anchovy and sardines) meal – high in Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids for energy, healthy skin & coat
    • Fresh organic carrots & spinach – wholesome nutrition (beta carotene & iron)
    • Cranberries – excellent kidney flush, helps combat urinary tract crystals
    • Sea Salt – all the minerals – real food
    • Yucca Extract – excellent for assimilation of nutrients, digestion & breath odor
    • High quality vitamins & chelated (liquefied) minerals for best absorption
    • Organic garlic – improve circulation & helps control fleas
    • Supplement – Probiotic Acidophilis – friendly healthy bacteria – aids in digestion and also suppresses bad bacteria intestinal infections – also treatment of diarrhoea from many digestive upsets etc.
  • dis5150
    dis5150 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I feed my chihuahua/terrier mix, Spock, Blue Buffalo. He loves it, but spits out the "health" black pieces, lol! He also gets fresh chicken or beef every morning. Also, do NOT give your dogs Chicken Jerky (Waggin Trails or Milo's Kitchen brands). It has been linked to kidney failure in dogs!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    Whichever of the numerous stray children that are roaming around our neighborhood.