Your views on 'CARBOHYDRATES'

Options

Replies

• Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I dont know were you hail from but here in PA. our diets were just as grain based in the 1930's as they are today.

That is absurd and completely false!
    No its not!! But you can try to explain how I am wrong.
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    She is exactly on point. If you are not into googling human physiology, then I suggest you take a human physiology class or for even more basic information, take a nutrition class.
    Too many calories, regardless of their source lead to body fat. Carbs are the only source of energy that can be utilized by the brain and by red blood cells. They are absolutely essential to life.

No. Carbohydrates are NOT essential to life. You couldn't be more wrong on this.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The whitetail deer has about the same digistive system as a cow does

Patently false.
    Please explain!
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • LadyRush
    LadyRush Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I ADORE carbs...good ones...bad ones. So do my thighs..hips...belly....and the back of my arms. So during this journey I eat them in moderation.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Carbs carbs and more carbs... Good muscle builder and preferred source for weight lifting and strength training.

I was on a ketogenic diet long ago and it sucked... Good results but my life suckes cause I was always obsessing about the carbs and eating differently. Now if you can do a no carb or keto diet long term every day then more power to you but.

I can eat 300g carbs stay within my caloric limit, pound it in the gym and drop weight! It all points to calorie balance not carbs, proteins or fats.

Carbs are not essential but protein is and fats are but I have a problem... Why convert proteins into glucose? I eat my protein to help repair my muscles not fuel my glycogen stores.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/75/5/951.2.long Why do most people consider carbohydrates the culprit behind obesity? Its plain stupid. now quality of carbs is important but whats more important is having a balance of all three macros for proper micronutrients and energy production.

it is easier to cut out the middleman though. why use energy to convert fat and starch into simple sugars that we can get from fruit? the human body needs carbohydrates. we aren't like carnivores who get energy from fat when they kill their prey. i think our frugivore ancestors who we share so much in common with are a good indication that fruit (carbohydrates) are a large and natural part of our dietary needs. We run on carbs not fat. i know fat has energy but imo its not the right kind of energy source for us.

Without carbs we can not produce enough serotonin... I feel grumpy on low carbs!

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/carbs.html

Again it all comes down to what works for you!
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The whitetail deer has about the same digistive system as a cow does

Patently false.
    Please explain!

Opps. I stand corrected on the deer. As many as I have skinned I didn't know their stomach had multiple chambers.

But that cracked corn fattens them up real fast!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Plant foods are our only source of fiber, and insufficient fiber in the diet has been associated with insulin resistance.

True regarding the source of fiber, and true only if you are eating too much processed foods or grain derived foods. Insulin resistance is of little concern to someone who doesn't eat processed foods or grains.
    They make us happy, literally, by feeding our neurotransmitters. And people who eat three servings of whole grains a day are 30 per cent less likely to develop type 2 diabetes.

I believe that people who cut grains and processed foods out of their diet completely in most cases lose their type 2 status.

Bottom line eating grains are not necessary or essential as there are better sources of fiber and nutrients in veggies and fruit with less sugar load.

Yes, you are right. I cut grains and processed foods and no longer Type 2 Diabetic.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

I don't eat ANY bread whatsoever! No pasta - at all... no more! No crackers, no processed foods of any kind, no cereals, anything to do with the grain family... it is ALL bad for you. Serves as NO benefits AT ALL!
    What no sammiches:noway: I like sammiches. I put chips and crackers in mine:happy: You are missing out!

You don't need it. The best fuel... BEST is from Healthy essential fats! Grains are for livestock! Healthy diet is the following...

1.) Essential healthy Fats!
    2.) Protein from Meats, Poultry, Fish, Dairy
    3.) Minerals from FRESH green leaf vegetables, and dark berry fruits... avoid starches when losing weight. After weight goal has been reached, go ahead and eat the REAL FOODS that are starchy.

But breads, grains... all of that boxed pasta, all of it is bad!

Umm, livestock doesn't need grains either. Cows were meant to eat grass, not corn, wheat and soy

This is not correct. It is essential that cows eat corn. If they did not, then how would Burger King offer the new Corn on the Cob flavored Whopper????
  • lilojoke
    Options
    Plant foods are our only source of fiber, and insufficient fiber in the diet has been associated with insulin resistance.

True regarding the source of fiber, and true only if you are eating too much processed foods or grain derived foods. Insulin resistance is of little concern to someone who doesn't eat processed foods or grains.
    They make us happy, literally, by feeding our neurotransmitters. And people who eat three servings of whole grains a day are 30 per cent less likely to develop type 2 diabetes.

But you probably cut calories too?

I believe that people who cut grains and processed foods out of their diet completely in most cases lose their type 2 status.

Bottom line eating grains are not necessary or essential as there are better sources of fiber and nutrients in veggies and fruit with less sugar load.

Yes, you are right. I cut grains and processed foods and no longer Type 2 Diabetic.
  • lilojoke
    Options
    obese.jpg

A good question....... If this person only ate carbohydrates that came from vegetables and fruits, would they ever look like this? Even if they ate a calorie surplus?

Eventually yes! Same goes with fat and protein though!
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options

I was on a ketogenic diet long ago and it sucked... Good results but my life suckes cause I was always obsessing about the carbs and eating differently. Now if you can do a no carb or keto diet long term every day then more power to you but.

Without carbs we can not produce enough serotonin... I feel grumpy on low carbs!

Today is day 4 of Keto for me and I can honestly say that, aside from a little dizziness, I feel great. Keto is not for everyone. Personally, if I have a "higher" carb day, say 100g+, I feel super sh***y. I've been netting under 20g for the last 3 days, and even got a new PR on the squat press last night of 270lbs.

As for carbs and serotonin, tryptophan functions as a biochemical precursor. For those who feel grumpy on low carbs, try supplementing with L-tryptophan.
  • lilojoke
    Options

Today is day 4 of Keto for me and I can honestly say that, aside from a little dizziness, I feel great. Keto is not for everyone. Personally, if I have a "higher" carb day, say 100g+, I feel super sh***y. I've been netting under 20g for the last 3 days, and even got a new PR on the squat press last night of 270lbs.

As for carbs and serotonin, tryptophan functions as a biochemical precursor. For those who feel grumpy on low carbs, try supplementing with L-tryptophan.

Why pop a pill when you can eat some oats, fruits or veggies? ;)

I like a carb reduced diet myself but to go say 100g or so its way too low!
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    YES. She looks like that due to an excess of calories. You can eat an excess of calories as a vegan.
    obese.jpg

A good question....... If this person only ate carbohydrates that came from vegetables and fruits, would they ever look like this? Even if they ate a calorie surplus?
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    YES. She looks like that due to an excess of calories. You can eat an excess of calories as a vegan.

a vegan diet consist of mostly carbohydrates right?
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    She is exactly on point. If you are not into googling human physiology, then I suggest you take a human physiology class or for even more basic information, take a nutrition class.

Too many calories, regardless of their source lead to body fat. Carbs are the only source of energy that can be utilized by the brain and by red blood cells. They are absolutely essential to life.

No. Carbohydrates are NOT essential to life. You couldn't be more wrong on this.

someone needs to heed their own advice because carbs are NOT the only source of energy that can be utilized by the brain and red blood cells. By medical necessity I am on a VERY restricted low carb diet, as a matter of fact the closer I can get to zero the better for my health and my brain still functions! I still live and breathe AND I work out! Daily! For a couple of hours! Holy Father will miracles never cease! How can I sit here and function and breathe as I do today without the absolutely LIFE ESSENTIAL carbohydrates!
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    Carbs are in everything you eat more or less. We need carbs for our brain to function. Just be smart about what carbs you eat ie vegetables over highly processed bread.

Carbs FTW!
  • lnicole1625
    lnicole1625 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Carbs are in everything you eat more or less. We need carbs for our brain to function. Just be smart about what carbs you eat ie vegetables over highly processed bread.

Carbs FTW!

In the absence of carbs, our brains can run just fine on ketones.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    obese.jpg

Eventually yes! Same goes with fat and protein though!

Who cares what she eats, get me her number.....