Options
    I'm from Kentucky...
    and believe it or not,

I do wear shoes
    I don't have an accent
    I don't run moonshine
    I don't screw my cousin
    And that's just to mention a few haha

Yea right! And I suppose you don't brush your teeth with bourbon either? :laugh:
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Basically every stereotype Canadian's get, I've heard..... Especially the pronunciation of "about".

Yes...this!!!
    and that we live in igloos and it's always cold and snowing...
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

Meh... ethnicity on this hemisphere (eg the North and Western) is almost a moot point... It's easier just to say Canadian or American... because seriously who wants to say English-Danish-Slovinian-German-Swedish... blah blah blah... or to even go even farther because technically calling yourself German or English isn't an ethnicity either... you would have to call yourself Anglo, Saxon, Jute, Celt, etc... Unless you know which tribes your ancestors came from it's just easier to describe "where you came from" by the Country you and/or your parents originated from...

Now that a damper has been placed upon a fun thread.... :grumble:

I swear you just described me :laugh:
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That our state is completely flat and is nothing but a bunch of cornfields. (I'm from Nebraska)

^^^ Me too!!! :bigsmile:
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am from Ohio. The thing I hear the most is.... "Ohio....ok" I guess most people think that Ohio is boring. I'm curious to know what other people think about Ohio?

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ohio!! My Dad is from Akron and I always enjoyed visiting the area as a kid. I was so excited to take my husband and kids to Ohio a couple years ago and they enjoyed it too. We have family everywhere between Uniontown and Columbus. One of the highlights of our last trip was spending a day in Put-in-Bay. Beautiful place!!! And I cannot forget "Amish country". It's one of the most beautiful areas I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. I always look forward to being in Ohio!

Love Put-in-Bay! I live 20 mins. from the lake, straight south of Port Clinton, a short boat ride to the island.

I *love* Put-Out-Bay! I mean, Put-In-Bay (another misconception. Or is it???) :wink:

Hahahaha! That's like Hodessa for Odessa... *lol* BTW, I CANNOT wait to get to Ohio this summer so I can catch up on the now (to me) rollar coasters at CP!

We should do a MFP outing at CP!
  • ytweety5
    ytweety5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    W_I_N_D_Y's post wad too funny.:bigsmile:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Meh... ethnicity on this hemisphere (eg the North and Western) is almost a moot point... It's easier just to say Canadian or American... because seriously who wants to say English-Danish-Slovinian-German-Swedish... blah blah blah... or to even go even farther because technically calling yourself German or English isn't an ethnicity either... you would have to call yourself Anglo, Saxon, Jute, Celt, etc... Unless you know which tribes your ancestors came from it's just easier to describe "where you came from" by the Country you and/or your parents originated from...

*lol* I actually just used my own heritage... except the Celt part... I know know if I have Celtish blood coursing my veins... :wink:

Maybe we are related... :flowerforyou:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Ok, a friend warned me about one of the moderators.

And *boom* I was contacted by one today.

So, I guess it's wrong to defend myself on here.

In this forum someone called me an idiot.

I was only defending myself.

So, sorry if I offended anyone in this feed from ANY country in the world.

Apologies. Off to other social networks where I can say whatever I want.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I'm from upstate New York. Way upstate. In the Adirondacks. It's absolutely the boondocks up here. Anytime I'm traveling and I tell someone I'm from New York, I get, "What was it like to grow up in such a big city?" Or, "wow, the big apple!" Or something along those lines. New York is a lot more than just New York City.

AMEN sista! I live in Virginia now and whenever I saw I'm from NY, they're like THE CITY? No, not the city. Why don't we just say I'm from Canada and call it a day. Thanks. *le sigh

Hummm, where in VA do you live? I have lived in VA for 6 years and I'm right outside Manassas, it's almost all City from Manassas to DC. I am from a big city so I guess other City poepel don't bother me. But I sure do perfer the cows I drive by on the way home and my neighborhood with kids on bikes these days :)
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Basically every stereotype Canadian's get, I've heard..... Especially the pronunciation of "about".

Yes...this!!!

Random 35c heatwaves in the summer... Feels good man :smokin:
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    All of the perceptions about Minnesota are pretty accurate.

We do talk like the actors in the movie "Fargo." Albeit to different degrees. Ya Ubetcha!

We really are the nicest people you'll ever meet.

We'll never take the last piece of anything, that would be rude.

Between the months of October and May, we never drive any where without an extra coat, mittens, stocking cap, blanket, flashlight, food, jumper cables, water, kitty litter, flares, and a shovel in the back of your car.

Charitable pancake "feeds" are a staple in our diet. I have some tickets to sell BTW.

Your family has to own a truck, to tow the boat.

We start wearing shorts when it reaches 50 degrees farenheit. SO WARM!

Amazing how MN and WI sound so much alike! :) Except I typically see people start wearing flip flops and capris around 32 degrees...hey...it's above freezing!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I am from Ohio. The thing I hear the most is.... "Ohio....ok" I guess most people think that Ohio is boring. I'm curious to know what other people think about Ohio?

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ohio!! My Dad is from Akron and I always enjoyed visiting the area as a kid. I was so excited to take my husband and kids to Ohio a couple years ago and they enjoyed it too. We have family everywhere between Uniontown and Columbus. One of the highlights of our last trip was spending a day in Put-in-Bay. Beautiful place!!! And I cannot forget "Amish country". It's one of the most beautiful areas I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. I always look forward to being in Ohio!

Love Put-in-Bay! I live 20 mins. from the lake, straight south of Port Clinton, a short boat ride to the island.

I *love* Put-Out-Bay! I mean, Put-In-Bay (another misconception. Or is it???) :wink:

Hahahaha! That's like Hodessa for Odessa... *lol* BTW, I CANNOT wait to get to Ohio this summer so I can catch up on the now (to me) rollar coasters at CP!

We should do a MFP outing at CP!

I was hoping to go next month when it first opened so I didn't have to worry about all the crowds (I hate waiting 2 hours to get on a 30 second ride)... but it looks like I will have to wait until June... :ohwell:
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

Yes...this!!!

This. And that all our cops ride around on horses.

Also, for those claiming you don't have accents. You do. Everyone has an accent.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ohio and I think a lot of people think there's nothing to do there...but WRONG! I live 20 minutes from Lake Erie, where there is boating, fishing, water sports, and the best theme park in the US--Cedar Point! Ohio also has lots of scenic areas like Hocking Hills (hiking, camping, etc), Amish country (avoid this if you don't have room in your calories for super yummy baked goods and cheeses!), not to mention some really cool shopping and things to do in Cleveland, Cincy, and Columbus. All-in-all, I think Ohio is awesome!

Fremont here too. I agree, this is a great area to live in!
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

*lol* I actually just used my own heritage... except the Celt part... I know know if I have Celtish blood coursing my veins... :wink:

Maybe we are related... :flowerforyou:

If your last name is hukensen maybe we are :flowerforyou: ?
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    RAIN!!

Seattle gets 38 inches/year and the US average is 37. How is that so rainy?

Additionally:
    Where I work - Sequim (zip 98382), WA, gets 17 inches/year
    Where I live - Port Angeles (zip 98362), WA, gets 25 inches/year

And that doesn't even consider all those folks in eastern Washington who get to hear the rain stereotypes in a region that varies from dry pine forests to desert to grain land.

I used to live in Eastern WA (the Tri-Cities) and rain was a rumor to us....
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Los Angeles misconceptions

* Everyone has plastic surgery/boobs/botox/etc - not true - only 80% have it
    * Everyone is an actor/actress - not true - only the waiters/bartenders/insurance salesmen/gym trainers/half my staff/bouncers/and everyone at the gym at 2pm on a Tuesday
    * There are celebrities everywhere - not true - there are none at my house.

But honestly - I think most opinions of LA are pretty on point... its a mess out here & a completely narcissistic city
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    No misconception about Talladega, AL...we have the superspeedway, and that's about it. Just a small, rundown town that hasn't changed much in 25 years.

But where we live is purty
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    That our state is completely flat and is nothing but a bunch of cornfields. (I'm from Nebraska)

GO BIG RED!!! :bigsmile:
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm from a very small town in Illinois close to the Iowa/Illinois border, and when I tell people I'm from Illinois their response is always "oh Chicago?" I always have to say "there are more cities and towns in IL OUTSIDE of Chicago"