Views on America

Options

Replies

• doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

But where are the illegal guns coming from? Other nations that have gun regulation do not seem to have the gun problems that the US has. Don't you think there may be some correlation? Also, while I am not a fan of hunting, I respect it but I am curious why the NRA feels that hunters need assault rifles and armor piercing bullets.

My husband is a lifetime NRA member. I've never seen an NRA member use machine guns for hunting.

That would violate the hunting license in every single state in America. Other hunters would turn that person in.

Call me up on the day you see someone hunting with a machine gun.

For real.

Never said hunters used them, but the NRA has lobbied to keep them legal.

Hmmm... I personally think that every household without a felon should be issued an assault rifle (with a trigger lock), in case of invasion or fascist internal takeover, as part of the well-regulated militia clause that our revolutionary founding fathers setup for us. So why wouldn't the National RIFLE association want RIFLE's legal as part of preserving our rights? It seems like only misguided liberals or fascists would be against that.

I enjoy your sideways insult while also saying that your paranoid view is the only valid one. While our Founding Fathers did have a well regulated militia included in the Constitution, the NRA appears to want no gun regulation.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options

Actually we have a lot of people in MA that live in trailer parks, low income housing, and have tarps for roofs.

So, it's a mix.

Sorry that MA appears to be wealthier.

It's really not.

I went to a poor school that was made up of 7 towns (hubby is from another school that is another set of 7). I know that's considered a poor area. MA is anything but wealthy once you get outside of Boston proper.

Just really think before you write something like that.

We have extreme poverty in New England. In fact, half of Maine was unemployed the last I checked (I'm also a taxpayer in Maine).

Was that really necessary? I felt like we were having a nice dialogue.

And just because MA has some trailer parks does not make it a poor state.

Median Household 2009

Massachusetts #6 $64,081
    Alabama #46 $40,489

Massachusetts #7 $60,923
    Alabama #41 $42,218

So, yes, I did think before I wrote something. Massachusetts is a wealthier state, especially compared to Alabama!
  • lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    If I'm being openly honest, as an American, I don't understand how people scream for separation of Church & State.. Then make certain things illegal on the simple fact it's "unholy" or a sin.
    God made up a huge part of our foundation. But that doesn't mean politics have to do with religion.
    The way I see it is, you go all in or you come all out. Can't have it both ways.
    What do I know. I had to drop out of high school for medical reasons.
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of friends in America. I love them to bits. As individuals they're amazing women.

But, err... (damn it, I hope I don't offend anyone right now) monitoring your political situation scares me so bad. Religion has no place in politics and I'm fortunate to live in a country which has separated Church and State.

I just can't get over that you don't have Universal Healthcare.
    I can't get over the abortion bill in Virginia.
    I can't get over the fact that the bill to allow employers to pick and choose what healthcare to cover only marginally got kicked out (we're talking like 4 votes between them).
    I can't get over the fact that someone like Rick Sanitorium could run for president and spread his hateful views on gays, coloured people and women, and name it all as a religious virtue.
    And although I love Barack Obama, I can't get over the fact that your President acts more like a celebrity than he does as a ruler of a country.

But your people. I love your people. For the most part. Everywhere has bad eggs. Just your politics I cannot abide.

Geez, it sounds as if you know more about US politics than most Americans! :laugh:
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I also hate some people's attitudes towards different languages. Why is it that our children are not taught a second language from a small age. My daughter is 5 and she is learning French because her father speaks it. People act like it's dirty. They get pissed that they have to press 1 for English. lol
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    As a proud Canadian I have only traveled to a few different countries and have had my share of rude encounters from people from other countries. But never from my American neighbours. Infact our best family vacations have been to Florida the last few years and we have met the most friendliest people there from all over your country!

On another note I have to say that I love your country's patriotism!
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE America and have always felt like I was born in the wrong country !! - Love most things about it - political situation/views not so but the lifestyle/ way of life love love love x
    With your goatee, cap and earbuds you even look American. :)
  • gmctech
    gmctech Posts: 103 Member
    Options

They likely found out he was an engineer... that's why he had to wait.. LoL... JK gotta get my digs in on engineers every chance i get! :laugh:

I'm married to an engineer and most of my friends are engineers. It's actually a great career. Great benefits. And, you get to use your brain at work.

Dig all you want.

We have 3 houses and travel the world (work hard, two full time jobs, one side business) Engineering has been very rewarding...so think of that the next time you poke fun at an engineer. They happen to be the hardest working group of people I know.

Yup spoken like an engineer! Only 3 houses? hahaha... I don't define myself by my posessions i have toys up the ying yang and make just as much as the engineers i work WITH hahaha Glad to see they sucked the sense of humor out of you! Oh and for your info i use my brain every day just as much as the great engineers i work with, they can take the jokes and so can i! :bigsmile: :tongue:
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I don't hate Americans because I think putting the whole population into one group is wrong but you certainly do have your characters.
    I had a tourist visit my town in canada and he had said something, Im totally not going to repeat it because it was racist and it was just THAT bad.

I visited the states once and I was lost trying to ask for directions guess my canadianism showed through and the literally spat at me and told me to go to my "sh**hole" country.

With that being said, I do have some American Friends and most of my friends on here are American and You guys are awesome! :)

so really just depends on the person it's not fair to lump you all in the same group cause honestly there are some very good people!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I also hate some people's attitudes towards different languages. Why is it that our children are not taught a second language from a small age. My daughter is 5 and she is learning French because her father speaks it. People act like it's dirty. They get pissed that they have to press 1 for English. lol
    Not sure about the education system in PA, but here our students are required to take a foreign language. I don't know anyone who acts like "it's dirty".
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of friends in America. I love them to bits. As individuals they're amazing women.

But, err... (damn it, I hope I don't offend anyone right now) monitoring your political situation scares me so bad. Religion has no place in politics and I'm fortunate to live in a country which has separated Church and State.

I just can't get over that you don't have Universal Healthcare.
    I can't get over the abortion bill in Virginia.
    I can't get over the fact that the bill to allow employers to pick and choose what healthcare to cover only marginally got kicked out (we're talking like 4 votes between them).
    I can't get over the fact that someone like Rick Sanitorium could run for president and spread his hateful views on gays, coloured people and women, and name it all as a religious virtue.
    And although I love Barack Obama, I can't get over the fact that your President acts more like a celebrity than he does as a ruler of a country.

But your people. I love your people. For the most part. Everywhere has bad eggs. Just your politics I cannot abide.

I'm American and everything you posted above does not sit well with me either. I couldn't agree with you more about ALL of it. Especially Santorum.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

American's focus on the constitution like it's some divine document and this prevents your progress. The most developed legal systems in the world do not have a constitution.

yeeeess!!! I am so sick of hearing people say, "But I have the right!"
    Yes, we have the right to bear arms. Guess who has the highest gun death rate probably in the entire world?

South Africa has the highest gun death rate in the world, just FYI.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I live in America and have some bad things to say. Americans are generally selfish. We live in a throw away society. If they have to work for anything they generally don't. If something looks old they throw it away and get a new one. They aren't accepting of anyone with other views than their own. They don't like thinking about people that have to struggle or work hard for anything. They will send millions of dollars to other countries to help the less fortunate but not give $5 to the homeless guy on the corner.

Generally most people here are annoying.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    :Absolutely love America, Iv' e had some great holidays there, but I don't like your tea! neither does my American friends.
    When I visit my friends ask me to bring tons of PG Tips / Tetley tea bags..with me.....got nice coffee though :bigsmile:

That's another thing, American tea is terrible. Couldn't live anywhere that lacks a good brew.

Celestial Seasonings is great and American.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

As for guns, we shall agree to disagree, I hope. I'm with my rightwing brothers and sisters on this one, if nothing else. When the police and military are fighting with batons, we'll give up our guns, too. Not that it doesn't cause problems for us, because it does. And many of those brothers and sisters of mine don't need to be toting guns, and they feel the same way about me!

Catch-22. Your police have guns, so you want guns, fair enough. I wouldn't expect our police to start carrying guns either, so for me, the best result would be neither side having guns. Works well enough in most other countries. I just don't see a need for them.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

That's another thing, American tea is terrible. Couldn't live anywhere that lacks a good brew.

You've never had http://www.smithtea.com/

Come back and say American tea is terrible after trying that. He's the dude that invented Tazo tea (and sold it to Starbucks to fund his other venture). :)

When I lived in England everyone that I met couldn't get over iced tea they thought it was the craziest thing.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I don't hate Americans because I think putting the whole population into one group is wrong but you certainly do have your characters.
    I had a tourist visit my town in canada and he had said something, Im totally not going to repeat it because it was racist and it was just THAT bad.

I visited the states once and I was lost trying to ask for directions guess my canadianism showed through and the literally spat at me and told me to go to my "sh**hole" country.

With that being said, I do have some American Friends and most of my friends on here are American and You guys are awesome! :)

so really just depends on the person it's not fair to lump you all in the same group cause honestly there are some very good people!

Sorry to hear rhay you had those experiences.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    OMG. MI TIERRA'S. My mom is moving to San Antonio this summer, and I'm making sure we go to Mi Tierra's at least one a month. That place is AMAZING!
    We go to San Antonio often, and always eat there, especially for breakfast! I pull my number and wait anxiously to order my pan dulce while we wait for our table!
  • vlaura
    vlaura Posts: 93
    Options
    I'm French and I've been living in the US for a bit more than 18 months now.
    I'm in Alabama so what I say might not count for the rest of the country.

I've never met more lovely people than the people I met down here. I travelled quite a bit in Europe, Asia, and Africa but I can assure you that I've never felt so "at home" and "welcomed" than in the US. I am white and I have a good American accent, it might be why. But I still believe that the south as so much to offer.

There are still some things that makes me wonder what the hell I am doing here. I am living in Alabama but am far far from conservative so it sometimes is hard for me to understand how people can think like they do. I tend to think that I am ok with losing a bit of my freedom if it gives equality for all. And I know that a lot of Americans disagree. America, land of freedom.

The presidential campaign makes me cry, but so does the French one so I cannot complain.

I disagree with a lot of things but sweet tea always makes me feel better.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I'm British.

American's focus on the constitution like it's some divine document and this prevents your progress. The most developed legal systems in the world do not have a constitution.

Most governments have a constitution but it may not be called The Constitution. It is the series of rules and laws by which a nation is ruled.

The UK has the Acts of Parliament as one of the corner stones of their constitutional infrastructure.