Bye Bye Death Penalty

Options

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian also, and I do agree that if the person is 100% guilty, some people are just evil and deserve to die. For example, there's a murder trial going on in London, ON right now of a man who sexually assaulted and killed a little girl. The most he'll get is 25 years (that's the harshest penalty in Canada), probably eligible for parole after half of that. THAT is sad.

I don't know about Canadian prisons but the first people shanked in the yard in US prisons are people who do things to kids.

This is true. Rapists and child killers won't last long in prison.
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I was born in Texas, that should about sum up my view on the subject.
    ^^^This exactly!!!! If you dont want to pay for your crimes, then dont commit those crimes! You rape and murder my daughter, mother, sister, aunt, cousin, neighbor, or even some random woman I dont know and I say they cant get that needle in your arm fast enough....
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Options
    This will probably be an unpopular opinion - but it amazes me that there are any states in the US that still have the death penalty. It seems medieval to me.

(From Britain)

I think it's when I hear of these horrible crimes and I picture how these people were killed, so brutally and many times for no "reason", (I use that term loosely), I just don't feel they have the right to breath the air that they so quickly and horrifically took from another human being.

Amen!
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    Really...

Put all the really yucky people on a deserted island... and let them take care of each other.
  • Andra01
    Andra01 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe some people here are for the death penalty ! You are nobody in order to decide a price to put on the life of someone else! Moreover, the states with death penalty don't have a lower crime rate. I bet you guys didn't know about this. Also, people who get the death penalty will spend sometimes up to 10 years in the death row.
    This is not an example to criminals: "don't kill or else you will get executed"!!
    I cannot believe some of you here still have conservative thoughts about this barbar procedure!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This will probably be an unpopular opinion - but it amazes me that there are any states in the US that still have the death penalty. It seems medieval to me.

(From Britain)

I think it's when I hear of these horrible crimes and I picture how these people were killed, so brutally and many times for no "reason", (I use that term loosely), I just don't feel they have the right to breath the air that they so quickly and horrifically took from another human being.

Amen!

Nothing like unintended irony.
  • jillybean9881
    jillybean9881 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In theory, I support the death penalty. But in my opinion, it is not delivered in a just way in the US. I think race and the differences in culture have historically played too much of a role in determining those who are given the death penalty and those who are sentenced to life imprisonment (whether this is conscious or not of those on the jury).
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I was born in Texas, that should about sum up my view on the subject.

I'm sure not everybody in Texas thinks your state's particularly kill-happy courts are ok. I mean, Austin is full of hippies and folk singers and whatnot, right? And then there are the Catholics.

Have you read the rest of my posts on this thread?
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Really...

Put all the really yucky people on a deserted island... and let them take care of each other.

They did...it's called Texas zzzziiinngg! I keed, I keed.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm from Florida where we still have the death penalty. There are cases that I believe the death penalty is appropriate for such as Ted Bundy. But most "death penalty" cases only serve to trivialize the punishment. When the death penalty was found not to constitute cruel and unusual punishment by the Supreme Court they expressly ruled that it should be reserved for the worst of the worst offenders where rehabilitation is all but impossible.

Sadly, budget cuts to every part of the legal system have led prisons and jails to cut rehbilitation programs. There is little or no rehabilitation while in jail. As a result people serve more and more time with no hope of rehabilitation.

I have personally toured the State of Florida's death penalty and life imprisonment system. It is actually way cheaper to care for life imprisioned inmates on a daily basis than death penalty inmates. What costs the most money is when death inmates are appointed appeals counsel and spend 10-15 years appealling their sentence. However, if we believe someone is dangerous they should never be released, what is the point of keeping them in jail for 30+ years? Elderly care for life inmates has become the new problem in prisons. We have inmates that can barely walk or talk but because a life sentence is a life sentence they have to remain in jail receiving round the clock guard and medical care.

Going back to the person from Britain who finds the death penalty barbaric. You know the U.S. is the only western country that has maintained the death penalty. That is what I personally find shameful.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/mar/29/death-penalty-countries-world#zoomed-picture
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_capital_punishment_by_country
  • offdutyguy
    Options
    Im 100% for the Death Penalty in cases that are 100 % proven by witnesses and evidence. Especially crimes against children. The only other alternative is to deport them to Irac or afganistan. HAHA
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    It's easy to say that you don't believe in the death penalty....that is, until someone brutally murders your mother and is allowed to live. To experience emotions, have communication with his family....when we don't have our mom anymore. You really don't know until you experience something like that how you'll feel then.

We don't need emotionally-driven justice. We need objectivity in the justice system. I don't think most families are even capable of believing that the suspect could possibly be innocent regardless of what the evidence shows.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    This thread depresses me. Whether or not you believe the death penalty is moral, there are way too many people willing to bypass the justice system and say they'd do it themselves.

Not only does that probably make you among the 10% of the human population that would gladly inflict pain on others without blinking, but it's so un-American. A huge point of democracy is that punishments aren't arbitraily doled out by individuals or those in power. If you want that, go live in an authoritarian state, and pray you don't do anything that would garner someone's wrath.

My parents are in their 60's. My dad is on dialysis - his kidneys are dead, he has a pacemaker, he can barely walk. My mom is only 4'11". A few weeks ago they were robbed in their home at gunpoint by three young kids - my dad apparently can't sit in the garage with the door open late at night and read without his life being put in jeopardy - in a quiet - mostly senior - neighborhood in Myrtle Beach. My mom always said that guns have no place in the house. She has since changed her mind. She will put a bullet into someone if she has to protect her own life and her home. And I don't blame her.

My man went out of town for a week and a half. He made sure I knew how to use the shotgun and that gun sat by me the entire time he was gone. I also had two knives closeby too. I will protect my life and my property.
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yes! I completely believe in "eye for an eye" punishment. I'm all for cutting off hands of theifs , castrating molestors, etc. I think our country could benefit from some serious punishments these days.

I hear Saudi Arabia and Egypt have this code. They seem to be doing great.

Oh yeah, because we are doing a bang up job over here..........
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% for the death penalty.
    I live in CT now and I don't think it should be taken away.

There are some people who just deserve to die - serial murders, serial rapists, etc that can not and will not change with time in prison.
    However, (I may be wrong on this point, please correct me if I am), it is rather expensive to have someone on death row vs life in prison... SO from a financial POV, no death penalty might be the way...

I live in CT as well. i'm just amazed they actually took it away. especially after the trials we've had recently.

i do think that some people should receive the death penalty based on the level of their crime.
  • fightingdissonance
    Options
    The death penalty is barbaric. A self-styled beacon of freedom to still condone state-sponsored killing is hypocritical at best. Too many innocent people have been on death row, and all states in the US should abolish the death penalty. To argue that the people committing crimes punishable by death have lost the right to live in society is a fundamentally flawed one. No one has the right to decide when another should die, whether it be the individual or the government.

I live in Canada, where our death penalty has thankfully been abolished for many years. I'm going to share my personal perspective on this broad issue: a long time ago, my baby cousin was murdered, and my aunt was falsely accused and charged. Over a decade later, her real killer was finally charged and sentenced - aside from pretrial custody, he served 2 years in a federal penitentiary as he was a youth at the time of the sexual assault and killing (we have young offender laws here protecting youth). 2 years. People can serve more time here for drug or theft offenses than that. Make no mistake, he was far from a youth by the time he was charged and sentenced. He was a 25 year old man by this point who had been covering his crime and fuelling suspicion of the falsely accused for over a decade, while expressing zero remorse.

About a month ago, I ran into my aunt. I had been thinking about the death penalty in an unrelated context, and as she studies law now, I asked her for her thoughts: whether as both the direct victim of a killer, and as someone falsely accused of killing her daughter, if she thought the death penalty would have been fitting of his crimes and if our laws should be tougher. Simply recounted, she said no. I agree with her.

Not only does it actually cost more to house a death row inmate than an inmate for life, but no one decides when someone should die. Someone breaking that base human code does not entitle the state to also break that base human code.

We all should have learned it by kindergarten: two wrongs don't make a right. It works for big stuff too.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    my opinion is that if we were all allowed to carry our own weapons with out the government putting such strict laws on how we are allowed to defend ourselves then there would be a lot less violent crimes. However, this would probably cause a huge increase in deaths too but, do you think someone is gonna try to rape a young girl if they aren't really sure if she has a gun and knows how to use it??? Maybe they will still try and maybe she will kill the POS before he has a chance to...problem solved...and YES, I would shoot the POS if it were me. I wouldn't hesitate in the least bit.
    Aso, if our legal system wasn't so twisted up these jerks would never get a chance to be back out on the streets.
    For the person that said it cost more to follow through with the death penalty then to keep them in prison....not sure that makes sense.
    A one time deal to kill them but year after year of crowded prisons, feeding the criminal, allowing him to appeal, suppliying them with a lawyer, oh and the best part.....access to fitness equipment and furthering their education.....WTH, a scumbag gets better care then 90% of the American populatin because he is in prison.
    Forget the death penalty let's get back to hardcore manual labor and chaingangs...chain 'em up and work them to death.

About 4 years ago there was a dramatic increase in conceal carry permits. In the majority of the states that allow conceal carry and have less stict gun laws, violent crime has gone down while states/cities with strict gun laws have seen an increase in violent crime. DC, New York and California have the most strict gun laws and the highest % increase in violent crime according to DOJ data.

Yes, but the extremely strict rules on the conceal carry permit make it virtually unusable...at least in our state. You basically have the right to conceal your weapon while walking aroud your own yard...other then that you can't have it any public place therefore making it pointless to have a conceal carry permit. As an American we ALL have the right to bear arms and can in fact have a gun holstered on our hip at all times as long as it is visible BUT businesses also have the right to not alow you into their establishment soooo you leave your gun in the car and get mugged on your way from the parking lot to the building. It's all a bunch of legal BS that makes it almost impossible to actually carry a concealed weapon. PLUS there is an annual renewal fee for the permit as well as a fee to run your stuff through the local sheriff's dept.....all of this is required each year to renew your permit(in my state anyway). So it's really is a waste of time and money to get a conceal carry permit when I can legaly have my gun on the seat of my car out in plain site. Another thing is look at all the crap you have to go through to get a conceal carry permit yet I walked in the gun shop and in under 30 min. I was in the car with my brand new handgun after never owning a gun in my life.....how hard do you think it is for a criminal to get a weapon but in order to be a "law abiding" citizen" they make you jump through hoops and charge you money every shance they can for doing the responsible thing...again, more BS laws to "protect" people but if we al walked around with a gun on our hip I bet there would be a lot less chances of someone trying to mess with you.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that there shouldbe some regulations to gun ownership but are tey really working??? I was shocked at how easy it was to buy a gun(granted I do't hae a criminal bacground, of course, so my background check went right through) but don't forget that just because that gun is in my name doesn't mean that someone else can't pick it up and use it. OR just because I have a clean record doesn't mean that I didn't buy it with the intent to pass it off to some thug with a bad record( let me be clear here, that is NOT at all what I did)..I'm just saying it is super easy to get a gun even with the most strict of gun laws and your average American is going to follo the law but it really does nothing to actually protect you in the case of a coneal carry permit....just another way to charge you maoney and make you FEEL like yu have some power over your own life but really the gov't STiLL contols your gun very tightly.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    So how does the state compensate someone who was executed then found to be not guilty later ? Factual speaking this happened dozens of times in the 20th century. It's easy to say only execute people who are 100% guilty but we live in a society of due process, are u sayin execute people who confess. Google the west Memphis 3 and see about so called confessions.

The death penalty is overwhelming given to poor minority people. Despite what Fox news and the other right wing fascists say in this country poor black men aren't the only people who commit murder. Is the OP life worth more than mine? Cause God forbid her or an other blonde white woman is a victim in my county the DA in my state (NC) couldn't charge capital murder fast enough.

And I'm not even going to go into what Jesus says.............

This isn't a race issue like you're trying to make it. Crimes should be punished by death when appropriate, regardless of race, religion, sex, etc. There are plenty of serial killers that are white (most actually if memory serves) and several notorious ones have been put to death (Ted Bundy).

As it stands right now in fact here are the statistics for the number of inmates EXECUTED since 1976 in the US by RACE:

Black: 442
    Latino: 99
    White: 724
    Other: 24

Number of current inmates on Death Row by RACE:

Black: 1,335
    Latino: 394
    White: 1,380
    Other: 80

So, don't come to the argument with nonsensical data in which you feel that minorities are getting a raw Death Penalty deal.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/race-death-row-inmates-executed-1976#defend

Also, I'm no Biblical scholar, but pretty sure it talks often about eye for an eye and punishment in like kind for crimes against your fellow man.
    Well you got one thing right your not a biblical scholar cause JESUS , who we as Christians follow, didn't say the much quoted "eye for eye " passage. The bible as we know it is a combination of the Torah and the new testament which is about the life and times of Jesus Christ. Sorry for making you look stupid, use the internet sometimes to cross check your statements.

Also blacks only make up less than 13% of the US population. Whites 72% or so, I know its shrinks every year, so proportionately the #'s show a bias. I know Bill O'reily and your other leaders have convinced you race has no bearing on anything but men lie women lie #s don't.

Oh yea of course you don't care about the racial disparity. Your blue!!

Wow, wild assumptions much? I've never once in my life watched Bill O'Reily, nor do I care about the % of which population is incarcerated, if you did the crime, you need to do the time or pay the price, period. Race has absolutley NO bearing on the choices that I make, and feelings that I have towards people. If you commit a crime like murder and you are white, you deserve to fry, hang, get a bullet in the head, etc. Same goes for being black, asian, hispanic, pink, purple, blue etc!

Also, I think you have your terms mixed up, Blue stands for Democrat/Liberal in this country, and Red for Republican/Conservative. Though it would make more sense if liberals were red, for reasons that should be obvious :laugh:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    The death penalty is barbaric. A self-styled beacon of freedom to still condone state-sponsored killing is hypocritical at best. Too many innocent people have been on death row, and all states in the US should abolish the death penalty. To argue that the people committing crimes punishable by death have lost the right to live in society is a fundamentally flawed one. No one has the right to decide when another should die, whether it be the individual or the government.

I live in Canada, where our death penalty has thankfully been abolished for many years. I'm going to share my personal perspective on this broad issue: a long time ago, my baby cousin was murdered, and my aunt was falsely accused and charged. Over a decade later, her real killer was finally charged and sentenced - aside from pretrial custody, he served 2 years in a federal penitentiary as he was a youth at the time of the sexual assault and killing (we have young offender laws here protecting youth). 2 years. People can serve more time here for drug or theft offenses than that. Make no mistake, he was far from a youth by the time he was charged and sentenced. He was a 25 year old man by this point who had been covering his crime and fuelling suspicion of the falsely accused for over a decade, while expressing zero remorse.

About a month ago, I ran into my aunt. I had been thinking about the death penalty in an unrelated context, and as she studies law now, I asked her for her thoughts: whether as both the direct victim of a killer, and as someone falsely accused of killing her daughter, if she thought the death penalty would have been fitting of his crimes and if our laws should be tougher. Simply recounted, she said no. I agree with her.

Not only does it actually cost more to house a death row inmate than an inmate for life, but no one decides when someone should die. Someone breaking that base human code does not entitle the state to also break that base human code.

We all should have learned it by kindergarten: two wrongs don't make a right. It works for big stuff too.

And how about the argument that keeping extremely violent offenders imprisoned for life poses a direct and immediate threat to other inmates jailed alongside them?? If there's no greater punishment over life without possibility, you become untouchable, and can do, frankly, whatever you want.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    This thread depresses me. Whether or not you believe the death penalty is moral, there are way too many people willing to bypass the justice system and say they'd do it themselves.

Not only does that probably make you among the 10% of the human population that would gladly inflict pain on others without blinking, but it's so un-American. A huge point of democracy is that punishments aren't arbitraily doled out by individuals or those in power. If you want that, go live in an authoritarian state, and pray you don't do anything that would garner someone's wrath.

My parents are in their 60's. My dad is on dialysis - his kidneys are dead, he has a pacemaker, he can barely walk. My mom is only 4'11". A few weeks ago they were robbed in their home at gunpoint by three young kids - my dad apparently can't sit in the garage with the door open late at night and read without his life being put in jeopardy - in a quiet - mostly senior - neighborhood in Myrtle Beach. My mom always said that guns have no place in the house. She has since changed her mind. She will put a bullet into someone if she has to protect her own life and her home. And I don't blame her.

My man went out of town for a week and a half. He made sure I knew how to use the shotgun and that gun sat by me the entire time he was gone. I also had two knives closeby too. I will protect my life and my property.

I didn't say that people don't have the right to protect themselves. I can shoot straighter than most police I've seen at the range I frequent.

What I do mean is the sentiment I've read that "save the money of a trial, of the appeals, and take him out back and put a 9mm between his eyes." That arbritary-ness is scary.