What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! omigosh...

My biggest pet peeve is people who say "American" and only mean people from the US. This entire block of land on this hemisphere is America. Canadians ARE Americans. *le sigh*
    Sorry you don't like it, but there's nothing wrong with that. The Kingdom of Morocco is commonly known as Morocco; the Republic of Finland is commonly known as Finland. Of course the United States of America is commonly known as America. What else would it be called? "United States" describes the type of government. It's a standard naming convention. We have the right to call our country whatever we want.

Sorry luv, Canadians are not Americans... We are North Americans, we are not Americans.
    [/quote]

This is what I was going to say. She's talking continents now, not countries.
    [/quote]

I'll stop trying to make my point understood since people aren't getting it. As an American, I acknowledge the fact that it's an ease of terms. My problem is that people in the United States forget that there are more than one America.

But whatever, sorry I tried to partake in a conversation.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm from Nova Scotia and people call me a "Newfie" which is what people from Newfoundland are called which is a completely different province. :explode:

Oh and that we move out west to take all good paying jobs... oh wait.. that ones true. :drinker:

And for some folks from Newfoundland "Newfie" is very derogative. We are Newfoundlanders, my poppy would always say, we are NOT newfies....
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I'm from Ontario, Canada.

I have heard people (mostly American's) think that we live in igloos... :noway: :grumble:

Have you heard the song Oh, Canada by Classified? Listen to it. It's completely true.

Love that song!

Same. He opened up for Hedley a couple months back, it was great live.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Try being from Fargo...do you have any idea how many wood chipper jokes I hear? And EVERYONE thinks i have the accent. *sighs*

THIS!

You must be from Minnesota too, huh?

Um...Fargo is in North Dakota...

???
  • Steph70508
    Steph70508 Posts: 110
    Options
    I am from Louisiana and I do not live anywhere near a bayou, I am actually quite intelligent and am not now, nor have I ever married a cousin...I do however use the word y'all frequently, love crawfish and make a mean gumbo :wink:
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    I'm from Nova Scotia and people call me a "Newfie" which is what people from Newfoundland are called which is a completely different province. :explode:

Oh and that we move out west to take all good paying jobs... oh wait.. that ones true. :drinker:

And for some folks from Newfoundland "Newfie" is very derogative. We are Newfoundlanders, my poppy would always say, we are NOT newfies....

I call my Newfie grandpa "Poppy" too.
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    that we all drive convertibles-wear bikinis and act like movie stars!

(if anyone actually gets this I will be slightly impressed)

love that commercial.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm from Mississippi and a lot of people immediately think of racism. While in a Colorado hot tub back in the 90s with some other skiers and telling about where we are from, I said I was from Tupelo, Mississippi.

One guy chimes up, "Hey, isn't that where the Klan is from?"

I reply " No, I don't ever hear of anything about the Klan. Where are you from?"

Smartass guy "I'm from LA"

Knowing he didn't mean Lower Alabama I say " LA? Isn't that where Rodney King is from?"

There were a few chuckles from the others. He left a couple of minutes later.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ...that southerners are all retarded and incestuous.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This is probably my favourite thread ever.
  • Swal02
    Swal02 Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm from Birmingham, England.

Whilst on holiday abroad last year, met a few people that said "You sound like Ozzy (Osbourne)!" This is pretty true, although I'd say my accent is thicker than his, lol.

Can't really think of many others, other than the being called a "know it all" English person before even saying anything. Oh oh .... that we have tea with the Queen and eat cucumber sandwiches. Those were genuine questions ...
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options

my mom was born in Newfoundland. Isn't offended by it. I call myself party newfy. I also call my mom's dad poppy as well
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    that we all drive convertibles-wear bikinis and act like movie stars!

(if anyone actually gets this I will be slightly impressed)

love that commercial.

I'm not gonna lie.... Every time it comes on, it makes me a little more depressed of where I live.

California is on my list of States to see.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    and just to clear up any confusion out there... in the word Illinois, the 'S' is silent :)
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I live about 10 to 15 minutes from the mexican border... we do not have cartel shoot outs here. And this is NOT mexico.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm from upstate New York. Way upstate. In the Adirondacks. It's absolutely the boondocks up here. Anytime I'm traveling and I tell someone I'm from New York, I get, "What was it like to grow up in such a big city?" Or, "wow, the big apple!" Or something along those lines. New York is a lot more than just New York City.

YES!! I also grew up at the foothills of the Adirondacks (Saratoga). Once I moved to Indiana, everyone thought I could see the Statue of Liberty from my front door.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

my mom was born in Newfoundland. Isn't offended by it. I call myself party newfy. I also call my mom's dad poppy as well

Dad's parents are Newfie, and aren't offended by it either. But I know people that do get offended by it.
  • gbsngrl
    gbsngrl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ya know with all these states that are just a bunch of hicks its a wonder we've evolved at all past hunting and gathering.
  • gabimcd
    gabimcd Posts: 9
    Options
    Being from Northern Ireland, there are a number of (usually negative) steriotype associated with this. I now live in Glasgow and upon hearing my accent people often ask if I 1) have I ever seen a bomb and 2) do I eat lots of potatoes - bizzarre reli lol xx
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Can't really think of many others, other than the being called a "know it all" English person before even saying anything. Oh oh .... that we have tea with the Queen and eat cucumber sandwiches. Those were genuine questions ...

So true! Oh and yes I have and I do, but with salmon. :smile: