What brand of dog food does your dog eat?

Options

Replies

• darrell62
    darrell62 Posts: 40
    Options
    Walmart brand,
    Both dogs supplement their diet with rabbits and squirrels they catch around the yard.

8828565.png
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Switched our cat and 2 dogs to Wellness Core to get away from grains. Dogs aren't meant to eat grains and we've seen an amazing improvement in their dental health since the switch. There's also plenty of evidence that dogs are primarily carnivores and really shouldn't be eating fruits and vegtables either.

Cats are a different story. They are OBLIGATE carnivores and MUST eat meat to survive and be healthy. Most cat obesity is linked to grains and other fillers used in cat food. When feeding a cat (and dogs should be too) think super high fat and protein and little to 0 carbs.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Whatever lands in her bowl. She is SO not picky.

JM
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Whichever of the numerous stray children that are roaming around our neighborhood.

Funny!
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    A good economical dog food is costco's brand and my dogs actually eat it. I have two large greyhounds who are very, very picky. I have over the years tried all the high end brands they look at it and walk away and yes they will let it sit for days and not touch it. I gave up and just tried to find the best i could and was affordable that they would actually eat. I had to stop buying Royan Canin $60+ for a big bag i had to buy every 2 weeks.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Iams.

We fed our dogs Purina for years and they were very healthy and lived very long lives. Now they say Purina is bad for them. I think it's all a scam.

exactly.
    my parents had a black lab named Sheba from 2 years before I was born until I was 15 and a half... she only ate Purina. She had wonderful teeth, energy, etc... right up until the last 8 months of her life.
    Every dog I have had has had a similar food, and lived a long healthy life.
    My current doggies love beneful... and I am not going to change that for some psudo-science reason. If they every have a some kind of nutritional deficiency THEN I will switch... till then I think some people get a bit retarded with telling others what to do, while having no medical or practical background on the subject.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    We use Purina Little Bites for my Basenj
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Iams.

We fed our dogs Purina for years and they were very healthy and lived very long lives. Now they say Purina is bad for them. I think it's all a scam.

exactly.
    my parents had a black lab named Sheba from 2 years before I was born until I was 15 and a half... she only ate Purina. She had wonderful teeth, energy, etc... right up until the last 8 months of her life.
    My current doggies love beneful... and I am not going to change that for some psudo-science reason. If they every have a some kind of nutritional deficiency THEN I will switch... till then I think some people get a bit retarded with telling others what to do, while having no medical or practical background on the subject.

That's kind of like saying that you'll wait until you develop scurvy before you start eating foods containing vitamin C. Why would you wait until they develop a medical issue due to nutrition before you would do anything about it?

You can think I am retarded all you want. I have educated myself on what is healthy for my dogs and I feed it to them. Just like I have educated myself on what is healthy for me and I eat it. I don't even require a medical degree to figure that one out.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    Iams.

exactly.

That's kind of like saying that you'll wait until you develop scurvy before you start eating foods containing vitamin C. Why would you wait until they develop a medical issue due to nutrition before you would do anything about it?

You can think I am retarded all you want. I have educated myself on what is healthy for my dogs and I feed it to them. Just like I have educated myself on what is healthy for me and I eat it. I don't even require a medical degree to figure that one out.

so if they eat that their whole life... and never get scurvy would you say they never had a medical issue due to nutrition?

or would you continue to harp on about "nevermind that, my concept is still better for them"???
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My boys get Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.

Everyone here who is trying to get healthy yourself, please, please, please stop feeding your poor animals crap food. Yes, they may be "fine", but it's like you eating processed hot dogs every single day. You might be "fine" but that doesn't mean it's good for you!

I agree with you that people should not feed their dogs crap. People are going to feed their dogs what they want, obviously. If your dog is "just a dog" to you, I don't really care what you feed it, but if your dog is more like your best fried, your child, or a member of your family, you should consider feeding it like one. My personal pet peeve is people that make a point of eating what they were designed by evolution to eat, primal or paleo, but feed their dogs crunchy, carbohydrate-dense, allergy-causing, mite-filled nuggets that can (and do) sit on a shelf for years without changing. If it doesn't decompose, it shouldn't be eaten. I was at an intro to crossfit, and the instructor was explaining the benefits of functional movements, like lifting dog food bags.... And I was like, wait, wait now... And yes he got a lecture on proper evolutionary diet for dogs, prey model raw.
  • Lose20lbs38
    Options
    We have two labs and one had allergies so he was on Royal Canin and the other was on Science Diet. Due to expenses we've switched to Purina which they've been doing fine. My dogs also LOVE lettuce and carrots! I make them a salad several nights a week to go with their main course :)
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    He eats a mixture of Chicken Soup for the Dog lovers Soul and Before Grain. I mix it with wet food too, several different kinds but always a 4 or above on the DogFoodAnalysis.com scale. He eats better than I do =)
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    He eats a mixture of Chicken Soup for the Dog lovers Soul....

Wait.
    You feed him books? :tongue:
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    NUTRO® NATURAL CHOICE® Adult Chicken Meal, Rice & Oatmeal Formula Dog Food. I've heard that Blue is also good :-)
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Orijin Poultry and Fish. It's an all-natural dog food. Expensive, but totally worth it. I have 3 dogs: a german shepherd, a border collie, and a terrier poodle mix, and they all love it. And between all three of them, I only use 4 and a half cups a day...for three dogs! They don't need much, so it's really nice. =D
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    Natural balance fish and sweet potato formula
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    HATE BENEFUL!!!! I used to work in a pet store where they did extensive nutrition training to us. I feed blue buffalo and I love it!!!!!!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My dog is a garbage disposal. I know I'll catch a lot of crap for saying this, but we feed him everything we don't eat (except chocolate, grapes/raisins and chicken bones, obviously) and whatever middle-market dog food we buy. He's the healthiest dog I've ever had. My vet called him "the healthiest canine garbage compacter I've ever met". Some dogs can eat anything and it won't affect them. However, it was a different case with my last dog - her hair fell out in patches and she had raw, bleeding skin from allergies to everything. With her, we had to change her food weekly to find something that worked, and even the most expensive organic non-corn dog foods did nothing for her. So, know your dog.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Iams.

exactly.

so if they eat that their whole life... and never get scurvy would you say they never had a medical issue due to nutrition?

or would you continue to harp on about "nevermind that, my concept is still better for them"???

Beneful sucks because if you read the ingredients it is all crap filler and all the meat you see falling from the sky in the commercials NEVER lands in the bag. That is why people shouldn't feed it. That and the dyes they color the food with so WE have more fun feeding them is just horrid allergy causing cancer causing crud! I am truly anti beneful, old roy, and a few others like meow mix, dads and ANY thing else you can pick up at a 5 n dime shop. You need to read the ingredients and then know what that stuff is. I like purina but eukanuba and iams have a similar composition and they charge more money for food no better than grocery store yuck.
  • Etiqueta
    Etiqueta Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Taste of the Wild