worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Someone asked if I have ever had a heart attack before. This was when I was a freshman in high school.
  • MayberryMama
    Options
    My ex-husband once said to me "If I had known you were going to end up fat like my mother, I would have never married you." That was 13 years ago and it still rings in my head as if it was yesterday. And the worst part is I was only 150 lbs then (and 5'8"), and now I'm 185 lbs. So imagine the internal dialogue that goes on in my head these days....
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Whenever people comment on other's body parts, they're totally just projecting their own insecurities on you.

Don't let them! It's easier said than done, I know. If it's still getting to you, use the "sting" and take it out at the gym. Living well is the best revenge!
  • Fozzyspotts
    Fozzyspotts Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have been together for 3.5 years and living together for most of it. Last Christmas my Aunt Joan came up to me and just started rubbing my tummy and smiling at me. I was like "Joan I'm not pregnant." She said "Oh don't worry dear, Aunt Joan can keep a secret. And Aunt Joan ALWAYS knows these kinds of things." All the while she was rubbing my tummy... Just as I was about to deny it again my Aunt Mindy walked by. Then she got all excited and I had to try and tell both of them that I wasn't pregnant. But they both thought that I was just 'keeping it a secret.'

I saw both Joan and Mindy this weekend for Easter and much to their surprise not only was I not pregnant, I had lost weight. They didn't know what to say...but apparently they hadn't kept my 'little secret' a secret and everyone was expecting me to announce what the sex of my baby.

...it was one hell of a long Easter full of "oh no I was never pregnant." "No, I didn't lose the baby cuz there never was one."

Gotta love Family...

Now that is classic!!!! I hope the Aunts at least felt bad!
  • tcbryson
    tcbryson Posts: 8
    Options
    Well, it wasn't a comment, but rather something my aunt did that really hurt. I had lost a bunch of weight my first year of college, but after college, I started gaining it back. At Christmas I was home, and my aunt actually grabbed my little fat roll and said, "What's this?" My mouth just dropped open... Rude.

Needless to say, I am so glad to have found this site and a group of people who know what it's like to work for something. Stay positive everyone! You bring about what you think about:)
  • wildearthmama
    Options
    There was this guy I knew in middle school who was my "friend" for awhile. He was best friends with this guy that I had a crush on, and one day, I overheard them call me "saddlebags", and laugh hysterically. A few weeks later, there was an earthquake, and he said, "Hey, were you going to the bathroom when that happened? Or were you just jumping up and down?" Ha-****ing-ha. In middle school, I wasn't a twig, but I was a healthy weight for my height, based on my BMI. Now, I'm about 40 lbs. overweight. I wonder why?
  • tananichelle
    tananichelle Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was in a public restroom last Spring when a mother and her 5 or 6 year old boy came in. The boy stopped in his tracks, looked up at me, and said "Whoa! She's faaaaat!"

Instead of admonishing her child for being so rude and hurtful, the mother quickly looked up at me, locked eyes with me, and said, "I know. But you don't need to tell her that!"
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My mom told me when I was like 14 or 15 that if I didnt lose weight no man would ever want to marry me because men dont like fat wives.....theres a reason I'm in therapy....
  • wildearthmama
    Options
    Also, when I was dating my (now ex) husband, he and his best friend were sitting next to me on the couch, drinking. His best friend suddenly started laughing out loud, and said, "You're girlfriend's ****ing ugly, dude!" And my ex laughed right along with him! Why did I even marry that *kitten*? Must have been low self esteem...
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Three months after my son was born, I was laying on the couch and my husband was on the floor playing with our son. My grandma walked into the room, bent down to talk to my son, and said, "Look at your mama, that's what a beached whale looks like!" She started laughing and left the room. My husband looked and me in total shock. I burst into tears.
  • mikda999
    mikda999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    In 6th grade my friends and I decided that when we got to middle school we would all join the spirit squad. Fast forward 6 months to 7th grade and imagine my surprise when all my friends were missing after school. I called up my best friend who could always cheer me up after someone bullied me or called me names. Her mom answered the phone and told me they all joined the spirit squad and didn't want me to join because I was too fat. Next day in school I asked my friends and they finally admitted to keeping the spirit squad try outs a secret from me because they didn't want my fat *kitten* to ruin their chances of getting boyfriends.

Needless to say I was the bigger person and stayed friends with ALL of them. They all came to my wedding and sat in the back and laughed. They come to see me when I had my kids and laughed at how much weight I gained. A couple years ago I made some real friends and gave up those girls because I was a joke to them. I wish I had given them up long before now because now I understand what real friends are like. Oddly enough I feel better about myself now too!
  • liesl78
    liesl78 Posts: 35
    Options

Oh. My. God. What is it with all these grandparents that are so damned mean? I'm sorry =(

My paternal grandmother barely talks to me on the phone (she lives abroad) and when she does, the first thing out of her mouth is "either are you still fat?" or "have you gained weight?".

It used to bother me but I stopped caring a long time ago.

My soon-to-be ex-husband used to make nasty comments on my weight all the time. Yes, it was hurtful, but since I'm pretty, smart, have a lovely personality and have friends who love me, he had to find something to pick on. BTW, I was a size 10 when we got married. I had a nasty bout of depression 3 years ago after my Grandfather passed, and got up to a size 16. Now I'm between 10-12 again. Can't wait for the end of the summer, when I'll waltz into the courtroom looking gorgeous to sign our divorce papers.
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    saving to read later.....
  • mandihdz
    mandihdz Posts: 19
    Options
    ugh that killed me to read this :( people are so freaking rude and dont give a d*** about anyone's feelings!
  • Lose20lbs38
    Options
    I worked with the public and a customer I hadn't seen in months came in and said "Wow, you've put on some weight!" (I was about 10lbs heavier than the last time I had seen him). I was so pissed and caught off guard I replied with "Yes, I have and it looks like you have too!"
    Another time a previous employee from 4 years prior came into the building and saw me and a coworker. She said "HEY! Good to see you guys! Susie looks the same but you look fat!"
  • lildevil968
    lildevil968 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have a couple. My mother in law, and my grandma are the main ones who say mean things. Just this weekend my Mother in Law told me that my stomach has gotten alot bigger, and told me I needed to try harder to lose the weight. It took every inch of me for me not tell her that she should not be talking.

My grandma has been known to tell me that I have grown a couple of spare tires around my belly, and *kitten*.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my twins, one of my aunts used to greet me with, "Hey tubby!" For the record, I gained the same amount of weight with the twins as I did with my first baby: I was just over 200 lbs when I gave birth and it was all baby.
  • afwatson15
    afwatson15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My mom called me "paunchy" one day.

Never been able to let it go....
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    When I first saw this post I thought it was a bad idea. Like dredging up bad memories. The more I thought about it, I realized it could be more like therapy, like being freed by it.

So my own cousins tormented me throughout elementary and high school, they were merciless. Mind you most of them were not
    thin, don't rub your stomack if it hurts at family functions: you'll get the pregnant question, ex-boyfriends are your ex for a reason when they like to make negative weight comments.

So here are some things that shouldn't come out of peoples mouths.

It's like you have two stomachs
    Have you even tried to lose weight
    Your SO fat, like wow
    You'd be hot if you just lost like 5lbs in the belly
    Loud noises when I walked back
    Your getting to big for that
    You ate all that food
    Hey 'big A' ( really I'm a girl!)
  • lildevil968
    lildevil968 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Three months after my son was born, I was laying on the couch and my husband was on the floor playing with our son. My grandma walked into the room, bent down to talk to my son, and said, "Look at your mama, that's what a beached whale looks like!" She started laughing and left the room. My husband looked and me in total shock. I burst into tears.

OMG Iam so sorry she said that! I would cry to if someone said that crap to me.