Tried to eat more it does not work

Options

Replies

• OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. Been there done that. Then I finally learned about nutiriton and exercise and learned how to lose weight eating well and exercising. Been successful again and for longer than ever.

Educate yourself on exercise and nutrition and you will one day understand.

^^ Agree
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    i may be mistaken, but i think the whole "eat more to fuel your body" is for those working out pretty hardcore daily..... ??

Yes, you are mistaken....
  • gobichick
    gobichick Posts: 16
    Options
    What exercises are you doing? I took a look at your diary and noticed you are burning about 1000 calories a day extra in exercise. I have a fit bit that helps me get an idea of the number of calories I am burning while exercising and you have to be REALLY working it to be burning that many calories. It could be possible that you are over estimating your calorie burn and when you ate back your exercise calories you were actually over eating.

That being said...you need to be eating more. But not just eating any old thing. When someone says you need to eat more you need to consume more healthy calories. The candy calories are not good fuel for your body. Once I learned that the calorie deficit was not the way to lose weight and keep it off and started consuming more healthy calories the weight just started to fall off. You need the fuel to feed your muscle and ultimately melt the fat.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I think you guys need to relax a little, I have looked at her diary too. I think her exercise is wayyy over rated so I don't think she is "starving herself" per say...

Example. last Sunday, she put in her exercise diary she did 30 day shred 3x, she may have hit enter 3x because of internet connection etc, but I highly doubt she did it 3x in one day....

Before you make judgement calls on someone's diary, actually look at the dang thing... and don't just take "1067 calories burned" for face value..... a little sugar goes WAYYYYYYYYY further than vinegar...

OP: did you actually do the Jillian Michaels workout 3 times on Sunday ?
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    You have to net close to 1200 a day. I net about 1150-1200 every single day. You body: brain...muscles..have to work! Youre harming yourself if your net isnt at that goal.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    one more thing...ever hear of a rest day???Those who are addicted to the burn...WOW! Your body is fighting against you...not with or for you. Youre not letting it recover. WTH!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    One question...how the heck are you burning numbers like 1125 with workouts?!

Today I did the 30 day shred, 20 minutes rebounding on a mini-trampoline and went for a long walk + did extra resistance and that was around 350-400 calories!?

Something isn't adding up there.

That could be where you're going waaaaay wrong! Because if you were actually burning that much, and eating so little, you'd be in starvation mode and will be losing a serious amount of muscle, water along with a small amount of fat.

If someone wants to lose 40lbs of 'weight' they can cut off their leg, but they wont look how they want to look, will they? Think BODY FAT, not WEIGHT ON SCALE.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Best way to start a fight on the internet: Forget politics and religion, talk about your opinions on losing weight.

1) Should she eat more? Maybe. Probably.

2) Will she lose weight eating the way she is? Obviously yes. The biggest myth I see on these boards is that you can eat too little to lose any weight. As a general statement, that is crazy talk. Anorexia-stricken people do not have any trouble getting skinny. People in forced labor camps aren't flabby. Use your brains, folks. You can eat too little for health, you can slow your metabolism down, you can have increased difficulty losing weight at the same speed as your metabolism lowers, but no, you can't net 500 calories a day and not lose fat. If you are genuinely netting 500 calories a day and not losing weight, you are a medical MIRACLE or simply underestimating your calorie intake or overestimating your TDEE.

3) Long term, it is better to deficit 500 calories a day (of total burned, not your BMR, folks), not as many as you can per day. A great calorie deficit might trigger your body to try to make up for it in ways that will eventually sabotage your weight loss plan. Additionally, the less you eat, the more likely it is that you miss out on important vitamins and enzymes that are difficult to get back through pills and enriched drinks.
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    One question...how the heck are you burning numbers like 1125 with workouts?!

Today I did the 30 day shred, 20 minutes rebounding on a mini-trampoline and went for a long walk + did extra resistance and that was around 350-400 calories!?

Something isn't adding up there.

That could be where you're going waaaaay wrong! Because if you were actually burning that much, and eating so little, you'd be in starvation mode and will be losing a serious amount of muscle, water along with a small amount of fat.

If someone wants to lose 40lbs of 'weight' they can cut off their leg, but they wont look how they want to look, will they? Think BODY FAT, not WEIGHT ON SCALE.

She will burn more because she is heavier than you, the exact same workout burns completely different amounts depending on what you weight, extra weight means extra effort to do the same moves...
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree with you!!! I was told the same thing because I range anywhere from 1000-1200 a day and I am losing about 1-2 pounds a week. When I eat more I don't do so well. Everyone is different and I'm not going to force myself to eat just to get over 1200 calories. That's crazy to me. Your body has a way of telling you to eat hungry so if your not feeling it don't do it.

Thanks for that l agree..I do eat every 2-3 hours throughout the day so l am keeping my body in fuel so that l do not burn out and l am very fit and on the go all day long with 3 kids and work to keep me busy and l am very happy eating around 1200 or least.

I am not going to eat the calories that l am burning l find that not right, why burn calories if you are only going to eat them back?

You have to net at least 1200 calories every day!!! Especially if your doing major workouts. How many times does this need to be said on here? geez.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Use this handy calculator to see how many calories your body actually needs per day to stay alive http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Never eat less than your BMR. Ever.
    Adjust your calorie goal to TDEE - 15% (TDEE number * .85).

Yes, it can take your body more than a week or two (or three, or four) to readjust back to proper functioning, but it will lose fat when it is being nourished with real food, in sufficient quantities.

No diet shakes required! :flowerforyou:
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Okay, so don't eat back your exercise calories and don't eat enough for your body to do it's job. Why are you even posting about it then? Is eating too little working for you? Fabulous. Continue starving yourself then.

I do agree with this, but I suppose to each their own. I, personally, prefer to feel full & have energy. If you LIKE to feel hungry & weak all the time, then cheers to you. I'm in it to not only lose the weight but become strong and healthy and develop a lifestyle that I can sustain for the rest of my life. Best wishes and best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Best way to start a fight on the internet: Forget politics and religion, talk about your opinions on losing weight.

1) Should she eat more? Maybe. Probably.

2) Will she lose weight eating the way she is? Obviously yes. The biggest myth I see on these boards is that you can eat too little to lose any weight. As a general statement, that is crazy talk. Anorexia-stricken people do not have any trouble getting skinny. People in forced labor camps aren't flabby. Use your brains, folks. You can eat too little for health, you can slow your metabolism down, you can have increased difficulty losing weight at the same speed as your metabolism lowers, but no, you can't net 500 calories a day and not lose fat. If you are genuinely netting 500 calories a day and not losing weight, you are a medical MIRACLE or simply underestimating your calorie intake or overestimating your TDEE.

3) Long term, it is better to deficit 500 calories a day (of total burned, not your BMR, folks), not as many as you can per day. A great calorie deficit might trigger your body to try to make up for it in ways that will eventually sabotage your weight loss plan. Additionally, the less you eat, the more likely it is that you miss out on important vitamins and enzymes that are difficult to get back through pills and enriched drinks.

Very well put
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If your body gets used to eating so little, what do u think will happen when you start eating normal again? Not going to be able to maintain just gain! good luck on your journey and hopefully you can become a healthier you!

I was eating only around 500 calories before so l am eating lots more and my body is happy now with this amount everyday.

I tried to eat more and l just would be sick in the tummy with pain as l was putting to much food in my body. I will not be doing that any more.

ultimately this is YOUR goal and YOUR challenge and YOUR life, you definitely need to do what you think is best for YOU. A 2000 calorie diet is what the average person should consume, that is what all nutrition labels are based on, sometimes that is not even enough.
    Before you blow everyone off I would consult a physician to ensure you are doing what’s right and healthy for your plan and diet. No use in losing all that weight just to get sick.

GOOD suggestion. I would add to make sure to see a nutritionist rather than just your regular doctor as well. You may not feel like you're starving but if you subsist on 500 calories a day then your body has to be starving. I don't even know how you manage that.
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    Use this handy calculator to see how many calories your body actually needs per day to stay alive http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Yes, it can take your body more than a week or two (or three, or four) to readjust back to proper functioning, but it will lose fat when it is being nourished with real food, in sufficient quantities.

That calculator makes your TDEE wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too high ! That's more calories than I have ever ate in my lifetime, would not be on this website if that was the case
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I lost 15lbs eating MFPs recommended 1200 cals a day for three months... then I didn't lose any weight for 3 months still eating 1200 cals a day. My body adjusted to eating so little and my metabolism slowed.

You need to net your BMR... BMR is the carlories your body needs to support its NECESSARY LIFE FUNCTIONS, not even taking into account any energy needed to support your body as soon as you step out of bed.

Calculate your TDEE based on your activity level (www.fitnessfrog.com has a good one) and then take TDEE times .8 or .9 and set that as your daily calorie goal.

Get a heart rate monitor and use that to determine how much you are actually burning during cardio workouts. Get a food scale and weigh everything you eat. A lot of people, myself included, underestimate portions and how many cals are in their food and overestimate how many cals they are burning during a workout.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I agree with you!!! I was told the same thing because I range anywhere from 1000-1200 a day and I am losing about 1-2 pounds a week. When I eat more I don't do so well. Everyone is different and I'm not going to force myself to eat just to get over 1200 calories. That's crazy to me. Your body has a way of telling you to eat hungry so if your not feeling it don't do it.

Thanks for that l agree..I do eat every 2-3 hours throughout the day so l am keeping my body in fuel so that l do not burn out and l am very fit and on the go all day long with 3 kids and work to keep me busy and l am very happy eating around 1200 or least.

I am not going to eat the calories that l am burning l find that not right, why burn calories if you are only going to eat them back?

I mostly agree....
    I net anywhere from 1000 - 1500 calories depending on the day and how I feel. 3 meals a day...possibly a snack here or there....If I feel hungry I eat. I eat back most (always within a hundred or less in the green) of my exercise calories because the 1200 is already at a big deficit to what I used to be eating.

People are right when they say the net number is what is important. So, I am set for 1200 and I am always in the green 10-100ish, depending on my day. I usually burn around 300-400 calories a day...(Finished 30DS and now I am doing alternating Ripped in 30 & 6wk 6pk) I have lost 14 pounds since the end of January. So that may not be enough for some people, but I am 5' 2" and I have a lil more than 50 pounds to lose. I am gonna keep doing what I am doing. It works for me....Do what works for you....talk to your Dr. if you think you may be doing something wrong they can always help - Good Luck! :happy:
  • NikkiPsuedoDupuis
    NikkiPsuedoDupuis Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I rarely ate my exercise calories back either. Then last week I had a wake up call. I'd been feeling kind of out of sorts for a few days, then on Thursday I went to the gym for my usual workout and was so nauseous I spent the first half hour sitting on the bench in the change room. When I felt better I went and tried to row, made it about five minutes and was sick, violently.

After doing a LOT of reading, checking back through my diary, I realized my net calories were averaging about 700/day. I'm 6'1 and fairly large framed, my BMR is about 1550 or so, I was eating WAY to few calories and my body let me know. I've been eating no less that my BMR NET for about a week now, I haven't lost any weight, and haven't gained any but I FEEL much better, and that's kind of the point.

I started this journey to be healthy, fit and strong, not skinny, sick and weak, and having my body canibalize itself to try and prevent me starving it isn't the way to do that.

I hope your journey works out like you've planned, and I REALLY hope you don't have to clean up your own sick in a public gym for that to happen.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

That calculator makes your TDEE wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too high ! That's more calories than I have ever ate in my lifetime, would not be on this website if that was the case

The BMR calculator on that site seems accurate but I agree the TDEE calculator seems pretty high.
  • kvbushman
    kvbushman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OMG! Some of you were really mean in these post. I teach 13 year old and they had more manners. That is so not cool. That being said, are any of you on here posting (and demand you are right) a doctor??? Just curious... I do see a doctor to follow my weightloss and she told me NOT NOT NOT to eat the workout calories. So I am wondering why she would tell me that. I even printed out the last round of arguements on here and took them to her and asked her what I should do. She again told me not to eat over the calories and to eat every 2 hours. She said that it will burn the fat and my metabolism will be fine as long as I eat something (an apple, peanut butter toast etc) every two hours. So unless one of you are a doctor (not a nurse but a doctor) then maybe we should not pass out advice until we have spoken to our own doctor. Then maybe we could all be a little nicer. WE are here for support and understanding not to be harassed or hurt.