Your views on 'CARBOHYDRATES'

Options

Replies

• LeanLifestyle
    Options
    All my carbs comes from mainly veg and oatmeal, but I've heard that vegetable carbohydrates are not broken down as much as oatmeal for example.. is this true?
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Too many calories, regardless of their source lead to body fat. Carbs are the only source of energy that can be utilized by the brain and by red blood cells. They are absolutely essential to life.

No. Carbohydrates are NOT essential to life. You couldn't be more wrong on this.

THIS. They are non-essential.

Carbohydrates are essential to life. They help the brain produce seratonin which makes us happy. If you went 100% carb free you would be very ill. Ask any doctor. That is why the atkins diet does not work. Anyone who thinks you do not need a good balance between carba, protein and fats is just fooling themselves.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/414187-why-do-we-need-carbohydrates-in-our-diet/

Carbohydrates is one of the three macronutrients found in food, along with protein and fat. Each macronutrient has a different role, but all of them provide energy or calories to help your body go through your daily activities. Carbohydrates are actually made up of starches, sugars and fibers and can be found in grains, such as breakfast cereals, rice, pasta, granola bars, baked goods, crackers, legumes, fruits, milk, yogurt and any food that contains sugar.
    Dietary Guidelines
    The "2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans" recommends that about half of your daily calories, or between 45 percent to 65 percent to be exact, be provided by carbohydrates. This amount of carbohydrates corresponds to between 225 g and 325 g of total carbohydrates, of which 25 g to 38 g should be fiber, based on a 2,000-calorie diet. The carbohydrate recommendation can be met by following MyPyramid, which promotes the daily consumption of 5 to 8 oz. of grains, 1.5 to 2 cups of fruits, 3 cups of dairy and up to 265 calories' worth of sugar or processed foods, based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
    Diabetic Diet Food Chart Discover diabetic diet food chart. Great Diabetic options right here. WeKnowMedical.com
    Sponsored Links
    Carbohydrates Role
    While protein serves as a building block to repair and maintain the integrity of your cells, tissues and organs and fat is involved in the production of hormones and is a constituent of the membrane of each of your cells, the main role of carbohydrates is to provide energy. Some of your body cells, especially in your brain and your red blood cells, prefer to run on glucose, a type of sugar that can be obtained through the consumption of carbohydrates. When you exercise, your muscles can also use glucose as their main source of fuel.
    Low-Carbohydrate Diets
    Many low-carb eating plans recommend restricting your carbohydrate intake below 20 percent of your calories, which corresponds to 100 g or less of total carbohydrates a day. Although it is generally advised that the bulk of your calories be provided by carbohydrates, "the lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed," according to the "Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids," published by the Institute of Medicine in 2005. The glucose that is needed by the brain and red blood cells can be manufactured from protein if you reduce your carbohydrate intake. Moreover, if you lower your carbohydrate intake, your body adjusts and switches to using fat as its main source of fuel, providing ketones which can also be used by your brain and various organs as a source of energy. Although carbohydrates provide energy, it is not an essential nutrient if your diet includes adequate amounts of protein and fat.
    Finding The Right Amount of Carbs for You
    Although the recommended carbohydrate intake corresponds to 225 g to 325 g a day, some people benefit from lowering their carbohydrate intake, whether it is to promote fat loss, better manage blood sugar levels or improve blood cholesterol levels. The best way to find out what works best for you is to change your carbohydrate intake, by either increasing or decreasing it, until you find the level that helps you feel energized while helping you reach your weight loss and health goals.
    Atkins - Official Site Lose Up to 15 Pounds in 2 Weeks* Get Your Free Weight Loss Kit Today www.Atkins.com
    Type 2 Diabetes Food Tips Recipes, Meal Planners, and Tools to Help Lead a Healthier Lifestyle. merckengage.com
    Low carb diet meal plan Revolutionary DNA Weight Loss Diet Custom Made & Shipped To You. www.GenoVive.com
    Lose Belly Fat Naturally 3 sneaky hormones destroying your metabolism & how to stop them now. www.RealDose.com/Weight-Loss
    Sponsored Links
    References
    U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: "2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans"
    My Pyramid: Food Groups
    "Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids"; Institute of Medicine Food and Nutrition Board; 2005
    "Nutrition & Metabolism"; The case for low carbohydrate diets in diabetes management; Surender K. Arora, et al.; July 2005
    "Annals of Internal Medicine"; A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet versus a Low-Fat Diet To Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia; William S. Yancy Jr. et al; 2004

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/414187-why-do-we-need-carbohydrates-in-our-diet/#ixzz1rfREfqoR
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs and I would not be able to do the training I do without my carbs so they are good for me.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I ate a diet very high in carbs from the time I started until I reached my goal weight and still do.

This. I do aim for "smarter" carbs, like less simple sugars (candy, cookies) and more complex carbs (veggies, brown rice, etc). It works for me.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not essential for life. Your body can get its required glucose from other sources other than dietary carbs. If they were essential, why is low carb/no carb diets so popular. (Hint, they wouldn't be if they were dangerous.. i.e. essential for life)

Edit: I love my carbs, and I feel like they help me build more muscle. That's just my anecdotal 2 cents. :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Too many calories, regardless of their source lead to body fat. Carbs are the only source of energy that can be utilized by the brain and by red blood cells. They are absolutely essential to life.

No. Carbohydrates are NOT essential to life. You couldn't be more wrong on this.

THIS. They are non-essential.

Carbohydrates are essential to life. They help the brain produce seratonin which makes us happy. If you went 100% carb free you would be very ill. Ask any doctor. That is why the atkins diet does not work. Anyone who thinks you do not need a good balance between carba, protein and fats is just fooling themselves.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/414187-why-do-we-need-carbohydrates-in-our-diet/

Carbohydrates is one of the three macronutrients found in food, along with protein and fat. Each macronutrient has a different role, but all of them provide energy or calories to help your body go through your daily activities. Carbohydrates are actually made up of starches, sugars and fibers and can be found in grains, such as breakfast cereals, rice, pasta, granola bars, baked goods, crackers, legumes, fruits, milk, yogurt and any food that contains sugar.
    Dietary Guidelines
    The "2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans" recommends that about half of your daily calories, or between 45 percent to 65 percent to be exact, be provided by carbohydrates. This amount of carbohydrates corresponds to between 225 g and 325 g of total carbohydrates, of which 25 g to 38 g should be fiber, based on a 2,000-calorie diet. The carbohydrate recommendation can be met by following MyPyramid, which promotes the daily consumption of 5 to 8 oz. of grains, 1.5 to 2 cups of fruits, 3 cups of dairy and up to 265 calories' worth of sugar or processed foods, based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
    Diabetic Diet Food Chart Discover diabetic diet food chart. Great Diabetic options right here. WeKnowMedical.com
    Sponsored Links
    Carbohydrates Role
    While protein serves as a building block to repair and maintain the integrity of your cells, tissues and organs and fat is involved in the production of hormones and is a constituent of the membrane of each of your cells, the main role of carbohydrates is to provide energy. Some of your body cells, especially in your brain and your red blood cells, prefer to run on glucose, a type of sugar that can be obtained through the consumption of carbohydrates. When you exercise, your muscles can also use glucose as their main source of fuel.
    Low-Carbohydrate Diets
    Many low-carb eating plans recommend restricting your carbohydrate intake below 20 percent of your calories, which corresponds to 100 g or less of total carbohydrates a day. Although it is generally advised that the bulk of your calories be provided by carbohydrates, "the lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed," according to the "Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids," published by the Institute of Medicine in 2005. The glucose that is needed by the brain and red blood cells can be manufactured from protein if you reduce your carbohydrate intake. Moreover, if you lower your carbohydrate intake, your body adjusts and switches to using fat as its main source of fuel, providing ketones which can also be used by your brain and various organs as a source of energy. Although carbohydrates provide energy, it is not an essential nutrient if your diet includes adequate amounts of protein and fat.
    Finding The Right Amount of Carbs for You
    Although the recommended carbohydrate intake corresponds to 225 g to 325 g a day, some people benefit from lowering their carbohydrate intake, whether it is to promote fat loss, better manage blood sugar levels or improve blood cholesterol levels. The best way to find out what works best for you is to change your carbohydrate intake, by either increasing or decreasing it, until you find the level that helps you feel energized while helping you reach your weight loss and health goals.
    Atkins - Official Site Lose Up to 15 Pounds in 2 Weeks* Get Your Free Weight Loss Kit Today www.Atkins.com
    Type 2 Diabetes Food Tips Recipes, Meal Planners, and Tools to Help Lead a Healthier Lifestyle. merckengage.com
    Low carb diet meal plan Revolutionary DNA Weight Loss Diet Custom Made & Shipped To You. www.GenoVive.com
    Lose Belly Fat Naturally 3 sneaky hormones destroying your metabolism & how to stop them now. www.RealDose.com/Weight-Loss
    Sponsored Links
    References
    U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: "2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans"
    My Pyramid: Food Groups
    "Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids"; Institute of Medicine Food and Nutrition Board; 2005
    "Nutrition & Metabolism"; The case for low carbohydrate diets in diabetes management; Surender K. Arora, et al.; July 2005
    "Annals of Internal Medicine"; A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet versus a Low-Fat Diet To Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia; William S. Yancy Jr. et al; 2004

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/414187-why-do-we-need-carbohydrates-in-our-diet/#ixzz1rfREfqoR

The human body is able to make glucose as much as the brain needs on a day-to-day basis from other sources. So, AGAIN, carbs are not essential.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. They provide quick energy when your body needs it. My favorite carbs come from pizza and beer. Yeah, I really don't care that they are simple ones :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Carbs are delicious. I eat over 200g of carbs every day. Some "whole" and some not. Like chocolate and such. Hasn't stalled me!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think foods with carbs are the ideal foods. Vegetables? Come on, what is healthier or tastier than vegetables? And fruit and whole grains? Delicious and nutritious!

As long as the carbs are from good sources I say bring on the carbs, baby! They keep me healthy and energetic.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    well If you don't have any monosaccharide ribose (or basics) you're not going to produce co-enzymes such as ATP,FAD etc and your RNA is pretty much structured from it. Quite important.

You body can produce some but it needs ATP(b) in the first place...
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Different bodies react differently to different fuels, and the human body is such an amazingly adaptable machine that you can adjust it (with penalties) to run on any fuel or combination thereof that you want.

Personally, I find that my body works best and I'm the most energetic and least hungry with the pretty standard recommendation of this site as to calorie sources - somewhere just under 1/2 complex carbs, and somewhere under 1/3 of proteins, and the remainder fats. My body really appears to want a balance of the three, and too-high carbs means my energy levels get "spikey" while too-low carbs means my energy levels drop and stay down.

That's what makes this "discussion" so much fun - there's a WHOLE lot of variance of opinion as to what the human body can acually run on, because it can run on a lot of things. There's a lot of science to support any viewpoint you want to take, because the body is so flexible that you can pretty much make anything work for you, and very little solid science to support any of them because no one wants to fund studies unless they can profit from selling you something that is the result of their studies, like a book or a drug.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Without including healthy carbohydrates in your diet, you are at an increased risk for certain adverse health conditions. Eliminating carbohydrates and replacing those calories with fatty sources of protein can increase your intake of saturated fat and cholesterol, known to increase your risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer. Eliminating carbohydrates also eliminates fiber from your diet, which can contribute to constipation and other gastrointestinal problems. Ketosis, a condition that occurs in the body by incomplete fat breakdown, arises with low carbohydrate intake and can cause weakness, nausea, dehydration, dizziness and irritability.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/419298-can-you-live-without-carbohydrates/#ixzz1rfU4u3Vt
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Source of that info?

Essential is something that your body does not produce and you must consume to live. There are essential amino acids (Protein) and essential fatty acids (fat), but there is no essential carbohydrate since the body can produce it's own glucose from fat.
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, any diet that cuts out an entire food group is not healthy. Carbs are not bad and they don't make someone fat. Eating too much and not burning the extra calories you consume is what does make someone fat. The key is calories in and calories out and, clearly, healthy carbs are preferred. Things like whole grain bread, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc. are preferred over processed carbs.

I would also add that eating a no carb or low carb diet or doing any of the other extreme diets that limit you to certain type of foods or specific food groups are not sustainable over a lifetime. On the other hand, eating a balanced and healthy diet and exercising regularly to burn extra calories and retain fitness IS sustainable over a lifetime.

I am 5 feet tall, weight 103 pounds and do triathlons and I would never be able to maintain this level of activity if I did not consume carbs. That being said, you don't have to do triathlons in order to be able to eat carbs. But you do have to do some kind of regular exercise as part of an overall healthy lifestyle, no matter what you eat.

And I think an overall healthy lifestyle should be part of the goal.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I think foods with carbs are the ideal foods. Vegetables? Come on, what is healthier or tastier than vegetables? And fruit and whole grains? Delicious and nutritious!

As long as the carbs are from good sources I say bring on the carbs, baby! They keep me healthy and energetic.

Bcatts! I thought you left MFP? How have ya been?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I'm loving this thread already. So much misinformation right off the bat.

Carbs are controversial and rightfully so. There is too much mixed data on them out there.

I'm reading a book called "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living". Basically the authors are Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek and have been researching low-carb diets for decades with published papers. They believe that the majority of overweight people have varying degrees of intolerance to carbohydrate foods. They say that not only is a low-carbohydrate diet very healthy (often healthier than low-fat diets), but that significant amounts of carbohydrates are not required for athletic performance either.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this thread already. So much misinformation right off the bat.

Carbs are controversial and rightfully so. There is too much mixed data on them out there.

I'm reading a book called "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living". Basically the authors are Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek and have been researching low-carb diets for decades with published papers. They believe that the majority of overweight people have varying degrees of intolerance to carbohydrate foods. They say that not only is a low-carbohydrate diet very healthy (often healthier than low-fat diets), but that carbohydrates are not required for athletic performance either.

Have you read their actual studies, paying particular attention to study design?
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Carbs are so bad! They make me fat! I'm so awesome because I don't eat carbs.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Besides that, low carb is out. Let's all go gluten free instead.
  • Mkeyes44
    Mkeyes44 Posts: 14
    Options

I second that you couldn't be more wrong. The BEST fuel ever... is FAT! Please read my blog on the BIG Fat Lie! I am on a high fat, protein and mineral lifestyle change. We can ALL live without Carbs - "manmade" but we cannot live healthy without FAT! I have more energy than I've ever had, and I don't take in hardly ANY Carbs.

I don't eat ANY bread whatsoever! No pasta - at all... no more! No crackers, no processed foods of any kind, no cereals, anything to do with the grain family... it is ALL bad for you. Serves as NO benefits AT ALL!

I don't count calories, I eat what I want as long as it's real food, and all of it is loaded with FAT! The fat that is good for you comes from, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, animal fat -(LARD)- Omega's ie; fish oils, almond oils!

Bad fats - Vegetable oils of any kind - margarine - reduced fat, or lites... these are all man-made and in fact are killing us! Do some research, you'll be shocked at what you'll find.

So far, since January 19th - I've lost 30lbs - eating real foods, and not cutting my healthy fats. I don't eat anything, that says, fat-free, low-fat, or reduced fat... anything that says that... is BAD BAD BAD for you! Stay away. God made fats from animals, nuts, and healthy real foods, are absolutely healthy in every way!

Real foods: Meats, Poultry, Fish, Nuts, Greens and dark berry fruits... to lose weight, and maintain a healthy lifestyle. When I say carbs... I'm not talking about complex carbs - vegetables and fruits... all healthy if not over cooked.

Carbs - unhealthy... is ANYTHING coming out of a box, or a freezer which has a LOOOOONG expiry date on it.

All healthy food sources should be traced back ONCE to it's original source, if you can't trace it back ONCE - don't eat it! But fats, from real foods, are healthy and essential.

Carbs out of a card board box... not! Also... if you can't get to fresh vegetables, as long as you eat grass fed animals, their liver, heart, etc. and meats with fat... you'll be fine - you'll be healthy!